Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM

84 posts, read 196,085 times

Advertisements

I only sweat a little when I exercise and it's not even noticeable and I don't even feel tired. I can jog 1 hour on the treadmill at 5.8 avg speed etc.... and still nothing, even when I increase the speed, the only thing that I accomplish is making my knees hurt when I walk up the stairs, even when I exercise that extreme, I still do not sweat enough, the most is probably feeling wet on my forhead. Is there something wrong with me? I am not overweight, average weight that I maintain by exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:59 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuljago View Post
I only sweat a little when I exercise and it's not even noticeable and I don't even feel tired. I can jog 1 hour on the treadmill at 5.8 avg speed etc.... and still nothing, even when I increase the speed, the only thing that I accomplish is making my knees hurt when I walk up the stairs, even when I exercise that extreme, I still do not sweat enough, the most is probably feeling wet on my forhead. Is there something wrong with me? I am not overweight, average weight that I maintain by exercising.

Turn up the thermostat.

As far as I know there isn't a direct correlation between the volume of sweat produced and the worthiness of your workout. People sweat at different rates and you should judge your workouts by other factors like heart rate, muscle fatigue and breathing over the volume of sweat produced. If you're getting a good workout, you're getting a good workout regardless of how much you sweat.

Also if your knees are hurting try low-impact cardiovascular exercises like swimming, elliptical machines and so on or reevaluate your running form and shoe choice. Treadmills are notorious for creating knee problems.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Joint pain + low sweat output could also be you are chronically dehydrated. OR if you live somewhere really dry you don't really stay sweaty. Southwestern air is totally different than northeastern air for me.

Do you have a fan running on you at all? Headaches? Dark circles? Back pain?

I would not turn up the heat just in case your body does have an issue with cooling itself. Heatstroke can be deadly. That can happen to anyone when they exercise in the heat (over 80 degrees). Try taking your temp after you exercise. Is it at a dangerously high level?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,076 times
Do you drink a lot of water? How about kick boxing or step classes? Step machine? I exercise 5 times a week and still sweat buckets 25 minutes on a step machine at a fairly high level--but I also drink at least 3 large glasses of water during the day.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Pay more attention to the pain in your knees and less to your sweat, or lack thereof.

Everyone sweats differently. Just make sure you're drinking enough water so you don't get dehydrated.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuljago View Post
Why do you want to sweat? Are you looking to get rid of water weight or something?

If you really want to, just get yourself one of those Everlast sauna suits and go running.
Deluxe EVA Sauna Suit-Everlast.com (http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVSNSS%202 - broken link)
Walking up stairs is hardly "extreme" exercise. This could be your problem. You arent working out hard enough if you consider walking up stairs to be "extreme".

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

84 posts, read 196,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Why do you want to sweat? Are you looking to get rid of water weight or something?

If you really want to, just get yourself one of those Everlast sauna suits and go running.
Deluxe EVA Sauna Suit-Everlast.com (http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVSNSS%202 - broken link)
Walking up stairs is hardly "extreme" exercise. This could be your problem. You arent working out hard enough if you consider walking up stairs to be "extreme".
I didn't say walking up the stairs is part of my exercise. If I increase the speed of the treadmill and do it for a long time, I still don't sweat enough to even make it noticeable. I just did it on Saturday, was on treadmill for 1 hour, 53 mins jogging 7 mins of walking. I was doing it on a control pace, but when I increase the speed a lot more that it's no longer considered jogging but running, then my knees will hurt (imagine running for 1 hour) when I walk up the stairs after exercising.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

How much someone perspires during rigorous exercise is contingent upon two primary facotrs: ONE--their level of hydration (how much fluid they drink and then retain) and TWO--on their endocrine system. The former can be altered by simply drinking more water. This retained fluid will then transpirate to your body's skin pores as your body heats up and your blood flow and heartrate increase. However, your endocrine system is largely genetic, so there's not much you can do to tweak it. The fact that you hardly sweat after running six miles is most likely a sign that you're in good cardio shape. Either that, or you're severely under-hydrated.
A way to check your hydration level is to taste the perspiration on your forehead. If it tastes salty, and is salty enough to sting your eyes, you are under-hydrated. Try drinking an electrolyte beverage like Gatorade; this can augment perspiration.
Lastly: whatever you do, don't buy one of those sauna suits. They were popular in the '70's but have long since been proven to be dangerous and can cause heat exhaustion and dehydration, and even myocardial problems. I haven't seen a serious, knowledgeable athlete wear one of those things in years, and I'm around athletes everyday.
Oh yeah, as far as your knees hurting: don't overdo your cardio, and you might look into investing in some good running shoes. Sore knees usually signify over-use or insufficient shock absorption in your footwear.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Yes...I think if you don't start sweating with proper hydration you should go talk to a doctor. It could be one of those little signs that something is not healthy in your system. And I would not go to a GP unless they have experience with the endocrine system.

(I suggest a banana+water, pedialyte, coconut milk or smart water - they all hydrate better than gatorade, check them out if you are a gatorade user. I quit drinking so much gatorade because the red turned my teeth orange. )

Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
get a plastic garbage bag cut some holes in it for you arms and head and wear it under your gym clothes when you go for a run you will sweat like crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness