Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:31 PM

658 posts, read 847,757 times

Advertisements

I have been trying lose the same 10-15 lbs for years. I am pretty active although I hate running and I think running would help get this weight off. Anyway, I am considering doing a low carb diet. I love pasta and breads and I know most of the gained weight is from the carb family. What did you beautiful people do to lose and maintain a healthyy physique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
First of all, change how you eat. Many high carb foods these days also have high fructose corn syrup in it. AVOID that at all costs! Also, when you do eat carb rich foods, like bread eat only unbleached bread.

To lose that 10-15 lb, I would follow the University of Michigan's food pyramid guidelines to a T. Then I would reduce the overall calories I eat. Caloric restriction is the best way to lose weight. Combine that with daily or bidaily exercise, 60 min of bicycling or 30 min of jogging. I prefer bicycle riding because it's more relaxing and easier on the joints.

Finally, it all depends on the body. Have you evaluated your BMI? If you are already at a healthy level, why put it off? Both sexes have indicated they prefer a slightly overweight (and 10-15 is still only slightly) person. My wife put on 10 lb after we married and I find her more attractive now. So did I, but I'm also training to get bigger muscles.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Cardio and calorie control. Or just calorie control.

Don't do the low carb if you really like that stuff. You will just fall off it and gain back what you lost plus a few more. A simple change would be just switch your carbs to whole grain and be aware of your calorie intake need.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,415 times
READ THE INGREDIENTS, DRINK WATER and COOK AT HOME....

I am literally a human food-vacuum. I can out-eat the best of them and have never been obese. Currently I am overweight (per BMI) but most people would still consider me average weight. However, what I was putting in my body was destroying me (fatigue, out of shape, lack of stamina...). I have tried every diet under the sun and found the best diet is no diet and my plan was to read the ingredients and eat 90-95% of my meals at home.

My meats must be organic/all natural. Tripled my intake of vegetables (again fresh and will do frozen but never canned). I will not purchase anything with hydrogenated oils. Ice cream is my weakness, so I will only buy the natural varieties. I will not purchase anything with high fructose corn syrup or corn syrup. If there is an indulgence I love and its easy to prepare...I cook it.

I try to drink 80oz of water daily. The only other "drinks" in my house are prepared tea and the occasional "not from concentrate", no sugar-added juice.

I still go out and enjoy an occasional bad habit but I keep it as infrequent as possible.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM

591 posts, read 663,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerakera View Post
i have been trying lose the same 10-15 lbs for years. I am pretty active although i hate running and i think running would help get this weight off. Anyway, i am considering doing a low carb diet. I love pasta and breads and i know most of the gained weight is from the carb family. What did you beautiful people do to lose and maintain a healthyy physique?
the water drinking is a must. You will notice the change in loosing weight. Ladybee

Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
Add 6 of these to your diet each day.

spinach
broccoli
raw almonds
natural PB
whey protein
berries, all varieties
turkey, chicken or fish
whole grains
grapefruit
unprocessed beans
olive oil
romaine lettuce
avacado

avoid anything with enriched, bleached, hydrogenated, or high fructose corn syrup on the ingredients. Don't eat fruit late at night as they contian high levels of sugar.

You really have to make adjustments when you are trying to lose that last little bit. Its basically finding a proper diet and exercise regimen that works for you. Everyone is different. Its trial and error, and after 2 years I still don't have it quite figured out for myself.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:05 PM

39 posts, read 124,686 times
Running alone didn't do it for me, but when I decided to stop eating after 7pm and to have only light (less than 350 cal) dinners, the pounds started coming off.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM

658 posts, read 847,757 times
You guys never fail! Thanks so much for all of the suggestions, especially that food list above.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:15 PM

124 posts, read 333,739 times
I have been losing on low carb! And the nice thing is that I allow myself some pasta or whatever on the weekends as a reward. Seems to be going okay so far. A traditional cardio and low calorie diet did good for awhile. But I switched to low carb when I stalled. It is not that bad.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 PM

19 posts, read 54,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I have been losing on low carb! And the nice thing is that I allow myself some pasta or whatever on the weekends as a reward. Seems to be going okay so far. A traditional cardio and low calorie diet did good for awhile. But I switched to low carb when I stalled. It is not that bad.

This might sound random and it seems like you have a good handle on your diet and nutrition, but have you ever thought about changing your user name? Studies have shown that having constant subliminal messages like that (I_Feel_Fat_2) can hinder progress towards your goals. What about "I'm_So_Skinny" It may seem silly at first, especially if you dont believe it, but the more your mind takes in that POSITIVE idea about yourself, the more likely you are to make it a reality.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness