Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that since I started working out, I eat less - especially if my husband and I work out just before lunch. We're just not as hungry. This "phenomenon" became very apparent this past weekend when I didn't work out for 4 days because in-laws came to visit. Sure we did some walking and shopping but nothing like working out for 2 hours and I noticed I ate more this past weekend and was hungry more often. Maybe someone else can identify with me? Or am I just a weirdo?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM

157 posts, read 479,315 times
Foma, I don't have much of an appetite after I exercise. When I work out in the evening, sometimes I skip dinner and just relax. My appetite comes and goes especially during warm weather. I'm just not hungry.

Your body might experience temporary changes like appetite. Once your body becomes used to exercising, the changes plateau but that is only after you have been exercising hard enough for an extended period of time (weeks..maybe longer). When that happens, be sure to mix up your routine, alternating between types of exercise and days.

Last edited by desertgirl; 05-01-2007 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Well, I've been working out for just over a month now and haven't missed more than 2 days of exercising up until this past weekend. I don't know what kind of changes you are referring to so maybe you can elaborate if you have time? I have noticed that I'm at a point where I "enjoy" working out, like my body feels weird if I don't work out that day. I have a long ways to go - need to lose 70 lbs before our "starting a family" goal and then another 60 lbs (plus whatever baby weight I gain!) after that to be at a "normal" weight. Man, I can't "weight" to be normal!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
It works that way for me. More exercise equals less hunger!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:23 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
I noticed that very same thing! The more I exercise, the faster I feel "full" when I eat. I was wondering what that was about, and it's interesting to read others have that same effect.

So exercise has a double benefit - stokes the metabolism AND cuts the appetite. Who knew?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
ok I guess I am the odd one out . I still want to eat
The only thing that curbs my hunger is when I am out working in the yard and gardens. I think it has something to do with the heat.

We would love to have you all join our daily exercise thread we really are a fun group.
Many have found it a good motivation plus we get a little silly at times

karla

Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
I guess with me, I don't get hungry, but my daughter on the other hand she can eat like I have never feed her. She is still a growing little girl, but as long as she gets excersise with me I am ok with her grabbing something when she gets back home.
We didn't take the Yorkies out today, they were still wore out from yesterday, and I don't think that they could make it as far as we walk. They get to go for a mile walk, that is one thing I found out today while in my car, it is a half a mile to the end of our road, so if we walk them down to the end of the road and back it is a mile for them, yeah!!!!!
We are jumping in on the bandwagon, now I just have to make sur I come in and post everyday!!! Have a good one. Yorkie

Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
When I don't exercise I get the munchies. I don't want a meal just little things. Sometimes I want to put a lock on the kitchen door and throw the key away.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 AM

157 posts, read 479,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Man, I can't "weight" to be normal!
That is a good one. Very witty. You are normal but I get the gist of what you’e saying.

Quote:
I have noticed that I'm at a point where I "enjoy" working out, like my body feels weird if I don't work out that day.
I commend you for exercising and reaching the point where you feel you must exercise to feel good. I call that my *runner’s high* version of the gym and a point of no return for me. It’s a feeling that, in my experience, never goes away even if I lapse in my exercise habits and not go for some time. I will always want to exercise.

Quote:
Well, I've been working out for just over a month now and haven't missed more than 2 days of exercising up until this past weekend. I don't know what kind of changes you are referring to so maybe you can elaborate if you have time?
I’ve found that my appetite was suppressed immediately after I exercise and during the day. Over the longer term, it went back up as I had to keep up my calorie intake in order to maintain my strength and energy level as I progressed to more difficult exercise regimes. Otherwise, I would feel weak and unable to place enough exertion on my muscles when working with machines or free weights. Aerobic activity, in my experience, tends to suppress appetite. In any case, healthy eating is key to losing weight.

Other changes will be a rapid reduction in fat (everyone has fat) and an increase in muscle mass which varies from person to person and depending upon the exercise regime. Muscle burns much more calories than fat even when one is resting or sleeping.

(More changes come in the form of lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and lower resting pulse rate….the works. Having said that, it’s better to be in tune to how good you feel, and how your clothes fit than to pay any much attention to weight scales, and other measurements).

I recommended mixing up the routines so that your muscles will always be tested and stressed in different ways to prevent *muscle memory*, a phase where muscles literally memorize the exertion placed on them and then stops responding making it more diffcult to achieve the desired results.

There are some fitness magazines that regularly feature true life stories about people whose goals were to lose anywhere from 50 to 200+ lbs. Most started with simple activities like walking, then graduated to gyms where they lost weight rapidly in the beginning. *Beginning* meaning anywhere from several months to 15 months. After that, some reached a plateau stage where they could not lose any more weight. At that point, mixing up their activities, (i.e., varying weight and machine routines, and trying different types of aerobics) dramatically jump started their weight loss again to the point where they lost it all….and kept it off. Awesome.

I’m so glad you enjoy exercising. You are very inspiring and will be able to achieve your goals with such a positive attitude.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I know I eat less when I exercise and in addition am in general actively busy for most of the day....I am retired and when I spend my day in the garden, running errands, meeting with friends, doing chores, etc., I just eat less because I'm not home alone with the refrigerator and nothing to do. My husband and I walk 3 to 6 miles 4 to 5 times a week but that does not keep me from gaining weight if I am not very active the rest of the time, bored and around food all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness