Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,695,353 times

Advertisements

I've heard it said you should inhale thru your nose and exhale thru your mouth while running...why?

What about inhaling thru your mouth during a run and exhaling also thru the mouth? Would that be better or worse than inhale thru nose/exhale thru mouth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM

84 posts, read 195,386 times
I do not know what the correct way is but sometimes I hold my breath and stop breathing while jogging to see how it feels, I can only last like 1 min the most, when I started jogging I was breathing hard from the mouth but now I don't anymore

Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,082,309 times
Inhaling through your nose allows for a deeper intake of air than does breathing in through your mouth, and it also lessens the chance of gagging on your saliva as you can do when intaking air up through your esophogus. Nose breathing should be easier, unless of course you have a cold, or or suffering from allergies or a sinus condition; or a deviated septum. Contrary to popular belief, though, it IS perfectly Ok to breathe through your mouth if you wish.
As far as breathing tempo: usually a "four-count method" is best. This is done with two breaths in, floowed by two out, making for an "in-in-out-out" (four-count) rythym. It's also a bit better to make the second "in' breath a bit deeper than the first. And also make the second "out" breath a bit deeper than the first "out" breath. The deeper second "out" breath allows you to take in a deeper breath following it.
Hope this helps. (I ran h.s varsity track for three years and it wasn't until I ran in college before I learned the proper breathing technique! LOL)

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,848,103 times
Hmmm, well . . . I too was a varsity track man in h.s., and no one ever bothered with trying to breathe in a certain way. It seems to come naturally to breathe both in and out through the mouth during heavy physical activity. Though I've never tried the nose-mouth kind of breathing DURING heavy exertion (am familiar with doing this as part of cooling down, and have had mixed results), I question whether you can really take in a large enough volume of air through the nose alone during heavy exercise. So you might want to try the nose-mouth technique if you feel like experimenting, but if you find that this just does not feel right, I'm guessing that my old teammates from a team that won a state championship one year (yep, true) would agree with me that the natural tendency to breathe through the mouth, both in and out, works pretty well.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,695,353 times
Drummer boy, yes I do have a deviated septum and have learned that breathing in thru the mouth seemed to yield better results, though someone tried telling me breathing thru the nose was to prevent hyperventilation.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
Exhaling through your mouth allows your body to expell more Co2, while breathing in through your nose allows a nice intake of oxegen, it's easier to fill your lungs then to expell.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,274,978 times
I have done a fair amount of reading on running over the past couple years in my quest to win my local 5ks, 10ks, etc, and I don't remember reading anything about breathing techniques. I looked in the index of a couple books I have. Tim Noakes does have a page about breathing from the diaphram in his massive (and excellent) Lore of Running.
Lore of Running - Timothy Noakes - Google Books

Brad Hudson, noted distance running coach doesn't mention breathing techniques in his (also excellent) book Run Faster. My suggestion is don't worry about it; just let nature take its course. My guess is that if anything, worrying about breathing could upset your focus and do more harm that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness