Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times

Advertisements

My kids (14 & 15 yrs old) are doing their first sprint tri next month. They run 4-6 miles 3 days a week and are both competitive swimmers who swim daily and compete frequently (9 meets this month). Their least amount of experience is definitely the cycling, but we are going to do some long rides the next couple of weeks. They are doing this for fun and not because they have specific time goal in mind, but they do have a couple of questions. First, when you are at T1 do you just pull shorts over your swimsuit (female) for the bike portion and then just continue on with the same for running? Do guys pull running shorts over their jammers? Is there any advice you would pass on to them? They don't have any special equipment other than good swim wear and good running shoes, but I am thrilled they want to do this and want to be as encouraging as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Everyone I know who has done one says to practice the transitions. Those are awkward. Some of your workouts should include all 3 workouts, albeit a shorter version, just to practice transitioning.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
The transitions are the toughest. Try and wear something when swimming you can put shorts and a top on over. Use an anti chafing stick everywhere! The first tri is a learning experience to see what works. My first Tri my hands were numb when I came out of the water. After I got my wetsuit off I had a heck of a time trying to get dressed. I did such a poor job on tying my shoes they came undone a mile into the bike ride. I need to invest in gloves for the colder water.
But no matter what it is FUN and a great experience. Good luck to your kids! They may become addicted.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
I bought a tri-suit so I dind't have to worry about this in the transition. You can wear it from swimming, to biking to running. Hope they have a great time!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Practicing the transition is more about time. If you're going for time, you have to do it smoothly and quickly. If not, just take your time. I did a few sprints years ago more for fun than time. I just went with a pair of running shorts, the kind with built-in briefs not basket ball shorts or whatever. Not ideal for the swim or bike, way too much drag. If you're comfortable just running around in jammers or swimsuit, go for it. I haven't really swam since I was a kid, so all I had in the way of swimwear was a baggy pair of board shorts. Same for the girls. If modesty isn't an issue, you can just do the thing in your swimsuit. If you're going to be adding clothes, keep them minimal. Tank top/tankini would be best. Getting form-fitting clothes on when wet is... difficult.

I'd try a few "bricks", that is workouts where you do more than one component back to back. Swimming never feels natural to me, but running after being on a bike... weird.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times
thank you all for your advice! My daughter is planning to swim in her competition suit and then pull on bike shorts and a tank top that is also made of a bathing suit material. She doesn't have the correct bike, but we did get road tires put on her mountain bike and a new seat. She did a trial run yesterday and did fine, but agrees that running after cycling felt really strange. My son has a scheduling conflict and won't be able to race, but I am sure there will be many other opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness