Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times

Advertisements

I'd like to invest in a good pair of walking/running shoes now that I have a dog

What's your best recommendation? Preferably for someone overweight and having wider feet. Spill your secrets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
It depends. If you have low arches and tend to overpronate like I do, I would go with Brooks Addiction. I'm an overweight woman with wider feet and they are the best athletic shoes I've purchased so far.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Go to a running store and have them look at your feet to make a recommendation. Everyone is different. The way you walk is different from the way I walk high arches and all. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
I always make sure I pick a pair approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association (www.apma.org) and the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine (www.aapsm.org)

Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,022 times
As others have said go to a running store and talk to an expert. Some places will even scan your foot to figure out what is best for you. They will also have you bring in some old shoes to look at the wear on them.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
I wear water shoes that cost 10 bucks. Spent literally thousands of dollars on all the expensive Nike's, New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, etc, only to find that my feet are much better off not being put into a 12 ounce cast known as an athletic shoe.

Yep, call me crazy, but I am a shoe minimalist. I started doing very short walks barefoot in the mornings to build up foot strength slowly, allowing the tendons, ligaments, muscles to realign and strengthen. I now run barefoot 3/4 mile 3 times per week and it feels awesome. I will be up to 2 miles by the end of this year, if not more. I still run in some of my clunky old New Balance shoes while my feet and legs are strengthening up more for barefooting.

So yeah, you can go out and get the expensive, heavy shoes sold for running and walking, but you could also do some reading up on walking/running either barefoot or with minimalist shoes and see if you like that as an option. Some people aren't into it, but a lot of people who try it are very happy with it since our shoes are the best shock absorbers for the body.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I wear water shoes that cost 10 bucks. Spent literally thousands of dollars on all the expensive Nike's, New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, etc, only to find that my feet are much better off not being put into a 12 ounce cast known as an athletic shoe.

Yep, call me crazy, but I am a shoe minimalist. I started doing very short walks barefoot in the mornings to build up foot strength slowly, allowing the tendons, ligaments, muscles to realign and strengthen. I now run barefoot 3/4 mile 3 times per week and it feels awesome. I will be up to 2 miles by the end of this year, if not more. I still run in some of my clunky old New Balance shoes while my feet and legs are strengthening up more for barefooting.

So yeah, you can go out and get the expensive, heavy shoes sold for running and walking, but you could also do some reading up on walking/running either barefoot or with minimalist shoes and see if you like that as an option. Some people aren't into it, but a lot of people who try it are very happy with it since our shoes are the best shock absorbers for the body.
Vibram Five Fingers shoes would be nice to have. However, runnng barefoot for most people is not an option. If you have a rubber track and field track to run on fine, but most of us like trail, pavement and dirt running which prohibits running with bare feet.

OP, as others have said, visit a true running store for an evaluation. You said that you want to "invest in a good pair of running shoes" so here's your chance to do it properly. Find a store in your area and be prepared to spend 40-50 minutes there so you can be fitted properly with shoes perfect for YOU.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
There is nothing heavy about a good pair of running shoes. Mine are quite light, and extremely comfortable. Unless I am walking on sand, there is nothing more comfortable on my feet. I realize a few people ARE into barefoot running, and I have seen some pictures of their feet. No thanks.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
I overpronate and have wide feet. I absolutely LOVE my Nike Structure Triax+ shoes.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:

I train for sprinting events and I sometimes train barefoot in the middle of a grass football field, just as you said, because it helps strengthen the little muscles in your feet and toes.

Also, just as you said, the simple shoes are the best; all this "technology" that these shoe company's put out are nothing but gimmicks to give them another reason to sell a overpriced shoe that was made in china that only cost a few dollars to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness