Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
It is true. How come I can stand beside a bar with 275 lbs on it and lift it with one hand like a suitcase. That uses the transverse and oblique abdominals. And it works a lot better than these machines they sell. I don't see why everyone has all these complicated stomach things. Just do deadlift, clean, squat, suitcase deadlift, push press that type of stuff. Think about it the muscles work in pairs and the ones in the front of the stomach work with the back. And the transverse ones work when you lift something heavy.
chad.roper, I've noticed that you're fixated on comparisons. In one thread, you talk about how powerlifters are stronger than runners and have more success with women. Now you're talking about how powerlifters have stronger abs than the cover models with six packs. What's your point in all this? The poster you responded never suggested that the guy with the six pack was stronger than the powerlifter and yet you skipped right past that part and proceeded to explain why you're stronger. Most of us who believe in health and fitness have healthy self-esteem. It doesn't bruise our egos to see someone who's stronger or has bigger muscles. While I agree that people should have stronger abs, especially to prevent back problems later in life, I also believe in balance. The guy who aspires to have a six pack may be guilty of being vain, but chances are, he's also concerned with strength. Maybe not to the extent of a powerlifter, but being strong still matters to him. So I fail to see what you're trying to prove with all these posts. Frankly, it comes off as insecurity. People who spend this much time trying to prove why they're "better" or why some other group is inferior should probably stop to ask themselves why it matters to them so much. I personally don't spend a lot of time comparing myself to others. My opinion of myself isn't based on whether I'm stronger or leaner than the next guy. Instead, I focus on being the best version of myself. You might want to try that instead of wasting time proving that you're better than everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
I have no fat on me and I'm going to be 31 here in a few months. My ab muscles are defined and visible. But, I don't necessarily have a "6-pack" because I'm not doing several hundred sit-ups a day.

Good diet, cardio, and ab exercises. It's not rocket science.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I have no fat on me and I'm going to be 31 here in a few months. My ab muscles are defined and visible. But, I don't necessarily have a "6-pack" because I'm not doing several hundred sit-ups a day.

Good diet, cardio, and ab exercises. It's not rocket science.
I don't even do ab exercises and my abs are visible. But to get that six pack doesn't require doing several hundred situps a day. The abs are like any muscle. They require resistance to truly be developed. If you can do even 20 situps, then you're not challenging your abs enough, not to mention that situps aren't a great exercise to develop abs to begin with. But I agree with your overall point. Clean diet and cardio, plus weight training will get you a lean midsection.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:08 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I have a friend whos father did weights way back, and at 80 is still quite fit and takes care of himself but when she showed me photos of him winning competitions back in the 60s the ideal mens body didnt look the same is it doees now... he was lean , but not toned in the same way as todays training seems to achieve..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness