Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 08:01 PM

65 posts, read 282,774 times

Advertisements

Anyone on the forum who has successfully lost weight after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism? I would love to hear about your experience and how you have managed to do so. For the past 6-8 months, I have been unable to lose weight ( I am not overweight, though I could do to lose a couple of pounds and have better tone in my lower half) although I eat very clean and have increased my exercise (running abt 3-6 miles , 5 times a week)
my legs look more defined but there has been no change in weight. Earlier with this same eating/exercise plan, I could have lost weight very easily. I discussed this with my doctor and I am doing bloodwork to check for a possible thyroid disorder.

I would appreciate people's feedback and experience in this matter. Thanks a lot for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I haven't had any success with losing weight with hypothyroidism.

In preparation for receiving your lab results, I do want to alert you to some 'issues' with hypothyroid test results. Because the FDA oversees clinical definitions of 'normal', 'high', and 'low' test results for most lab tests, many physicians assume that is the case for TSH, T4, and T3 tests (the main tests for hypothyroidism) as well. In fact it is not. For these tests, labs are allowed to use any definition they wish.

The result is that many unaware doctors skim the test results, see that your results are flagged 'normal' and presume there is nothing wrong with you, when in fact you are either hypo or hyperthyroidal and should be treated. An experienced endocrinologist should know about the correct 'normal' ranges, but often preliminary tests are done by general practitioners or internists who don't have such detailed information about this one condition, and as a result, patients never get a proper and accurate diagnosis.

The correct 'normal' range for TSH is .3 to 3.0. If you are outside of this range, you should be treated not merely to fall within this range but to alter your TSH levels to the opposite end of the spectrum. That is, if you are hypothyroidal with a TSH of 4.0, your goal (and your doctor's) should be to not merely lower your TSH to 3.0, but to lower it to at least 1.0, if not below 0.5.

Here is a link explaining normal TSH ranges in better detail: TSH test explanation. The article has links to the medical documentation about normal TSH ranges and recommends highlighting certain passages for your doctor if necessary.

Best of luck to you with diagnosis and weight loss.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 AM

Thanks Kodaka. The link was very useful. I am reading up as much as possible before the bloodwork results come in so that I can be betteer prepared for it.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
As someone who has been taking synthroid for many years (I had radiation treatment), I can tell you that it is almost impossible to lose weight with this condition. However, I tried Nutrisystem last year and the weight really started to drop off. I added quite a bit of exercise also. The problem with a program like Nutrisystem is that you really have to have a mindset to be able to eat the food for a long period of time. You will also find that it is easier to lose weight in the summer because of being more active. The value that I saw in the NS program is that not only did I lose weight rapidly, but I also lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol levels. The problem with NS is that the programs that they push don't always have the best choices of foods. If you go that route, do not do the programs but choose your foods individually, which is much more expensive. I probably will do that again sometime in the spring.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 AM

153 posts, read 520,940 times
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's disease 6 years ago. In addition to this, I went through two pregnancies and ended up on bedrest for 3 months. All of this resulted in my gaining about 65 lbs.

I really struggled with my weight up until this year and could not seem to lose. I would stick to an exercise program for a while but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted and I would get discouraged. I spoke with my endo. about this and she considered my weight loss struggles when adjusting my dose of Synthroid. I believe that this was crucial to the results that I was later able to achieve.

In April of this year, I got entirely fed up with my weight and the risk it posed to my future health. I decided that I would strive to workout at the gym everyday for a year. I made it to the gym every single day for 6 months and have made it at least 5 days a week since then. I have been doing 20-40 minutes of weight training and 40 mins. - 1 hr. or cardio each time. I also started making an effort to eat better although I did not "diet". I have lost 40 lbs. so far and I am feeling great.

I was really amazed at the results that I was able to achieve because I had heard so often that it is "impossible" to lose weight with hypothyroidism. I am living proof that this is not the case for everyone. It did require an "all in" commitment, but it has been worth it!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks CGSA. Its heartening to hear your experience. I am sure a lot of us with the same condition will find your experience very positive. I guess it requires an iron will and patience along with the right dosage of hormone to ensure the weight loss.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I went from hyperthyroid to hypo in a very short time. I wasn't heavy to begin with and lost about 20 lbs with hyperthyroidism In a short time I was told I was hypo and put on levothyroxine. I didn't seem to have anytime to be gaining alot of weight when I was diagnosed with the Hypo. I have been on Levothyroxine for almost 13 years. I have never had problems with being heavy, but then I have always been an exercise fanatic and I had been dealing with Diabetes for most of my life. I could never let myself be heavy to begin with.

I would say talk to your doctor about the meds being prescribed to treat the Hypo condition. Then you will have to exercise doing as much cardio as you can and add some weight training. They both work together to really keep the weight down. Of course you have to watch your diet and include as much vegetables and non fat foods as you can. Try poultry grilled chicken, turkey in place of red meats. Fish if you like. Try to eat 4 to 5 smaller meals a day rather than huge meals especially the evening meal. Alway eat breakfast, it really helps. In fact if you can exercise in the early evening and or morning it is the best method of controlling weight for many people. Make sure your doctor understands your concerns on this Hypo issue and get as much info as you can to help you thru this.

You will be find once the Meds kick in to control the Hypothyroidism. Well that and what I recommeded. I can't say I really have had any problems in all these years, as long as I am on the Meds I guess which are for the rest of our lives.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
When I got to about age 60 I started gaining a lot of weight and finally topped out at 205 at age 65 from a previously normal weight of about 145-150. My cholesterol also went up. I was finally diagnosed as hypothyroid and went on levothyroid. The cholesterol gradually came down but the weight stayed on. At age 66, I decided enough was enough. I went on the ketogenic diet of very low carbohydrate, very low fat and adequate protein and along with a vigorous home exercise program (all in a small apartment, too) I was able to lose 70 lbs. in about 9 months. I did cardio, weight lifting for upper body, floor exercises for lower body. I started slowly 3 x a week for about 45 min. total and worked up to where I could do 2 1/2 hrs. exercise at a time about 5 days a week. I did not cheat one time on the diet. I hit plateaus along the way, lasting up to 4 weeks, but I persevered and finally got down to 135. That was 8 years ago. If I slack off for too long on the exercise and eat too much, I regain weight but if I get back on the program I can still take it off in a couple of months. I'm 74 now and weight in at about 150 which is a pretty good weight for me.

Yes, it CAN be done even if you are hypothyroid and old like me. Don't give up and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness