U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM

593 posts, read 1,584,464 times

Advertisements

I've been going to the gym for 6 months now. I'm trying to put on a little bit more muscle but my problem is I'm not the best eater. In fact, I'm a very skinny and all that. I'm literally skin and bones with the except that I have some muscle in some places. In fact, I look the same way that I did before I went to the gym six months ago.. at least when I look at myself in the mirror. Sometimes I don't eat for hours because I'm at work or I'm feeling really lazy to cook something and eat the leftovers. A lot of the foods I eat, honestly, aren't full of protein. I'm not a fish fan, I rarely eat eggs, I'm not so much into the food I eat. So basically I'm thinking about getting myself protein shakes to throw into the mix. I work out 3 days a week, don't work out on the weekends. I'm thinking about going to my doctor for advice on this as well. So what you guys think? Should I take a protein shake after I workout and with my breakfast or with my meals or whatever or should I just give the exercise a little more time before I start seeing more results?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 04:17 PM

551 posts, read 1,297,921 times
It seems like you need to get in more calories. Supplementing protein shakes can help but you will have to eat more meals to get in your calories. The healthier the better but eating quality calories can be difficult because it will be A LOT of food and cost more.

It also depends on how hard you are working out. Three days is fine, that is what I did when I was routinely working out. However, those three days must be quality workouts for you to see any results.

Post workout shakes/meals are normal. I suggest you read up on exercise and nutrition. There are tons of information out there. Find out what works for you. I have done P90X (LOL, I know) and have enjoyed it and got great results.

When I started working out, all of the bigger guys said pretty much the same thing "Eat + Lift + Sleep = You Grow".

Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM

2,755 posts, read 5,865,575 times
Something in your regimen is awry if you've been hitting the gym for six months and have seen no viable results. I'm guessing you need to do two things: 1--Increase your daily calorie intake! Try to consume about 2500 kcals. Eat more protein, along with more complex carbohydrates (like whole grain bread and pasta and rice), while cutting back on the junk food with simple carbos and saturated fat. You neeed to be consuming about a gram of protein for each pound you weigh. Lean meat 2-3 times a week is OK too. Drink lots of water. Go ahead and drink your whey protein shakes either an hour or so before, or immediately after your workouts.
2--I'm guessing you're just hitting the gym sporadically with no real set routine and are also doing full body workouts; jumping from one machine to the other. You need to isolate your muscle groups if you want to get bigger. For example, do biceps and back muscles one day, and then triceps and chest another day. It is good to always work on opposing muscle groups. Don't do too much cardio as of yet, maybe just warmup on the treadmill for 10 minutes before you start your weight training.
Follow this routine and you should see noticable results with three or four weeks.
Good Luck! And make sure you have fun! Also: pay attention to your form while lifting: do a 2-count on the lift and a 4-count on the release. Breathe! Exhale during exertion, of course.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,846 times
If you've been going to the gym for 6 months and haven't seen any results, then something is definitely wrong. You probably have issues with both your workout and your nutrition plan. First off, nutrition is just as important to muscle gain as working out is. Eat as many fruits and vegetables, lean meats, chicken, whole grains, dairy and nuts that you can. Try eating every 2-3 hours. Protein shakes can be a good snack during the day, but should also be consumed after your workout (check out bulkfoodsdirect.com for a great protein powder). You're definitely going to need to up the amount of calories you eat every day. No more being lazy with your nutrition!! As for your workouts, DrummerBoy has some good advice. With proper nutrition (including post workout protein) and focused workouts, you should finally start seeing results.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 AM

12,975 posts, read 32,464,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I've been going to the gym for 6 months now. ............. In fact, I look the same way that I did before I went to the gym six months ago..

So basically I'm thinking about getting myself protein shakes to throw into the mix. I work out 3 days a week, don't work out on the weekends.
I think you need to reevaluate what "the mix" is first. One thing that people who gain weight all have in common is that they eat eat EAT. So if you want to see more muscle and more weight, you'll need to figure out what works FOR YOU when it comes to time, frequency and amount of food that you eat.

My overall suggestion is:

1. Sounds like you may not have a specific plan when it comes to your workouts. Like you just hit certain machines/muscles and thats it. Try a Body For Life, P90x or HIT training program. You need to lift HEAVY and you need to lift to failure and I suggest keeping a workout log to track number of reps, sets, weight, etc.

2. Nutrition. Not much specifics I can give you on this other than to eat at LEAST 5 healthy meals per day and take healthy protein filled snacks like almond butter and jelly on whole wheat, raw almonds, cottage cheese, etc. Get yourself some tupperware containers to take with you and eat during work/school or whatever you do during the day. Main thing is, you need to eat eat eat.

3. Protein shake. No matter what anyone tells you, not all protein shakes are equal. Get the best you can afford. I prefer ON 100% whey, or Muscle Tech's protein. Take half the suggested amount right before your workout, then take a regular serving immediately after your workout.

What I cannot also stress enough while on a high protein diet, is that you must eat plenty of veggies and fiber. The illness that Brock Lesner in the UFC is dealing with is due to his high protein diet and lack of veggies and fiber.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 AM

14,310 posts, read 21,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
3. Protein shake. No matter what anyone tells you, not all protein shakes are equal. Get the best you can afford. I prefer ON 100% whey, or Muscle Tech's protein. Take half the suggested amount right before your workout, then take a regular serving immediately after your workout.
See I disagree with this. True, not all protein is created equal but you don't have to go expensive to get quality. Whey Protein is cheap by nature, and those 5lb bags of EAS whey protein that you get at Sam's Club are just as good if not better quality than alot of the more expensive products you see at GNC. TrueProtein.com also has great quality protein for around the same price, and you can make your own custom blend.

Oh, and I'd stay away from any Muscle Tech products. Talk about over priced crap.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM

4,589 posts, read 12,722,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
See I disagree with this. True, not all protein is created equal but you don't have to go expensive to get quality. Whey Protein is cheap by nature, and those 5lb bags of EAS whey protein that you get at Sam's Club are just as good if not better quality than alot of the more expensive products you see at GNC. TrueProtein.com also has great quality protein for around the same price, and you can make your own custom blend.

Oh, and I'd stay away from any Muscle Tech products. Talk about over priced crap.
Just read the label....that tells you what you need to know. Stay away from supplements that have too much sugar (over 9g) and look at how much protein it contains per serving.....carbs,fat, complex carbs ect....watch what you buy, there's a ton of crap out there.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,592,563 times
I use all natural protein powders that are sweetened with stevia so no sugar at all. They also don't have cholesterol, fat, lactose, asesulfame-K, nothing artificial at all, no aspartme, no fructose, no gluten, no msg, no sucralose, etc... and its from cows not treated with rBGH. It is the cleanest most pure protein isolate I have found but its somewhat expensive at about 40 bucks for a 2 pound bucket. I usually order them in a box of four for a 12.5% discount. I became scared of protein powders when I looked at the ingredients lists on a lot of them and had to use wikipedia to figure out what I was eating. Here is the website if anyone doesn't mind the price.

Natural Protein Powder | Naturally Sweetened Whey Protein Powder

Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM

2,409 posts, read 2,920,226 times
Protein shakes should be a supplement to your diet if at all. Most are overpriced junk and a complete waste of money if other than the convenience factor. I've been invovled in bodybuilding and fitness for well over 15 years. I've tried just about every fad supplement on the market. Protein powders, NO2, creatine etc. Only till I learned how to really eat and train did I make the progress I always wanted to. REAL WHOLESOME food is what you need to build muscle. The supplement industry is one of the most corrupt and deceitful industries around. Also don't forget that 99.9% of the people you see in the ads are on some sort of drugs to either build muscle or lose fat. I.e. steroids, thyroid drugs, prescription fat burners etc. Hell I'd suggest taking testosterone or other anabolics before you ever wasted your money on Over the counter supplements. But no matter what you take if you can't eat right or eat enough you'll never put on muscle. It's not easy......if it was everybody would look like a men's health cover model. And you don't have to eat clean either. To put on muscle it's all about protein and calories. It's better to eat hamburgers and milkshakes than to not eat at all when it comes to muscle.

Training is important as well. If you're tall and skinny you need to be squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing and making sure you are not overtraining. Leave the isolation type movements to the steroid users and genetically gifted.

There is no such thing as a hardgainer. Only an under eater. Genetics and the ability to put on muscle varies of course.......but most "hardgainers" just don't eat enough or eat the right foods. I was 6'5 150 lbs coming out of high school. I weigh 230 lbs at 30 years old. It took A LOT of finding out what didn't work until I realized what did. Also if you are an older gentleman i..e late 30's-late 40's get your testosterone levels checked. You might need some supplementation.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM

14,310 posts, read 21,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Protein shakes should be a supplement to your diet if at all. Most are overpriced junk and a complete waste of money if other than the convenience factor. I've been invovled in bodybuilding and fitness for well over 15 years. I've tried just about every fad supplement on the market. Protein powders, NO2, creatine etc.
Sorry, but that's a bunch of crap. I agree that there are alot of crap supplements out there but whey protein is not something you can really fake and it has some advantages over regular protein consumption. Creatine is also scientifically proven to be effective as are quality NO2 products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness