Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,446,635 times

Advertisements

Firstly I'll admit I'm horrendously unfit and haven't done yoga in several years. I just this week started with a very low impact DVD and I know that I'm aching in places because those places haven't had to do any work in ages. BUT my problem is when I'm doing poses that require me to put my weight on my hands and feet. The pain in the heels of my hands is excruciating! I try to shift my weight onto the palms and balls of my feet but so far not very successfully. Will this pain diminish as I persevere and the poses get easier or am I doing something really wrong? Oh and I am using a yoga mat on top of carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,139,855 times
Yoga is never supposed to hurt. You may push yourself to slight discomfort, but if there's pain, either your form is wrong, you're not advanced enough for a particular position, or you're just not quite strong enough.

If you're referring to wrist pain in downward facing dog, that's a commom problem for beginners. Your weight should be equally distributed in both your hands and feet. Also, you should not be on the balls of your feet. You should be trying to get your heels to the floor. It sounds like part of your problem is that you're putting too much weight on your hands, and that they may be closer to a 90 degree angle than a 30-45 degree angle. (This makes more sense if you watch the person in the video).

It will get better as your strength increases. If you can't maintain a position for the same length as the instructor, go into Child's Pose. But you should not feel pain, and you should not be aching, especially if it's low impact yoga.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,675,767 times
Are your muscles sore after like out of shape sore or do they hurt while you are in the poses?

Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,335,244 times
First thing is I think your approach to get more fit is backwards. If you're horribly unfit then doing Yoga is fine but I would reserve that until you've lost weight.

To lose weight, reduce your caloric intake to 75% of the recommended value (for a good guide, see this website: Weight Management: Change your weight for life in one day - Wellness Information | Ray and Terry's Longevity Products)

Eat a balanced diet focusing on the University of Michigan's food pyramid, NOT the FDA's. UM's food pyramid has at the base green leafy veggies, and in the second tier breads. AVOID red meat and eat more fish meat and chicken. AVOID sugar!!! That includes coke of ANY kind (even "diet" or "zero" ... etc). That stuff will give you cancer and/or diabetes anyway ... .

Once you've lost an appreciable amount of weight, and you're simply 20 lb overweight, then start yoga for stretching.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,872,338 times
It's like any kind of exercise. You will hurt (slightly though) and be sore at first. But when you start using those muscles again and use them regulary (3x's a week), they will get accustomed to it. Just keep up the good work and you will get used to it.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,017,551 times
I had the same problem, pain in the wrists. i realized i was putting too much weight on my hands. i shortened the time i held the pose, too. your strength will build up, keep it up! and maybe take 1 class so you can get help learning correct form.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,210,535 times
I agree with taking a class to get proper form or even putting a mirror out so you can see what you are doing. You do not want to over stretch your tendons before they are ready.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 AM

41,864 posts, read 74,912,100 times
It will get easier. Be patient. Hold the pose for as long as you can, and back off. The time you're able to hold the pose will extend as your strength increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Once you've lost an appreciable amount of weight, and you're simply 20 lb overweight, then start yoga for stretching.
This is terrible advice. Anyone can do yoga.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,179,170 times
I am not an expert but if I were you I would try a class instead of a DVD. You can injure yourself doing yoga pretty easily, mainly because people think it is easy because it is low impact. Some yoga poses are excruciating. I am fit and flexible and I struggle with some intermediate poses.

In a class setting the instructor can correct your form and/or suggest modifications for some poses while you build your strength.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,335,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is terrible advice. Anyone can do yoga.

Please explain. If the OP was saying he/she was horribly unfit, how would doing stretching help to lose weight? I understand the Yoga does light aerobics, but the best way to lose weight is not Yoga. It may be great for the joints and overall health, if done right, but for someone who's really unfit the main objective, first, would be to lose weight and get to a point where yoga can start really doing beneficial things. It would take a loooong time doing yoga alone to get into shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness