Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

Aside from crunches, any suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't kill my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Aside from crunches, any suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't kill my back.
The only way to get a flat stomach, is to lower you body fat level. Crunches may build up the muscles under the fat, but it and any other exercise will not give you a flat stomach.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
The only way to get a flat stomach, is to lower you body fat level. Crunches may build up the muscles under the fat, but it and any other exercise will not give you a flat stomach.

You sure about that?
O.P. ... you might want to post this question over on the exercise and fitness forum.
I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.
//www.city-data.com/forum/exercise-fitness/

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM

259 posts, read 732,256 times
hula hooping is a great way! put on some tunes and just hoop! or watch tv...talk on the phone...hoop with friends...
there are a bunch of youtube videos on it too if you want to check it out...

(if you're into more "conventional" workouts, Pilates on a machine is wonderful for strengthening your core.)

Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
You sure about that?
O.P. ... you might want to post this question over on the exercise and fitness forum.
Yes, you may burn some fat reducing you overall body fat, but it is no more effective at giving you a flat stomach as doing any other anaerobic exercise.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Quote:
I have done that and still working on it. After 40 things just don't go back to the way they were, especially for women. So you are saying there is no exercise that can make your stomach flat or at least help in that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
You sure about that?
Thank you! I'm a moderator and didn't even know there was an area for exercise. I'll switch it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriekate View Post
hula hooping is a great way! put on some tunes and just hoop! or watch tv...talk on the phone...hoop with friends...
there are a bunch of youtube videos on it too if you want to check it out...

(if you're into more "conventional" workouts, Pilates on a machine is wonderful for strengthening your core.)
I do like the hula hoop idea but I wonder if it will aggravate my back problems. I guess I can try it!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Yep, diet, cardio and genetics give you a flat stomach. Ab exercises should be part of your routine for an overall strong body, but they aren't going to flatten your stomach.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yep, diet, cardio and genetics give you a flat stomach. Ab exercises should be part of your routine for an overall strong body, but they aren't going to flatten your stomach.
Most important for me is what strengthening the stomach area does for relieving lower back pains! Avoiding a pot belly is a No. 1 must for people with lower back pain.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I have done that and still working on it. After 40 things just don't go back to the way they were, especially for women. So you are saying there is no exercise that can make your stomach flat or at least help in that area?
Nope. That is one of the biggest myths perpetrated all over the internet. A flat stomach is FLAT when there is no FAT on it. You cannot target fat loss to a specific area of the body. Work on fat loss, and it will come off, eventually.
You cannot control the order of the areas where the fat burns off, just like you can't control the order of the areas where you gain it. THAT is controlled by genetics, and that is why we have so many different body shapes.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 AM

72 posts, read 279,495 times
Quote:

Try an Ab Lounger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness