Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 221,439 times

Advertisements

What are everyones thoughts on a reasonable time frame to reduce my run times. I'm currently at about 9 minutes and 30 seconds (on my best days) for 1 mile. I get 1.5 miles in around 15min 30 seconds. (again on my best days). I'd like to get to shave 2 minutes off my mile and 3-4 off of the mile and a half run. What is a realistic expectation. I'm also working on losing some weight. I'm currently at 228, down from 252 and want to get to under 200. I'm sure that losing 30 more pounds will have a very significant effect on my run times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM

37 posts, read 108,240 times
Bes tmethod i used ( i was a similar predictiment)is to lose weight, and run MORE than 1.5 miles, in fact aim for 3 each time. do that and within 3 months you should improve IMMENSELY.
Can you do it in less? probably, but it takes a lot of work, and running 3/4 times a week HARD. remember exterting yourself pays off

google marine corps pt plan

Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
The simple answer is run more. Run more often (every day versus every 2-3 days), and run longer.

As opposed to Mainerite, I think you are better off by running more often and for longer periods of time than simply trying to run harder (at least at this point). Running hard does have its place in successful training programs, but for where you are at this point (just starting out, trying to lose weight) you should be focusing on improving your aerobic capacity. With aerobic capacity comes the ability to apply that capacity to run harder.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You need to run intervals. Push yourself to run fast for a minute, then do a 'cool down' at your 9 minute pace; pick it up again as fast as you can for a minute, cool down at 9 minutes. Keep doing this and it will help pick up your pace.

Make sure you are cross-training, swimming and biking a huge help. Also, dropping weight helps take time off your miles. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,309 times
I believe the best way for you to get to 7 minutes is to just run more miles.

Do it slowly though... if you are running 10 miles a week, slowly amp it up to 15 etc etc. Don't jump to 30 miles/week right a way, it is extremely easy to get yourself injured that way.

Intervals are great but honestly your not remotely close to that stage. I got to a 5:30 mile through long runs alone (although in order to get a 4:50 mile, I had to do a great deal of hard fast intervals.)

Nevertheless if you run enough miles (without injuring yourself), 7 minutes is definitely possible. Mileage and endurance is key.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve147 View Post
What are everyones thoughts on a reasonable time frame to reduce my run times.
We are missing a few key pieces here: your age? Your general fitness level before starting your running program? How long have you been running?

You've already gotten some good advice here. If you are new to running, you need to build a base to avoid inujury, especially at your weight. That's why people are recommending that you bump up your frequency and duration. 5-7 days per week, 3-5 miles per run. This will also help with the weight loss.

Once you can do that comfortably, you can start to work on some speed.
Intervals are great. I also like fartlek, hill repeats and stair running for speed and power.

Your age and your general fitness level will determine how much work you have to do to reach your goal.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
steve147 wrote:
How long to go from 9 1/2 minute mile to 7
That's really up to you. Do you want it to be a demanding challenge or do you want it to be seemingly effortless? If you are the type of person who has a higher opinion of yourself when you handle physical discomfort, then make a committment to knocking off at least 5 seconds EVERY time you do your run. Pat yourself on the back, inflate your ego, and risk getting injured all for the sake of showing the world and yourself how capable you are. On the other hand, if your have learned to separate your self esteem from your physical accomplishments then you're probalby OK with a slower approach. By easing into it, you can make a 7 minute time FEEL as easy as your current 9.5 minute time. Just shorten the timespan very gradually, say perhaps knocking off 5 seconds every week or two. The trick is to shorten it by an imperceptible amount of time, so that even though you are running slightly faster you don't even notice the difference. Neither approach is intrinsically better than the other. It's all a matter of preference....and YOUR preference is the only one that matters!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-15-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 01:13 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
if you want to lose weight you should run for endurance, not speed. recommended 30-45 minutes

Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
if you want to lose weight you should run for endurance, not speed. recommended 30-45 minutes
I agree with some other comments made on here. In particular, if you are wanting to lose weight, focus on endurance. That's most important. Whether you can jog 1 mile in 9 mins or 7 mins is, in my opinion, irrelevant to weight loss. Jog continuously for 3 to 4 days a week, and of course, eat well, and you will continue to lose weight.

I also think that if you build endurance first, the speed will come afterwards. That is, if you can jog 1 mile comfortably, then jog at the same pace, but just work up to 2 miles, then work up to 3 miles. I would say that if you can jog 3 miles comfortably at your current pace, then you will be able to jog 1 mile at a much faster pace. That is because building stamina and endurance will help your speed.

That is how it has worked for me (however, it may be different for others). I never time myself on how fast I can jog 1 mile. That is because I typically jog anywhere between 5 to 10 miles per jog. I know that I can jog 10 miles (averaging 7.5 mins per mile) very comfortably. Again, I do not know what that translates to if I were to just jog 1 mile. However, I would guess that I could probably jog 1 mile in under 6 mins. My increased stamina and endurance has strongly enhanced my speed.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Are you training to race? Otherwise, as others have stated, I wouldn't stress over your times; endurance is more important.

Anyhow, I was stuck around 10 minutes/mile for the longest time, then I did a bit of Fartlek interval training for about a week or so and now, like "magic," I can easily do around a 9 minute mile, and my fastest time so far for a mile has been 8'22''.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness