Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,721,294 times

Advertisements

Just wondered if anyone else felt like they "had" to workout. If I dont lift, run, or do cardio almost everyday, I feel lousy. About three years ago, when I hit 30, I realized that I was getting pretty heavy and started working out, and dropped about 20 lbs, now I guess Im addicted to working out. Anyone else feel this way? Its like I cant go to bed unless I do something that is related to working out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,196,759 times
I think I'm well on my way. My "symptoms" aren't as severe as yours, but I definitely go on a downer and feel guilty if I don't go to the gym or do something extra around the house.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,022,198 times
arguy1973
you will have to join us on the daily exercise thread. It is a lot of fun sharing our exercises with each other.
I walk every morning do I miss it if I don't ? no lol but that is just because I have so much going on that I can think of a "gazillion" things I could be doing instead
I use to be that way when I was doing heavy workouts and having the exercise thread is a great motivation I am hoping it will be the thing to get me hooked again

karla

Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
arguy1973
you will have to join us on the daily exercise thread. It is a lot of fun sharing our exercises with each other.
I walk every morning do I miss it if I don't ? no lol but that is just because I have so much going on that I can think of a "gazillion" things I could be doing instead
I use to be that way when I was doing heavy workouts and having the exercise thread is a great motivation I am hoping it will be the thing to get me hooked again

karla
sounds like fun on the daily thread, thanks

Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,430,417 times
I wouldn't say I'm addicted to exercise, but I do feel sluggish if I don't get my walk in. I also can't sleep well if I go more than two days w/o walking.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,129,211 times
I wish I was addicted. Can't think of a better addiction! It does definately help though with your mood, your sleeping, just the way you feel in general; gives you more energy!! It really is hard to get started sometimes but once you do it's soooo worth it. Mind you I have crazy kids so I guess in a way I'm forced to be "addicted"...LOL

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,578,503 times
arguy1973, Wow I wish I suffered from that same addiction. I'm sitting here like a sack of potatoes and the only exercise I'm getting is my typing fingers. I've gotten really bad lately and years ago I was exercising regularly and it helped alot. There's a really nice workout facility and swimming pools in my community that are free to use because I live here and I'm embarrassed to say I've never used them once. I have no excuses.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 AM

34 posts, read 179,904 times
Yep...sounds like me. I love to workout. I'm a guy who just turned 47yrs a few days ago and in the best shape of my life. I was blessed with good genetics so I tend to look very young for my age, at least that is what everyone tells me. I had a couple of women come up to me at a family gathering recently astonished that I looked so young and what was my secret. Excercise and a healthy diet I told them, ok genetics helps but one needs to have a plan to maintain that.
At 30yrs old I was 6'3" and 165lbs, and still had the clean cut fraternity guy look from my college days. Ok, I was an ectomorph and probably was not going to look like "Arnold" soon, but I wanted to be a fit, athletic strapping guy into my later yrs and not say I missed in the boat in my teens and 20's.
I made a committment to myself at 30yrs that moving forward i was going to adopt a lifestyle of working out, trying to eat healthy etc.
I started slow at a gym and gained more knowledge and confidence over the years, within a year or so, it became a part of me and the way I live, a passion i guess.
Now I'm still 6'3" and weigh about 195lbs and feel better about my physique than I did in my teens or younger years. Working out is just plain "fun" to me.
Then I started getting crazy about diet, protein, carbs, watching the sugars, etc.
40's seem to be a pivotal time in so many lives of friends and colleagues. There's the many who resign themsleves to getting old and falling apart and then the others who are committed to becoming better, physically and mentally. I'm in the latter group. As long as I have a gym within 10minutes from where I live, I'll be a happy camper the rest of my life!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,770,022 times
I think something happens when we turn 30. I'm a fitness instructor so I am pretty much forced to workout, however it is the best anti-depresant I've ever taken!!

As long as it's not interfering with your life, your still ok. I know of some people where they will actually miss out on social functions to workout or will go to the gym 2-3 times a day. Now of course there are occasions where I will teach classes a few times a day but I'm getting paid for it, so it doesn't count! But I know of a few people who will workout after every meal!

So yes you can become addicted, everything in moderation.

Also there really is no reason, unless you are training for something to workout more than 7-10 hours a week. There is a minimium of 3 hours per week.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I think something happens when we turn 30. I'm a fitness instructor so I am pretty much forced to workout, however it is the best anti-depresant I've ever taken!!

As long as it's not interfering with your life, your still ok. I know of some people where they will actually miss out on social functions to workout or will go to the gym 2-3 times a day. Now of course there are occasions where I will teach classes a few times a day but I'm getting paid for it, so it doesn't count! But I know of a few people who will workout after every meal!

So yes you can become addicted, everything in moderation.

Also there really is no reason, unless you are training for something to workout more than 7-10 hours a week. There is a minimium of 3 hours per week.
I think i fall into the 8 per week. Personal trainer here, so I dont count those times Im helping someone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness