Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,073,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
My point about steroids, is that unless you are taking them, their advice will probably be useless to you.
I should not have posted that video. It's just a distraction and it's playing into people's steroid-madness and steroid phobia.

Although steroid users must do use a different approach. All the things that they are talking about in this particular video apply to anybody who is trying to build lean muscle and burn body fat.

Personally I have never used steroids. And all the things that they say in this particular video seem right on to me and what I think works.

WHY do you all think high reps burn fat? Explain this please. If you do 15 reps instead of 6, your are probably burning like what.....10 extra calories? The numbers are simply too small to make a difference.

Let's just use some logic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,152,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I should not have posted that video. It's just a distraction and it's playing into people's steroid-madness and steroid phobia.

Although steroid users must do use a different approach. All the things that they are talking about in this particular video apply to anybody who is trying to build lean muscle and burn body fat.

Personally I have never used steroids. And all the things that they say in this particular video seem right on to me and what I think works.

WHY do you all think high reps burn fat? Explain this please. If you do 15 reps instead of 6, your are probably burning like what.....10 extra calories? The numbers are simply too small to make a difference.

Let's just use some logic here.
I'm just saying, as long as I don't take steroids, I'll listen to the advice of natural bodybuilders.
Any movement uses energy, and has the potential to "burn fat".

Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying, as long as I don't take steroids, I'll listen to the advice of natural bodybuilders.
Any movement uses energy, and has the potential to "burn fat".
Dude, forget about steroids. That's not what i'm talking about.....

What i'm saying is that rather than do high repetitions, and try to combine mucsle building with fat loss. You are better off lifting weights for maximum muscle growth, and adding cardio for maximum fat burning.

What's the point of using weight lifting to burn fat? When you can simply do some cardio before or after your weight training instead? You will burn a LOT more calories this way, and you'll be able to maximise muscular growth with your weight lifting.

This is how every good NATURAL or unnatural bodybuilder trains. When they lift weights, they focus on building their muscles to the max. For fat loss, they sweat it out on cardio. They NEVER do this high rep for fat loss nonsense.

What's the point of trying to combine the two? Seems to me like all you will end up doing is compromising your fat loss and muscular growth, in an attempt to combine the two.

Just doesn't make sense to me. And no good bodybuilders I know do this. It seems like it's all total newbies who do this, no offense.

Good bodybulders lift hard to build up their muscles. And do cardio to burn the fat.

Try to combine the two into high repetition weight training. And you will not build your muscles well, or burn fat well.

High repetition weight training WILL get you in shape, any training will eventually. It is simply a much worse method that no experienced weight lifter would ever do. It's not as effective as focusing on pumping up your muscles with weights. And doing cardio to burn fat.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Dude, forget about steroids. That's not what i'm talking about.....

What i'm saying is that rather than do high repetitions, and try to combine mucsle building with fat loss. You are better off lifting weights for maximum muscle growth, and adding cardio for maximum fat burning.

What's the point of using weight lifting to burn fat? When you can simply do some cardio before or after your weight training instead? You will burn a LOT more calories this way, and you'll be able to maximise muscular growth with your weight lifting.

This is how every good NATURAL or unnatural bodybuilder trains. When they lift weights, they focus on building their muscles to the max. For fat loss, they sweat it out on cardio. They NEVER do this high rep for fat loss nonsense.

What's the point of trying to combine the two? Seems to me like all you will end up doing is compromising your fat loss and muscular growth, in an attempt to combine the two.

Just doesn't make sense to me. And no good bodybuilders I know do this. It seems like it's all total newbies who do this, no offense.

Good bodybulders lift hard to build up their muscles. And do cardio to burn the fat.

Try to combine the two into high repetition weight training. And you will not build your muscles well, or burn fat well.

High repetition weight training WILL get you in shape, any training will eventually. It is simply a much worse method that no experienced weight lifter would ever do. It's not as effective as focusing on pumping up your muscles with weights. And doing cardio to burn fat.
I never claimed one was better then another. You are just rehearsing your preconceived ideas, without reading what I have said. this is no way to have a discussion.
While you are on steroids you will burn more fat. I am saying that I would rather take advice from someone who has achieve loosing weight (myself included) and is not on steroids, then someone who has a clear advantage.

Any exercise will make you loose weight. You should not stick to one sort of exercise if you are trying to loose weight. Your body will adapt, and find a way to slow you down.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I never claimed one was better then another. You are just rehearsing your preconceived ideas, without reading what I have said. this is no way to have a discussion.
While you are on steroids you will burn more fat. I am saying that I would rather take advice from someone who has achieve loosing weight (myself included) and is not on steroids, then someone who has a clear advantage.

Any exercise will make you loose weight. You should not stick to one sort of exercise if you are trying to loose weight. Your body will adapt, and find a way to slow you down.
The bottom line. Weight lifting is good for working your muscles, not good for burning fat.

Cardio is good for buning fat, not good for building muscle.

Use these exercises to reap their benefits. Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Yes, your body does adapt, and you should constantly change your routine. But this has nothing to do with the concept of using weight lifting to burn fat.

Weight lifting- build muscles.

Cardio- burn fat.

Yes weight lifting does burn SOME fat. And yes, doing cardio will build SOME muscle. But using them for these vice-versa purposes is not nearly as effective as using these exercises for what they are good for.

Hopefully that is more clear. It's a VERY simple concept.....

If you want to waste your time in the gym. Keep on doing it though man. You're just slowing down your own progress and making me look better in comparison

Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 PM

37,424 posts, read 45,616,465 times
Quote:
Any exercise will make you loose weight. You should not stick to one sort of exercise if you are trying to loose weight.
Still?? Arrrggghhh....

Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
The bottom line. Weight lifting is good for working your muscles, not good for burning fat.
Use these exercises to reap their benefits. Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Yes, your body does adapt, and you should constantly change your routine. But this has nothing to do with the concept of using weight lifting to burn fat.
Cardio- burn fat.
Yes weight lifting does burn SOME fat. And yes, doing cardio will build SOME muscle. But using them for these vice-versa purposes is not nearly as effective as using these exercises for what they are good for.
If you want to waste your time in the gym. Keep on doing it though man. You're just slowing down your own progress and making me look better in comparison
The more muscle you have the more fat you are able to burn

Do both cardio and weight training if you want to loose weight. It is very scary how you keep trying to turn this into a **** measuring contest.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Still?? Arrrggghhh....
Fair enough. Loose "body fat".

Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,590,209 times
Quote:

Cardio- burn fat.

If you are talking about spot reduction, then you are correct, high reps will not spot reduce. If you are talking about general fat burning, you are dead wrong.

And what do you call high reps anyway? Whats the magic numer? 12? 15? 25? 100?

And not everyone is looking to build tons of muscle, and not everyone is a bodybuilder. Some people are looking for a combination of being muscular, lean, and well conditioned.

Actually, if you want to look at prime examples of high reps vs low reps and its effect on bodyfat, look at powerlifters vs. strongman competitors. Powerlifters are one rep max guys who move the most amount of weight they possibly can for a single rep and the vast majority of their training revolves around reps of less than 5. Strongmen, on the other hand, lift very heavy for a lot of reps. Deadlifting the front end of a car for reps. Flipping an 800 pound tire for distance. Holding 80 pound objects at arms length for time. Though it is not always the case, strongmen are almost always leaner than powerlifters.

What is cardio anyway? It is something you do to elevate heartrate for a given amount of time. So who cares if I do it on a treadmill or in the powerrack with a giant set of squats, pull-ups, push-ups, cleans, and push presses?

Again though, if you are talking about spot reduction, like doing endless ab work to get a six pack, I would agree, that isn't going to help do anything but firm up the muscles, not much for fat burning.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 AM

37,424 posts, read 45,616,465 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Loose "body fat".
What is "loose body fat"? Is that body fat that has become unattached somehow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness