Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Moderate exercise is cleaning?? soon sitting on the couch pressing buttons on the controller will be exercise.
Reading is fundamental....its not about what I think is exercise, its what the JAMA study considers moderate exercise. I was making an example of because the OP thought 1 hour was too much time to spare....however, its not all that much if "moderate exercise" is anything beyond sitting on your couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

I think my post came about because I am just damn sick and tired of the constant "Thou Shalls" from the JAMA. People vary and what people need to eat or not eat and how much they need to exercise varies as well. And of course, let's not forget that the next "study" published in JAMA may negate the results from this one.
Then don't do it! Its your life....cripes....

I guess by your reasoning scientific studies shouldn't be done, lest they conclude that something is not healthy?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Moderate exercise is cleaning?? soon sitting on the couch pressing buttons on the controller will be exercise.
Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com

Just a calculator that has the "cleaning" option if you are curious the burn on that vs. what you do. Which makes this write up even less severe than it seems.

More info on sorting intensity tailored to your fitness level:
Reference Guide to Exercise Intensity

Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Reading is fundamental....its not about what I think is exercise, its what the JAMA study considers moderate exercise. I was making an example of because the OP thought 1 hour was too much time to spare....however, its not all that much if "moderate exercise" is anything beyond sitting on your couch.
I apologize if that seemed rude to you. I was referring to what I saw on TV this am, that said cleaning in 10 minute intervals was good exercise.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I apologize if that seemed rude to you. I was referring to what I saw on TV this am, that said cleaning in 10 minute intervals was good exercise.
I apologize myself...the OP has got my hackles raised...

Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
soon sitting on the couch pressing buttons on the controller will be exercise.
It is for a lot of people I know!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
You have the typical American syndrome ("I don't have time"). Everyone has the time, they just don't want to make it a priority. Enjoy your obesity!
I'm not in the same boat, but I can understand how a lot of women would find the recommendations un-doable. First not everyone works 8 hrs and goes home. Many are being forced to work overtime because others were cut from their dept or they work salary jobs where the boss insists everyone put in 12+ hours a day as a standard practice. Then if she has young children those take up time especially if they have to go to music lessons, soccer practice, etc. They only way I see routine exercising do-able for some family women is if they say take karate lessons with the kids or make the whole family go for a walk. That way you are with the kids but also exercising. Its a lot for women if they also have to do all the housework, cooking and maybe even taking care of elderly parents and then want anywhere close to 8 hrs sleep.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Really, JAMA? Don't women have enough to juggle already? I don't have another 30 minutes in my day since your recent study also decided I need to sleep more. Unless you can figure out a way to make a day more than 24 hours, SHUT UP!!

JAMA Study: Women Need 60 Minutes of Exercise a Day to Stave Off Middle-Age Weight Gain - WSJ.com
We all have the same 24 hours in a day. As Davachka said earlier, everyone has time to make excuses. I know a woman who has a full time job, is a single mother and even takes care of a sick parent. She doesn't make excuses. She makes times to exercise, even if that means giving up other things. Also, JAMA isn't preaching. They're just giving recommendations. If you don't like them, then ignore them. JAMA might come out with a study tomorrow that says I should eat 20 servings of vegetables a day. I wouldn't whine about how unrealistic that is. I'd just concentrate on getting as close to that target as I could. Even if I didn't reach it, I'd still be happy that I did what I could.

What gets me is the mothers (and fathers) who say they don't have time to exercise because of their kids. If I had kids, I would make health and fitness a priority because of my kids. Don't you want to be strong and healthy so you'll be around long enough to take care of them? Do you want to be a burden to them someday because you didn't take proper care of yourself? Don't you want to set a good example for them and show that regular exercise is something they should be doing too?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
We all have the same 24 hours in a day. As Davachka said earlier, everyone has time to make excuses. I know a woman who has a full time job, is a single mother and even takes care of a sick parent. She doesn't make excuses. She makes times to exercise, even if that means giving up other things. Also, JAMA isn't preaching. They're just giving recommendations. If you don't like them, then ignore them. JAMA might come out with a study tomorrow that says I should eat 20 servings of vegetables a day. I wouldn't whine about how unrealistic that is. I'd just concentrate on getting as close to that target as I could. Even if I didn't reach it, I'd still be happy that I did what I could.

What gets me is the mothers (and fathers) who say they don't have time to exercise because of their kids. If I had kids, I would make health and fitness a priority because of my kids. Don't you want to be strong and healthy so you'll be around long enough to take care of them? Do you want to be a burden to them someday because you didn't take proper care of yourself? Don't you want to set a good example for them and show that regular exercise is something they should be doing too?
Great post DC. Tried to rep you but I need to spread it around a bit first. Especially love the part in red above which is what I have been saying for years here on CD. My health/fitness become even MORE of a priority for me when I became a father because I felt that I have more of an obligation to be around for as long as possible to help my daughter grow up.

We find time to eat, we can find time to workout/exercise as they are both equally important.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
My health/fitness become even MORE of a priority for me when I became a father because I felt that I have more of an obligation to be around for as long as possible to help my daughter grow up.
I don't have kids and I don't pretend to know what it's like to be a parent. I'm sure it's incredibly demanding and leaves you with little free time for yourself. But most of the parents I know factor their kids into almost all of their decisions. What job to take or pass on, whether to travel for work, even what car to buy. These are examples of where having kids will impact your choices. So you'll take a job that you don't like but pays well or you'll take a job that doesn't pay well, but doesn't make you travel or work long hours. You do these things for your kids. But you won't make your health a priority for them? Being a good parent isn't just about being a good provider or getting them to soccer practice on time. It's also about being healthy and making sure you'll always be there for them. I wish more parents would realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness