Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times

Advertisements

my routine for working out my pecs has always been pretty simple:

-incline bench press
-flat bench press
-decline bench press

then, i follow up the bench press exercises with some chest fly exercises:
-incline chest fly
-flat chest fly
-decline chest fly

sometimes, i'll also mix in a few sets of push-ups at different angles.

but recently, a trainer at my gym noticed what i was doing and told me not to bother with the decline bench press/chest fly exercises. he said that that the decline motion doesn't really provide much benefit beyond what the flat bench press/chest fly already do (i.e. targeting the lower and outer pec muscles). he also said that if i really want to incorporate the decline exercises into my workout, i should do so only once every few workouts, just to shake things up - but utilizing them every week would be a waste of my time and energy.

any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
my routine for working out my pecs has always been pretty simple:

-incline bench press
-flat bench press
-decline bench press

then, i follow up the bench press exercises with some chest fly exercises:
-incline chest fly
-flat chest fly
-decline chest fly

sometimes, i'll also mix in a few sets of push-ups at different angles.

but recently, a trainer at my gym noticed what i was doing and told me not to bother with the decline bench press/chest fly exercises. he said that that the decline motion doesn't really provide much benefit beyond what the flat bench press/chest fly already do (i.e. targeting the lower and outer pec muscles). he also said that if i really want to incorporate the decline exercises into my workout, i should do so only once every few workouts, just to shake things up - but utilizing them every week would be a waste of my time and energy.

any thoughts on this?
I have to agree, the only thing that hits the lower chest hard for me is weighted dips.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,610 times
I'd agree as well. Push ups would be a better follow up. Even the incline bench can put pressure on your shoulders enough to hurt yourself.

If I were you I'd just keep it flat.

Make sure you are doing something for your upper back as well to keep a good balance.
Rows, face pulls, etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 18,358 times
Do you want to have great pecs? Want to know how to have a great [url=http://www.howtogetpecs.net/my-best-pec-workout-to-achieve-muscle-gain]pec workout[/url] that's completely safe and effective. With proper knowledge to equip you with you can now having attractive girl-magnet pectorals. Follow the link in this comment to know more, get help and proven tips that yield actual results.

[url=http://www.howtogetpecs.net/my-best-pec-workout-to-achieve-muscle-gain/]My Best Pec Workout to Achieve Muscle Gain | How To Get Pecs[/url]

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,445 times
What is the old advice? Incline works the bottom of the pecs and decline works the tops...so yeah, if you really want round, well defined pecs I'd stick with the variety. Depends on how far along you are though and what your goals are.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM

339 posts, read 2,204,692 times
Here's another idea: what if you did only incline and decline bench? Would the middle chest be worked out somewhere between those two?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I have to agree, the only thing that hits the lower chest hard for me is weighted dips.
I second this. Dips are underrated.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,926 times
Your lower pecs get worked a lot from standard benching.

Dips are probably the best exercise for isolating lower chest.

I don't even know anybody that does decline bench. I'm sure it works well, but definitely not necesarry.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Default Yep, dips.

Like several others here, I really like dips. I couldn't tell you from experience about how well decline presses work, because I've never done them. Dips, though, definitely. They're a great all-around chest exercise, and they really work the lower chest especially well.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
thanks for the tips, everyone. i'm definitely going to incorporate dips into my regular chest workout from now on.

up until now, it's been an exercise that i'd only do once in a while (not sure why).

quick question, though:
i've heard that when doing dips, you should tuck in your chin, which will keep the focus on your chest. supposedly, if you don't tuck in your chin (i.e. by looking straight ahead or even toward the ceiling), the impact on the chest is lessened and the focus on the triceps increased. is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness