Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am seriously thinking of taking up a Martial Art.

I am a fit guy and I work out several times a week. But it's soooo boring to me.

Lifting weights and going to the gym is not as fun as it used to be. I want a new challenge and something I can pursue long term.

Any suggestions on how to select a Martial Art?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I picked jujitsu because I am small/female. And its just cool and fun that you can flip people who are twice your weight and its easy. Made me feel like a superhero! LOL

Do you have any joint probs or anything like that?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
I saw several styles and just fell in love with taekwondo.

(Sadly I wasn't able to find a good dojang to practice around here. Lots of pseudo masters desperate to give you a contract for years, attracting lots of parents who wanted more babysitting than martial arts, or people paying for the belts instead of earning them. =( )

Last edited by DFWgal; 02-03-2010 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Martial Artisits: How did you select which art to study?
When I was a kid, I had a cousin who studied Kenpo and Ive seen him just smoke guys in real life street/bar fights on several occasions. When I saw the move The Perfect Weapon with Jeff Speakman, it convinced me to find a good non-tournament kenpo school. Now more than 16 years in the art and still going strong. I like Kenpo because it flat out works great for me.

As I started getting deeper and deeper into my study of eastern thought, martial arts and medicine, it naturally brought me to learn taiji as well. Now, I have about 14-15 years experience in Yang style taiji.

Living here in Los Angeles I am lucky to have one of the worlds leading wing chun masters teaching here as well. Been taking private lessons for a few years averaging about 3 hours per day. Love it because you do not have to be big and strong to make it effective. I look at it as more of a martial science than a martial art.

I have no plans to do/learn MMA style martial arts because I dont plan on competing. What Ive got right now is what works and is what is PROVEN on many occasions to work for me.

So, these three - wing chun, kenpo and taiji are the styles I teach and practice. I do attend seminars in silat, escrima, etc. but only to learn the basics tenets of those arts and not to practice/master them.

Bottom line is, you have to find out what is being taught in your area, then decide on which is most fun to you. This, after you decided on WHY you want to learn martial arts.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Greetings,

I am seriously thinking of taking up a Martial Art.

I am a fit guy and I work out several times a week. But it's soooo boring to me.

Lifting weights and going to the gym is not as fun as it used to be. I want a new challenge and something I can pursue long term.

Any suggestions on how to select a Martial Art?
Do you want to actualy fight or is it more recreational? I suggest as you want it for fitness go towards sports based arts. Find a school that trains full contact live sparring. As long as that's the case its legit, avoid mcdojos.

Other than that you need to try things out. Do you prefer Grappling or striking? What's available near you?

I'm biased but the commonly found arts I rate:

Grappling: Judo, BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling.
Striking: Boxing, Mauy thai, Kickboxing.

Kajukenbo's something i'd love to do, but it's really hardcore NHB steetfighting so it might not be for you.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Well, the boxing gym I went to had an influx of of ex-prisoners there, and the owner wanted to diversify. The instructor had studied Muay Thai in Thailand, so it was an easy switch. He raised the prices, and no more thugs!

Depends on what you want. Do you want to "practice" some martial art, and never take a blow, or do you want something useful and fun? Obviously I am biased.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I picked jujitsu because I am small/female. And its just cool and fun that you can flip people who are twice your weight and its easy. Made me feel like a superhero! LOL

Do you have any joint probs or anything like that?
Thanks for the reply.......

No joint problems at all.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I saw several styles and just fell in love with taekwondo.

(Sadly I wasn't able to find a good dojang to practice around here. Lots of pseudo masters desperate to give you a contract for years, attracting lots of parents who wanted more babysitting than martial arts, or people paying for the belts instead of earning them. =( )
And you post sums up my problems.........

Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.......

No joint problems at all.
if you have a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy in your area, go make a visit and see what you think

i've been in BJJ for about 10 years now, and IMO there's nothing really like it...obviously you're a fit guy, which definitely will help.

if you're wanting a great work out, there's nothing like wrestling around on the mat for an hour...

where are you located? i may be able to recommend an academy close by...

also, don't know your age, but BJJ can be practiced at ANY age, Helio Gracie, one of the founding fathers of the art, practiced well into his 80's!!

besides the work out, you WILL gain a self confidence in your ability to defend yourself against an attacker. and this confidence wil be noticeable even after one night of rolling...the knowledge of ground fighting is priceless, and you will learn you don't have to physically hurt your opponent to win the fight.

just noticed you're from Chicago...here's a few you should visit.

http://carlsongraciefederation.com/home.html <---world class instructor
http://www.chicagojiujitsu.com/default.html <---world class instructor
http://www.pedrovianna.com/ <---two black belt instructors

Last edited by rugerjitsu; 02-04-2010 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: found location.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Okay.....cool. I'm glad to see adults. I'm 36 and I thought I'd be the only adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
if you have a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy in your area, go make a visit and see what you think

i've been in BJJ for about 10 years now, and IMO there's nothing really like it...obviously you're a fit guy, which definitely will help.

if you're wanting a great work out, there's nothing like wrestling around on the mat for an hour...

where are you located? i may be able to recommend an academy close by...

also, don't know your age, but BJJ can be practiced at ANY age, Helio Gracie, one of the founding fathers of the art, practiced well into his 80's!!

besides the work out, you WILL gain a self confidence in your ability to defend yourself against an attacker. and this confidence wil be noticeable even after one night of rolling...the knowledge of ground fighting is priceless, and you will learn you don't have to physically hurt your opponent to win the fight.

just noticed you're from Chicago...here's a few you should visit.

Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Chicago, BJJ, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA Academy <---world class instructor
Chicago Jiu-Jitsu <---world class instructor
-||| Pedro Vianna Jiu Jitsu |||- <---two black belt instructors

Last edited by Ron.; 02-04-2010 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness