U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 AM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 420,645 times

Advertisements

I have 3 weeks to get 1.5 mile run in 12.45! I ran 1.5 miles today in 14mins it was raining and cold any ideas on how to get the run in that time frame?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,240,730 times
You're doing great already!

Try some sprint drills (like 2-3 times a week for 15 minutes or so). And do some hill work also (like run up and down a hill about 4-6 times for about 2 times a week).

And up your endurance. Do some long runs for endurance and stamina (like 4-6 miles runs at least 3-4 times a week).

Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,805,986 times
Dude, did you stop taking that creatine? If not DO SO IMMEDIATELY.

You are cutting it very very close now. You absolutely need to get your nutritional plan in order RIGHT NOW!! No Beer. No sodas. No fast food. Eat plenty of veggies and good carbs. I also recommend you take a daily vitamin like GNC's Mega Man Sport.

I say for the next two weeks, to two-a-days runs. Do at least 3 - 5 miles during your early runs, and HIIT sprints of 1/2 mile or so in the evenings. You can cut back a week before you test. Get plenty of sleep and cut back on your weight training sessions. Weight train only 2 days per week and only do compound movements but not with too heavy of weight. You need to go balls out right now in your running because your career depends on it.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,764,060 times
Wish you luck. You must be in the Navy. Are you jogging on a track or on a jogging path? Jogging by yourself on a track is mentally hard. jogging on a path is easier mentally. I too had a hard time with the run test. In my case, it was due to a shoulder injury. Before the half way point the shoulder swelled up and I was jogging with right arm hanging at the side. you may be hurting your run time with your stress. you are stressing the run test and your increased stress level will elevate your blood pressure and move the body into a fight or flight mode and you'll be burning sugar leading to sore heavy leg muscles. Create an exercise playlist. First few songs are soft and easy stuff to do while stretching to warm up and for the start of the run. next song or two is a little faster pace. Then the last few songs should be much faster pace like Rocky 4 training montage. if possible, workout with a partner for added motivation.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:32 AM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 420,645 times
the test is on the track do you guys think i should just map out a run outside and go on the track like once a week to check times?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
the test is on the track do you guys think i should just map out a run outside and go on the track like once a week to check times?
Doesnt matter where your running, it just matters that you are running your ass off and checking your times. You havent answered my question about foods you are eating and NOT eating and if you've stopped taking that creatine.

You can check mapmyrun.com for runs in your area or just pick up a Nike plus sensor for your ipod (I highly recommend this) to time your runs no matter where you are.

You are cutting it way too close now and will need some luck on your side in addition to your training to get it to the time you need to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness