Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:36 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,547,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I see this so much linked to exercise. I got the eggs, proteins, veggies. Here is the hard part, can I have a damn slice of whole grain bread or carbs that are starchy ?? I am not a huge fan of oatmeal, what carbs can one eat to eat clean???? List some ideas for all types of clean foods . I cant live my life on eggs, chicken and steamed veggies!!!

low glycemic carbs that are not overprocessed.

regarding oatmeal: scottish steel cut: yummy!

and... veggies are pretty much carbs.... the starchier, the more carbs. low glycemic means less of it turns into sugar in your bloodstream...

potatoes: high glycemic. low glycemic: probably the less exciting veggies...

google low glycemic foods!!!!

have fun & be healthy,

kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,251,564 times
As a long distance cyclist (20 miles is a maintenance ride) I must keep carbs in my diet. As mentioned, staying away from/or reduced processed carbs (white bread, white rice) or from the relishes (sour cream & butter)is important. I tend to watch fat intake more closely- try to make wise low fat choices.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,443,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I see this so much linked to exercise. I got the eggs, proteins, veggies. Here is the hard part, can I have a damn slice of whole grain bread or carbs that are starchy ?? I am not a huge fan of oatmeal, what carbs can one eat to eat clean???? List some ideas for all types of clean foods . I cant live my life on eggs, chicken and steamed veggies!!!

If you want to eat really REALLY clean you need to follow the Macrobiotic diet that thousands of Cancer patients have found help them reverse their disease and eliminate it due to its perfect balancing of foods and pH.

Generally this means whole grains, fresh vegetables and occasionally a fruit.

Vegetables also include sea vegetables which are GREAT at absorbing toxins and providing minerals

Vegetables also would include certain nuts and seeds and legumes and fermented vegetables like Miso

Grains would include whole grain brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet and buckwheat. If you aren't too sick or out of balance you could add in whole wheat, barley and oats but these are gluten grains and can act like glue and clog up your system.

For snacks if you crave carbs, try a rice cake with apple sauce and cinnamon and a few raisins on it if you want something filling and sweet. Try a rice cake with hummus and some veggie garnish if you want something savory. Another sweet option would be a rice cake with almond butter (not peanut butter) almoond butter is MUCH better for you and some natural jelly without chemicals or sugar or fruit preserves without sugar.

Certain herbs are WONDERFUL for a clean diet but again they should be used carefully. Find out how to use them by reading up on Macrobiotic diets.

Meat. eggs and cheese are used VERY sparingly in a macrobiotic diet.

If you are disciplined to stick with it and do it right, getting sick is nearly impossible.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,547,037 times
Default regarding cancer patients etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
low glycemic carbs that are not overprocessed.

regarding oatmeal: scottish steel cut: yummy!

and... veggies are pretty much carbs.... the starchier, the more carbs. low glycemic means less of it turns into sugar in your bloodstream...

potatoes: high glycemic. low glycemic: probably the less exciting veggies...

google low glycemic foods!!!!

have fun & be healthy,

kate

personally, i love the "zone" concept as presented by Dr. Barry Sears. it helps me with metabolic issues that are related to insulin, although i don't have diabetes.

however, more & more I hear of people espousing the "alkaline vs acidic" diet. one of my cousins is the most well kept of my relatives. he's always been the cool dude, put together, well spoken & good looking. i asked him what he's into these days & he said what most people i hear are saying....

he asked his dentist for a recommendation for a good eating style & was advised to go with the alkaline lifestyle. cancer, it's said, hates an alkaline environment. i read in an old prevention style book that when the body becomes overly acidic, the body releases ammonia into the bloodstream, which is an unhealthy state. this may have been an oversimplification but it made sense to me. anything that helps prevent or slows down oxidation is ultimately good for our bodies.

for all it's worth: i want to be more on the alkaline side but it's asking alot!

it took me a long time to get a grip on the zone!

kate

Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,200 times
I am not ready to be on the macrobiotic diet yet (I love cheese and ice cream too much and can't except substitutes). In general, my goal is to eat minimally processed foods. I cook at home. I hope to be mixing/baking my own bread by the end of the year. I buy produce and meats from the farmers market. The only thing I buy "packaged" are nuts, grains, herbs. Every meal I have to prepared (exception cereals). I feel good about this transition because its adopting a way of life I should have been living all along. I like the control I feel have over my diet and what goes into my body.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,021,020 times
cityhopper, i admire your lifestyle. i wish i had the willpower like that. We try to be 'unprocessed' as much as we can but it's tough.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
cityhopper, i admire your lifestyle. i wish i had the willpower like that. We try to be 'unprocessed' as much as we can but it's tough.
Thanks. Its not easy...and I am not perfect. From time to time I go out to eat but I am selective in the places I choose (example, french bakery vs. dunkin' donuts). I should also mention with me being home more, it has given me more time to transition and get comfortable with this way of life.

I have found that I get full quicker and feel satisfied. Without directly trying, I automatically eat smaller portions. I am not a great cook but am learning. I also realized its a lot easier to recreate those "processed" dishes at home in a decent time, with better quality product at an equal or lesser price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness