Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
OP, you obviously need a specific type of exercise program and not some general/generic recommendations from people on a message board who are not disabled themselves.

I say go to Google to get some specific info and maybe your ortho doc as well. Good luck with that.
Yes, I'm aware of this risk but one never knows when one may find someone taking care of a parent or in the same situation as me.

Ya don't know unless ya ask!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
Are you trying to improve cardiorespiratory fitness?
Can you do non weight bearing exercises with your legs? eg swimming?

I need more info to help you out. Perhaps find a gym with a pool and swim if your legs are dysfunctional.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Are you trying to improve cardiorespiratory fitness?
Can you do non weight bearing exercises with your legs? eg swimming?

I need more info to help you out. Perhaps find a gym with a pool and swim if your legs are dysfunctional.
There is no gym , or swimming, facility within 45 miles of my home since I live in very rural area of the mid west.

No weight bearing is possible much beyond simple short distance walking. I did, however, order this set of bands to help me from the seated position when if really cold enough to keep me off my bike as I noted earlier.

Amazon.com: Go Fit Ultimate Pro Gym: Sports & Outdoors

I've done some googling and have found a few simple chair excerises that I've implemented today.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
You don't need a gym to get in shape. There are exercise videos on netflix instant if you want to check them out. They have all types actually but I did see a few that were geared more towards what you are looking for. Since you are in the house why not run in place? You can also do simple arm and leg circles to get your blood flowing. If you have issues lifting your legs use a long towel kinda like a stirrup to use your arm power to help make the circles with your legs. Be very careful about exercises that bend you forward. Falling out of your chair onto you head...that would be bad. I know personally that you can get very dizzy when you have not been active and then you try to be. When you are stronger look for this exercise bar/workout:

BodyFlex Official Site - Body Flex GymBar - Just minutes a day, sitting down.

You can find it on ebay cheaper usually. But the workout that comes with it was easy as far as I remember. I never exercised consistantly when I was not able to regular stuff.

Windsor 20 minute pilates was nice, slow and easy. She shows easy modifications too so that really helped and it was not annoying to watch. (no loud music of orange over enthusiastic fitness guru)

Be careful and don't strain. (and don't bonk your face off the floor ☺ )

Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You don't need a gym to get in shape. There are exercise videos on netflix instant if you want to check them out. They have all types actually but I did see a few that were geared more towards what you are looking for. Since you are in the house why not run in place? You can also do simple arm and leg circles to get your blood flowing. If you have issues lifting your legs use a long towel kinda like a stirrup to use your arm power to help make the circles with your legs. Be very careful about exercises that bend you forward. Falling out of your chair onto you head...that would be bad. I know personally that you can get very dizzy when you have not been active and then you try to be. When you are stronger look for this exercise bar/workout:

BodyFlex Official Site - Body Flex GymBar - Just minutes a day, sitting down.

You can find it on ebay cheaper usually. But the workout that comes with it was easy as far as I remember. I never exercised consistantly when I was not able to regular stuff.

Windsor 20 minute pilates was nice, slow and easy. She shows easy modifications too so that really helped and it was not annoying to watch. (no loud music of orange over enthusiastic fitness guru)

Be careful and don't strain. (and don't bonk your face off the floor ☺ )
Since I can't run this link proves to be VERY promising......
"The entire BodyFlex program can be done while sitting down. This includes the deep breathing and the GymBar resistance exercises. It's easy and it's fast. All of the directions are printed in pictures right on the GymBar"

Thanks for the link!!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Hope it helps you too. Yeh, I did not know if you could run for a minute or march in place for a couple minutes. But with the deep breathing that goes with that bar workout you do feel your heart rate increase softly. Its a very nice gentle way to get the blood flowing.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Hope it helps you too. Yeh, I did not know if you could run for a minute or march in place for a couple minutes. But with the deep breathing that goes with that bar workout you do feel your heart rate increase softly. Its a very nice gentle way to get the blood flowing.
YES!!!!!!!!! I just scored a Gymbar on E-bay......cheap!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Hooray!!!!!! The sit down exercise bar I bought off e-bay (NIB) came today!!!

I tried it out and find it to be just what I need!! I can now get some much needed exercise while sitting down!!

I can recommend this device to all who have limited mobility for whatever reason.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 AM

AWESOME! I am glad you like it. I really like too that you can just roll it to add weight instead of having a kabillion wts or exercise bands laying about.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
AWESOME! I am glad you like it. I really like too that you can just roll it to add weight instead of having a kabillion wts or exercise bands laying about.
I did two sets of ten of all 7 exercise's shown and I.......worked up quite a sweat!!! This simple device really works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness