Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM

540 posts, read 1,909,833 times

Advertisements

How many calories are recommended for a person to burn per day by exercising? I'm sure this depends on numerous factors. Is burning 500 to many or too little? Is 1000 too much? Is there a website that might have this info? Thanks to all for any response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,427 times
Not sure what you're asking exactly. Maybe you're trying to find an answer from the wrong angle, but that's just a guess.

People generally find their daily caloric expenditure, then decide on how much to eat or exercise from there. There are numerous websites that show each exercise's caloric demand. They give rough estimates of course. Like you said above it depends on a lot of factors. A 250 pound muscular man will need far more calories than a 120 pound, thin woman. Muscle burns calories. The less you have, the less you need, so it's different for every person.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:06 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
I generally like to burn 600-900 calories per workout doing cardio in an hour or so

Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Burning or cutting more than 1000 calories, more than three days in a row can slow weightloss and put a burden on the body that is not healthy.

Calculators are only rough estimates of what you burn and with time the body adapts to actually burn fewer calories doing the same thing at the same weight. (it adapts)

Nice burn calculator:
Free Calorie Counter, Weight Loss Calculators, and Weight Loss Tutorial | CaloriesPerHour.com

Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM

116 posts, read 409,046 times
That burn calculator you posted is way way way off.It said I had to consume 3038 calories a day to loose 2 pounds a week.If I was to eat those calories every day I would be adding 2 pounds a week.I can only eat 700 max calories per day and I have to walk or cardio 1 hour 6 days a week to loose weight,its that simple.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM

622 posts, read 3,112,427 times
700 calories per day? Something's not right.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
How many calories are recommended for a person to burn per day by exercising? I'm sure this depends on numerous factors. Is burning 500 to many or too little? Is 1000 too much? Is there a website that might have this info? Thanks to all for any response.

It depends on what kind of exercise or workout you are doing. Some burn more calories than others (i.e. jogging burns up more calories than taking a walk).

Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 AM

116 posts, read 409,046 times
It takes me 18 minutes to walk a mile.I takes me 22 minutes running a 100ft and then walking 100ft for the same mile.So i do 2 miles every morning in about 39-40 minutes.I have found it easier and faster walking.As for the 700 calories a day,for my particular body thats what it takes to shed the weight and eating healthy.Msg and high fructrose corn syrup are deadly with diets and you should stay far away from them if possible.Oh and dont be fooled by labels claiming no msg in there products their full of it.Here is a good link explaining it all.

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/Diet_Nutrition/msg_sources.htm (broken link)

Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
I have a heart monitor that I wear to the gym. On some days, I take two classes back to back and I've burned up to 1200 calories on those days.

I think as long as you change up what you are doing from day to day and you rest when you feel you need it, it's all good! I usually take it easy on Fridays and give myself the weekend to recover. I also eat a normal diet.

If you think of all the jobs out there that are physcial, those people workout all day long with little or no side effects. Not that I advocate doing that on purpose, of course!

There is a website that might help you with what you are asking called SparkPeople. Very cool site that offers a lot of support. Maybe it'll help.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bascat348 View Post
That burn calculator you posted is way way way off.It said I had to consume 3038 calories a day to loose 2 pounds a week.If I was to eat those calories every day I would be adding 2 pounds a week.I can only eat 700 max calories per day and I have to walk or cardio 1 hour 6 days a week to loose weight,its that simple.
That is a starvation diet and extremely dangerous.Eating 700 calories a day is not healthy. You should be able to lose on that calculator. If you don't lose, you need to speak with your doctor about a full check up+ diabetes/thyroid test.

The problem if you have a lot of weight on you and you are healthy generally is that basic normal diets tell you to eat 1200 if you are a female and 1500 if you are male for the minimum. But the truth of it is that you should only cut like this:

200 cut for fat burn
500 cut for avg weightloss (2lbs)
1000 cut max

When you cut more than a 1000 from you total daily needs you cause the body to resist weightloss. It also tends to take quite a bit of muscle with it. Even the 1000 calorie cuts take a lot of muscle if you are not lifting to keep it on. Since you have cut your calories so low your body is most likely in starvation mode. If you were not losing before that is why. Also with a high amount of fat on your body your metabolism is going to be slower. It may take you extra time to get to your goals. Eating lower (notice I did not say low) carb (40% of your cals) can aid in weightloss when you have a slower metab. There is no way you can get balanced nutrition on 700 calories a day. Its mathmatically impossible. You wont get enough: carbs or fiber or calcium etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness