Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:11 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about it. I've only been doing it for years now.

Actually I understand it perfectly, hence why I used the word correlation and not cause.

Really? I lost 60+lbs on a low carb diet and never made any substantial changes to my calorie intake. Guess I should gain it all back and lose it the right way huh?

I'll damn near guarantee that you lost a significant amount of muscle as well. I gained muscle with a low carb diet while dropping fat at the same time. I've never been on ANY other diet that allowed me to accomplish that.

Being an athlete, that's pretty damn important for me.

Oh, and I lost that 60lbs in less than 4 months. How long did it take you to lose 120?

If it's not easy then it's because they're not doing their homework and finding the tons of low carb recipes out there. The variation I'm on also allows me to have carbs on the weekends.

Actually, that's ketosis, meaning your body is burning off fat for fuel. Increasing your fluid intake or taking some sugar free gum solves this problem instantly.

The lipid profiles of myself and several others who have been on this diet speak for themselves.

What studies?

As for this next paragraph, all I can say is it's pretty obvious you've never been on a low carb diet, or simply don't know what you're talking about.

Going back to those lipid profiles, they don't lie. The low carb propaganda machine has never been able to refute those facts.

All wrong.

The whole point of a low carb diet is to get your body burning fat for fuel, which means less and less glycogen is depleted. What glycogen is lost, is easily replaced by a short carb loading phase of 12-48 hours.

I don't know of ANY low carb diet that isn't very explicit in instructing you to watch your fiber intake. I take a fiber supplement since I don't eat that many vegetables.

Actually, you shouldn't lose any significant weight in the first week or two. At that time your body is getting fat adapted.

Dehydration? Then you're not following the diet. Atrophy? Same thing.

None of these are an issue on a low carb diet. Hell, avoiding this is exactly the reason I went on this diet.

You might want to be a little more educated on the matter before you try calling others out.

I am in the same boat as you. I have been doing low carb pretty much for over 5 years. I think your right on target.

People please read Good Calories , Bad Calories for unbiased studies. Very good book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM

204 posts, read 617,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I have been doing low carb pretty much for over 5 years. I think your right on target.

People please read Good Calories , Bad Calories for unbiased studies. Very good book.
That is a good book. Also read, "In Defense of Food". Who knew politics dictated so much of what we're told constitutes a healthy diet?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:20 PM

50 posts, read 65,385 times
As a newbie, thank you for letting me express my opinion on this matter. I actually have two points

1. Someone once told me that due to genetic factors, you are born with a certain potentional weight range. For example, some women may be born with a weight range at maturity of between 110-150 lbs. However, because of our sedentary lifestyle and awful eating habits, most people will be at the top of that range. This theory seems to make sense to me since it takes all factors into consideration.

2. I think it's very sad how obese people are judged. I honestly think it's the last acceptable form of discrimination. Yes, it is partly their fault. However, everyone has problems in their life that are mostly their fault. In addition, I don't understand the motive of making heavy people feel bad about themselves. If you have ever been heavy or have ever studied the issue, you know that it's a vicious cycle. Someone's heavy, normally their coping mechanism with depression is eating. They get told they are less than a human being (more or less), so they eat and become more heavy. Coming from someone that has recently lost a great deal of weight, I would hope that we as a society would have more compassion than that.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon_Tracy View Post
As a newbie, thank you for letting me express my opinion on this matter. I actually have two points

1. Someone once told me that due to genetic factors, you are born with a certain potentional weight range. For example, some women may be born with a weight range at maturity of between 110-150 lbs. However, because of our sedentary lifestyle and awful eating habits, most people will be at the top of that range. This theory seems to make sense to me since it takes all factors into consideration.

2. I think it's very sad how obese people are judged. I honestly think it's the last acceptable form of discrimination. Yes, it is partly their fault. However, everyone has problems in their life that are mostly their fault. In addition, I don't understand the motive of making heavy people feel bad about themselves. If you have ever been heavy or have ever studied the issue, you know that it's a vicious cycle. Someone's heavy, normally their coping mechanism with depression is eating. They get told they are less than a human being (more or less), so they eat and become more heavy. Coming from someone that has recently lost a great deal of weight, I would hope that we as a society would have more compassion than that.
I agree with you. It's a tough disease. The steps themselves aren't that hard but turning it into a lifestyle you can live with is tremendously difficult. It's easier to always think of it as a temporary diet. Then the diet ends and the pounds come back on.....and they always bring a few friends.

Fat people are discriminated against everywhere. It's rampant in our society. And it's accepted. The formerly fat are universally amazed at how differently they are treated as a normal size person.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
That is a good book. Also read, "In Defense of Food". Who knew politics dictated so much of what we're told constitutes a healthy diet?
I have read in defense of food and Real Food which is written by a women the authors name escapes me right now.

Your correct politics does do that!! The amount of bias studies is truely amazing. thanks for such a good comment!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
I find it confusing sometimes. I go into TJ Maxx and plenty of normal looking slender people then one half mile away I go into Walmart and there are giant fat people riding around on scooters

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,710 times
tell you what genes does play a partial role on obesity
but you could change your ways of living life
people in the us are more big because of fast foods restaurants
but if we teach kids to stop eating fast food restaurants alot ill change america
execise every day and a healthy eating or diet how ever you want to call it
will modify our genes just like being fat changed genes
besides in the first place people shouldnt be obesse because it causes more heart attacks and high cholesterol so that means you die faster
its like people can stop smoking if they want to so we can change our way of life by not eating so much fast food and start exercising

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I'm skinny and I've always wondered about this:

Why is it that countries that have food shortages are made of overwhelmingly thin people (such as Ethiopia), but in America, overeating is often cited as not the sole cause for obesity? Genes, thyroidism, other factors are pointed to as the contributing factors?

I mean, if food shortage causes people to starve and be thin, then food abundance would cause people to overeat and be fat right? Or is this too simplistic?

Are we making excuses for being obese because we are not willing to look at overeating and eating the wrong foods starting as children?

I don't want to judge and sound harsh...just trying to understand. Any facts would be appreciated. Thanks!
They are excuses.... We are all pre-disposed to obessity - some more then others, medications we take can make us heavier (not morbid obesity). etc etc...

I base this on knowing SEVERAL obese and morbidly obese people throughout my life who say "i'm fat because my family is fat"... as they jug gallons of soda, eat tons of garbage (processed foods) and get ZERO excercise. ---- fat because of family - mmm... no

Take a look through the grocery store next time your there... notice anything? people who are fat/obese will have their carts loaded with processed junk... while those that are skinny will generally have a cart loaded with vegetables and fresh meat. (besides the sugary snack for the kids)...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I haven't read through all of this thread (so sorry if it was mentioned some pages back), but I'm reading a (new, or at least 2009) book called "Stuffed" by Hank Cordello that's excellent reading; it's written by someone with years in the food industry, and he points out the various ways in which modern society (in this case, he's specifically focusing on the food industry, although acknowledges that there are obviously other causes, too, including government subsidies, lifestyle, etc.) has stacked the deck against people's attempts to be thinner. I'm not finished with it yet, but so far it's excellent reading. Among other things, it provides a sort of a Paco Underhill's "Why We Buy" (another excellent book, although not food-related) approach to the issue. I've read some of the other books mentioned, but "Stuffed" (so far, at least - I'm about halfway through) takes a slightly different approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness