Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM

135 posts, read 189,870 times

Advertisements

While people spend hundreds of dollars at the gym, personal trainers or expensive machines they buy on QVC like SoloFlex, these guys just train at local kids' park. They have no money, no personal trainer, just the will to do the work, I'll bet you anything that even personal trainers can't do the exercises these guys do.

Can you do this at your Gym? (http://www.beauty-beauty.com/gym - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
my gym is free =)

Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechon View Post
While people spend hundreds of dollars at the gym, personal trainers or expensive machines they buy on QVC like SoloFlex, these guys just train at local kids' park. They have no money, no personal trainer, just the will to do the work, I'll bet you anything that even personal trainers can't do the exercises these guys do.

Can you do this at your Gym? (http://www.beauty-beauty.com/gym - broken link)
Basic gymnsastic strength building exercises. Those guys were formerly part of the "Bardendaz" who are earning pretty good money from the city of New York for teaching health and fitness to the youth. They also made a movie about how it started (I think) and how many of the guys who do it also are "52 Blocks" street fighters/martial artists. To say that they do not have money is not true.

Ive seen those guys display INCREDIBLE feats of strength all from just body weight exercises/training (pullups, pushups).

Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
I think the point the OP is trying to make is to show how the fitness industry is bamboozling ( is that a word) people into thinking they need all kinds of corny contraptions and overpriced fitness centers to get in shape. Herschel Walker is another example of someone who never lifted weights and has a great physique and strength.

Then people make excuses about not working out because they don't have the time or money to go to a gym. This video blows all that nonsense out the water. Great post.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I think the point the OP is trying to make is to show how the fitness industry is bamboozling ( is that a word) people into thinking they need all kinds of corny contraptions and overpriced fitness centers to get in shape. Herschel Walker is another example of someone who never lifted weights and has a great physique and strength.

Then people make excuses about not working out because they don't have the time or money to go to a gym. This video blows all that nonsense out the water. Great post.
Agreed!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:20 PM

231 posts, read 736,265 times
it's not that people "need" fitness equipment or gyms to stay healthy, it's a combination of things: mindset (i'm spending money, i should use it), socializing, more equipment than one can reasonably house.

i use a fitness facility because i like to lift weights, use the sauna, and play racquetball. where else am i going to play racquetball? how am i going to have access to the array of weights and machines that i do at my chosen fitness facility?

consider yourself countered

Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
it's not that people "need" fitness equipment or gyms to stay healthy, it's a combination of things: mindset (i'm spending money, i should use it), socializing, more equipment than one can reasonably house.

i use a fitness facility because i like to lift weights, use the sauna, and play racquetball. where else am i going to play racquetball? how am i going to have access to the array of weights and machines that i do at my chosen fitness facility?

consider yourself countered
You just proved my point..........and I'm sure the industry loves you and your ilk (and your money)

Old 11-30-2009, 12:57 AM

231 posts, read 736,265 times
no matter how you feel about using weights or machines to stay fit, there are some things that are simply cheaper and more feasible to get through a gym membership. as i mentioned: sauna and racquetball. there are other things; a couple of local places offer in-door rock-climbing, another offers complimentary childcare while you use the facility, there's even a place with in-door tennis court/s (i don't remember if they have more than one), and a couple with in-door pools.

call it a scam all you want, i can defend my choices as soundly as (or better than) you can attack them. by the way, your reference to herschel walker is worthless without some citation as proof. and, for what it's worth, i can offer links to those local places.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:33 AM

204 posts, read 617,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
You just proved my point..........and I'm sure the industry loves you and your ilk (and your money)
Sure they love me. Do I get something in return? Absolutely. So why the rub?

I use a facility that provides equipment I can't afford. An indoor pool is just not in the budget. Could I become fit using nothing but my body weight in a spare bedroom? Theoretically yes, but why would I want to when I can do it in a way that I enjoy? I could also walk from Boston to Sacramento, but I allow the auto industry to love me, too, because I have a car.

We may agree on a few points.....much of the equipment that is sold for home use is crap. People who purchase this stuff have good intentions but don't know how to get started. If people knew what to do and how to successfully go about implementing it I don't think we'd be seeing all the obesity and lifestyle disease stats.

Also found at great gyms that aren't overly expensive (I belong to one): support, comraderie, variety, group exercise, etc.

Yep, my local fitness center owner loves me . And I love what he provides .

Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yeah, but a gym can offer you different ways to work out a muscle if you can't do it with body weight. For example, doing pushups always kills my wrists, but I can work out chest, shoulders, and triceps by doing bench press, military press, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness