Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Room-temperature water. Cold water makes me feel sick when I am working hard.
I am soooooo with you on this one. Its always room temperature water for me.

Also, on my runs, I do a 5k loop. I HATE carrying anything with me so I leave the water in the car. I'll have a bit before my run, nothing while running, then at the end, after stretching, I'll drink my water and eat a banana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I am soooooo with you on this one. Its always room temperature water for me.

Also, on my runs, I do a 5k loop. I HATE carrying anything with me so I leave the water in the car. I'll have a bit before my run, nothing while running, then at the end, after stretching, I'll drink my water and eat a banana.
It's funny: if I try to drink cold water, my throat closes up. I don't think my body wants it.

I'm sure you've seen those belts that some runners wear with the little bottles. I'm thinking of getting a couple of those for us. My husband and I have been walking a lot (4 to 5 miles, sometimes more), and I hate carrying a water bottle too. If I do bring a bottle, I drink it all before we get very far.

My husband has a camelback that he uses when he rollerblades or goes out on his motorcycle. He went rollerblading yesterday for 12 miles and didn't bring any water! Luckily he ran into a guy playing basketball in a park, and that guy had a jug. Foolish ... I scolded him a little bit. We've had some flooding, so he ended up going much farther than planned so he could take some pictures.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Possibly you are drinking too much water with each intake, or it's too cold. Try room temperature sipping to see if you still cramp. I used to get sick if I ran on an empty stomach, but found a half-teaspoon of honey resolved that problem. If the low-dose Gatorade works for you, and water doesn't, do what works. Each body is unique.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I know that the general rule is that if you're doing cardio for less than an hour, water is recommended because of the fact that your body doesn't need the salt/electrolytes/added calories in sports drinks for a "small" amount of activity.

However, I've realized that if I just drink water alone I get cramps while running. If a put about a tablespoon of Gatorade powder into my liter water bottle and drink that before/during my run, I'm fine--no cramps. How odd.

I've tested this over and over again and it seems to be true each time; water = cramps, sports drink = no cramps.

Anyhow, my question is, do you drink water or a sports drink during your workouts? Which type do you prefer? I've been buying the G2 (low calorie) powder in bulk from Costco and using about half the serving it recommends.
I don't drink anything durring a workout unless I absolutley have to....I ususally wait until after my workout (which is typically an hour). My Fiance' is a mountain bike fanatic, he is out for hours at a time in the Az heat so he has to drink water......he takes salt packets with him and will take a quarter or half of a salt packet with 8 ounces of water to wash it down and he is good to go for another hour or so.....the salt allows the water to remain in your system longer and prevent dehydration.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm sure you've seen those belts that some runners wear with the little bottles. I'm thinking of getting a couple of those for us.
I have one -- a double-holstered model -- and it's awfully handy for longer jaunts and a necessity on anything 10K or longer. But if I'm out on the trail or the streets for less than an hour or so, I'll wait to drink until afterward. I can't stand having anything sloshing around in my stomach while I'm working out.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Just water- and a LOT of it. The thought of drinking a sugary drink such as Gatorade while/after I workout makes my stomach turn.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
I just drink plain old water, with the exception of long bike rides. I have a 100 ride tour coming up, and for that I will alternate between water and a sports drink by a 2-to-1 ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness