Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
Trying to get my workout routine set back up. Got out of it when we had our baby 8 months ago. Now I need to get back on track. Problem is it's hard to find an hour to get some working out in. Just wondering when you people with kids find time to get your workouts in.
I'm going to try working out early in the morning. That means I have to get up around 4:15 or so in order to get 45 min to an hour workout in.
Ouch! 4:15 in the morning? (You mean there's another 4:15 other than the p.m. one? lol) Obviously, I've never been much of a morning person, probably due to my music background. But the one thing I always tell my clients (I'm a p/t/ personal trainer too) is that they should try to fit their workouts in to the time of day when they feel best. For some--I call them lunatics!--that's early in the morning. Myself, I'm at my mental and physical peak in the mid-afternoon. Everyone's different, due to our personal circadian rythms. You'll also get alot more out of oyur workout and perform better if you slot it to your peaktime hours.
I've seen alot of people quit on their workouts when they try to do them at the time of day they're simply not "up" for them. So, while I admire your motivation and your willingness to get up and that unGodly hour, make sure it's right for you. The first rule about exercise is that it's got to be fun, or it won't last and your body won't respond with it's best possible potential. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
My routine is coffee, computer, small breakfast, workout. Then on with the rest of my day. I get up around 7-8, most days.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
I would rather do it in the morning, but seems like the afternoon/evening is the only time I get a chance.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I usually work out at lunch time. We have shower facilities in our building and my boss is super nice and a tri-athlete herself, so she is very forgiving about my working out during the lunch hour and then eating something quick at my desk.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
I prefer to get it out of the way in the mornings. I get the kids off to school, work out, shower...and have the rest of the day. Once I start working again, it'll probably have to be in the evenings, but with little kids, I'm not sure how that will work, time-wise.

The problem in the evenings for me (and most people, I would guess), is that I'm tired, and would rather go to bed than work out.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 AM

339 posts, read 975,910 times
Quote:
Trying to get my workout routine set back up. Got out of it when we had our baby 8 months ago. Now I need to get back on track. Problem is it's hard to find an hour to get some working out in. Just wondering when you people with kids find time to get your workouts in.
I'm going to try working out early in the morning. That means I have to get up around 4:15 or so in order to get 45 min to an hour workout in.
I can relate to that. I have 4 kids, three of them school aged and one who just turn 3 and a full time job. I wake up every day at 4:30 AM everyday for my 45 min workout. Otherwise it would be impossible.
Waking up so early allows me to work out, shower and get to work by 6:45 AM. My husband deals with the kids in the morning, I deal with them at night. I don't like taking time from my kids in the evenings so I need to maximize my day.

I think its best to workout in the morning, you will have more energy and you can do it while the baby sleeps.
Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
I am a work-from-home-dad with an almost 2 year old. I try to get in a couple of hours per day by:

1. Getting up early to do cardio. This usually means getting up when everyone else is sleeping between 5:30-6:00 to go for my morning run or jump rope routine.

2. Lunch/baby nap time workout. When the baby takes her daily nap, this is when I head out to my garage home gym to do my real workout. This is usually a CrossFit workout of the day or a whole body HIT (heavy weights) workout.

3. After dinner/mommy is home workout. When the wife gets home to begin her baby duty, I'll usually go out to train/teach martial arts. This usually lasts for a few hours (2-3).

I try to stick to this schedule because I believe it is super important to set a routine so that it becomes a habit and part of your normal day.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
Due to my schedule, I work out Sat - Wed. On the weekend, I try to get it done in the morning. During the weekday, it is during the early evening. I just cannot get up at 5:00AM to make it happen.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 PM

275 posts, read 1,545,229 times
Well I was going during my lunchtime as someone else already mentioned. Then I switched it over to early mornings which is really insane. That means leaving my house at 5am to get to the gym to put in a 45 min workout. Now that I'm starting back with P90X, I have to do it in the evenings. I can't imagine doing a workout at home first thing in the morning. The temptation to crawl back in my nice, warm bed is too much. So basically, do what you do. It doesn't matter, just do something.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
I like to work out in the morning. I will do cardio on an empty stomach, but on the days I lift I eat a small amount of protein and a half of a banana. The banana helps me not to cramp up -not sure why, but it works for me. AM workout helps me all day long. I have more energy to get other stuff done. And u know that could help a mom out a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness