Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,408,599 times

Advertisements

As I begin my road back to fitness, I'm finding a lot of misinformation out there about women's exercise. Can you help me figure out what is true/false?

1. You cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time

2. Running/Jogging/Swimming (any of them solo) will not build muscle on their own

3. Women should never lift more than 5 pounds - they should do Pilates/Yoga/ Resistance Bands instead (this from a personal trainer!) to build muscle

4. If you run/jog, your knees/back will be ruined by the time your 60 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,852,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
As I begin my road back to fitness, I'm finding a lot of misinformation out there about women's exercise. Can you help me figure out what is true/false?

2. Running/Jogging/Swimming (any of them solo) will not build muscle on their own

3. Women should never lift more than 5 pounds - they should do Pilates/Yoga/ Resistance Bands instead (this from a personal trainer!) to build muscle

Let's look at these questions one at a time:

1) There will be individual differences in how quickly someone loses weight or gains muscle. This means that the answer to the question will depend on the person. Most likely, the reason for this belief that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time is that you need to reduce calorie intake below the number of calories you burn in order to lose weight, but you need to maintain some moderately high calorie intake for the tissue formation that goes with building muscle. There seem to be two opposite processes going on--gaining weight in one form while losing it in another--so it's understandable that people might think it's impossible to do.

However, the body works in complex ways. If you work out with a mix of cardio and weights while maintaining a moderate calorie intake, rather than starving yourself, it's possible to slim down while building muscle. Eat a balanced diet while including a little extra protein. Lift heavy weights, because this builds muscle the most effectively. Heavy means something different for each person. A good basic way to go about it is to start out with each exercise lifting a weight you can lift for a maximum of eight reps, then working up to twelve reps, then finding the new weight you can lift a max. of eight times. Once you build up a good conditioning base, you might want to mix in the occasional workout where you lift even heavier weights, something you can lift for only three to five reps.

2) These activities will build some muscle, but not as much as heavy lifting.

3) Women can lift whatever weight they are comfortable with that fits their fitness goals. Just be aware that both sexes will do well to make sure to use proper lifting form for each exercise, and to progress gradually, not trying to lift more than you can really handle just to rush toward some artifically imposed goal. Every body is different. Make progress at your own pace.

4) See the observation in my response to number 3 that every body is different. Running is not the best exercise for everyone. The way to approach running is to ALWAYS make sure you have good shoes, and to aim for gradual, steady progress rather than rushing to run faster and farther. If you follow these guidelines and still find that your joints hurt, you might consult a doctor to make sure whether there isn't something you can do to improve the situation, but pain in the joints may be a sign that you're not built right for running, and you might want to consider another exercise. It's okay, though, to give running a try. Your body will let you know if it's the wrong activity for you. The main risk of serious damage would come from stubbornly trying to stay with running even when you were experiencing joint pain.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
My sister and I worked in food service for a number of years. One particular place we worked closed every January for top to bottom cleaning. Every year we slept and ate and didn't do much else for 30 days and we both gained 15 pounds. Every year the boss accused my sister of being pregnant. Every year she said the same thing: "Wait 30 days". At the end of the month we were back in shape for another 10 months.

Swimming is great exercise. It tones muscles and it's good for the heart. So is walking up and down steps and lifting weights. Eat a little less and exercize a little more. You feel better, you lose weight naturally. Unless you starve and spent 10 hours a day at a gym with a trainer, you won't lose 40 pounds in 3 months.

The older you get the harder it is to lose weight. If you are going to be a runner, chose the right shoes and alternate them. Don't wear the running shoes all day. Don't run in the same pair every day. This is what Iw as told by a running/trainer. You might find you get just as much benefit from being a long distance walker as a runner. It is amazing what five miles a day will do - if you do it every day rain or shine.

My .02 cents from practical experience. . .

Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,077,807 times
Quote:
You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Quote:
Running and swimming work different muscle groups. Most endurance athletes have nice long, lean muscles. It also takes time to build this body type. If you want results more quickly you should add weight work to your exercise routine.

Quote:
3. Women should never lift more than 5 pounds
I'll let the experts on the board address that one!

Quote:
- they should do Pilates/Yoga/ Resistance Bands instead (this from a personal trainer!) to build muscle
I still recommend yoga and/or pilates. Keeps you nice and supple and flexible and are both great workouts for your core.

Quote:
Guess I'd better tell the 60-70 year old runners and triathletes I know.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,134,349 times
I'd like to address number 3. As a 5'3 woman who barely weighs 100lbs, trust me, even I lift significantly more than 5lbs. Besides, for some of those advanced yoga moves, I have to shift most of my body weight to my arms (side plank, crow, armstands, etc

Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,852,537 times
Good point, Anadyr21. The OP's question about a five-pound lifting limit really jumped out at me as a case of her obviously having received incorrect information. All you have to do is think how often most women lift more than five pounds in the course of performing daily chores. A heavy grocery bag probably weighs more than five pounds, and you've most likely carried grocery bags from the car to the house. Think of a young mother carrying kids around. Even a newborn baby weighs seven, eight, nine pounds. That toddler the mother lifts into and out of a crib or a stroller, or swings around in the air while playing a game, weighs substantially more. The idea that suddenly it's not okay to lift this much when the weight is a barbell or dumbbell in a gym is ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,877,808 times
Its scary how much false information is out there. To answer your questions:

1. You CAN lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Weight lifting increases metabolism better than cardio, because it still increases metabolism after your session, while cardio does only during the session. Therefore you are essentially losing and building at the same time.

2. Running and jogging will not build muscle on their own. Swimming would probably do some toning of the shoulders, etc, but I would not rely on that solely for my strength workouts.

3. I can't believe a personal trainer said this!! Of course women should lift more than 5 pounds that is insane! I am a fairly petite person (5'3", 112 lbs), who squats over 100 lbs, benches 50 for chest, does 125 lbs for my calves, (don't laugh its a lot for me), etc. And I am toned but no Mrs. Olympia! This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

*Edit* Yoga and Pilates are indeed good for you, but should supplement your strength workouts, they are not a substitution for them.

4. This is also ridiculous. There are runners and marathoners who are in their 80s who backs are obviously not ruined. Wear quality running shoes, get quality nutrition, maybe take joint support/glucosamine, and stretch and you will be fine.

5. Good luck and be sure not to listen to everything you hear. I would pick up some health/exercise/nutrition magazines and books that are scholarly and have cited sources.

Quote:

Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 AM

968 posts, read 2,580,865 times
Ogre said it best.

I'm LOL'ing at the 5lb question.

You can't add size to your muscles while in cutting mode but you will add strength and definition. I'm assuming thats what you want anyway.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM

37,442 posts, read 45,643,588 times
Quote:
Somehow I managed it. I hear this said all the time, but if you are overweight, you definitely CAN lose fat (and yes, weight) and gain muscle at the same time. I am living proof of that.

Quote:
Look at any runners legs. Yes, the muscles most definitely do get stronger with these, and ANY exercise.

Quote:
I curl with 20 lb. dumbbells.

Quote:
I guess I need to tell all these old geezers in my neighborhood to stop winning races.

Really...you posted this in fun, right?

Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,408,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Really...you posted this in fun, right?

I wish!

Great responses, everyone. Thank you! Believe it or not, as I read about fitness I have read/heard all of these answers, and as I went on there was so much contradiction it was hard to know who to listen to! I was pretty sure the 5lb rule was bull, but it came from Gwyneth Paltrow's trainer (saw it on Oprah), and I kept hearing - from various sources - that you had to focus on losing weight first, then building muscle later. But I also heard that building muscle is the best way to lose fat because it increases metabolism. Oy! I think I'm just going to do what I enjoy and what works for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness