Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 PM

148 posts, read 550,234 times

Advertisements

i started walking with a friend I told her it should take about 18 min to walk a mile she says 20 min. But then I heard 15 could someone help us with this.
also 5 K equals 3.1 miles am i correct on this one. My view stretch before walking and a warm up lap after and a cool down lap after wards which should not count toward the mile
any comments here. Would really like some advice on this
Thanks for helping out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
3 mph = 20 minute mile
4 mph = 15 minute mile

So an 18 minute mile would be in there somewhere. That's fairly brisk for some people, so it really varies on your endurance and fitness.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I think 3 MPH is considered "standard" walking speed for an army, so it's probably an OK estimate for "average" or "normal" people.

There are a lot of Americans who would be challenged to keep moving for a mile, to cover it in 30, 40 or more minutes.

Of course the above are for more or less level terrain, nothing worse than a dirt road or jeep trail - if you get into sand, snow, mud the pace will slow.

FWIW I have heard that most people get very little conditioning out of *running* one mile, they finish in less than 10 minutes, it takes about 10 minutes to deplete chemically stored energy in the liver such that real conditioning can begin. So you are better off walking the mile than running it.

This may be more about fat burning than aerobic conditioning, I forget. But I tend to look at the # of minutes exercised beyond the first 10 as the figure of merit, by that I mean a 30 minute run, stair stepper or eliptical session is "twice" as good (20 net minutes) than a 20 minute one (10 net minutes)

Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
I walk 3 miles every morning in 40 minutes.....13 minutes & 20 seconds

Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
When I used to walk on treadmills I would walk a mile in 15 minutes. That is a pretty standard walking speed.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
i started walking with a friend I told her it should take about 18 min to walk a mile she says 20 min. But then I heard 15 could someone help us with this.
also 5 K equals 3.1 miles am i correct on this one. My view stretch before walking and a warm up lap after and a cool down lap after wards which should not count toward the mile
any comments here. Would really like some advice on this
Thanks for helping out
NO ONE should walk faster than is normally comfortable and they should ALWAYS wear the very best shoes they can afford that are NOT worn out to avoid foot,ankle, knee & hip injury.

People just don't get how important your shoes are when you walk on a paved surface to protect the whole body!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Don't get too hung-up on how fast you're walking; a far more important statistic is how long you spend walking every day, and thus, how long you're keeping your heartrate elevated. This is what aerobic--or cardio--fitness is all about. For example, a decent cardio program would have you exercising to a level which allows you to attain your target heartrate for 45 minutes a day, four to five times a week. To find target heartrate (THR) take the number 220 then subtract your age. Then, from this number, figure out what 75% of it is. THAT is the THR you should be hitting for about 45 minutes a day. After all, walking speed is in-part affected by your stride length. I'm a 6'-2" runner and can power walk a mile in about 12:30. But I wouldn't expect a 5"-6" woman to do that. So, yeah, your 18 minute mile is probably fine to stat-out with. Take your pulse periodically during your walk. (Do this by taking your pulse on your corotoid artery on your neck or on your inner wrist. You'll need a watch. Count your pulse for 15 seconds and then multiply by four. That's your heartrate. Exercise to a level which allows you to hit your THR.
Cardio is all about time spent at THR!! Speed comes later.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
3 mph = 20 minute mile
4 mph = 15 minute mile

So an 18 minute mile would be in there somewhere. That's fairly brisk for some people, so it really varies on your endurance and fitness.
Sounds right.

I walk 2.2 miles and finish in 35 minutes.

It is a brisk pace and I have to remind myself to keep it brisk.

I saw an article in a magaine that was so screwed up ,it was a joke.
The photo showed an elderly gray haired couple in a picture that looked like they were on a stroll, yet the article mentioned how far the elderly should walk and at what pace.

I did the math, and it would be at a 6mph pace. ( I tossed the magazine in the trash )

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I walk 3 miles every morning in 40 minutes.....13 minutes & 20 seconds
Now thats what I call a really brisk walk. Good for you.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I find that where I am walking has alot to do with how fast and how far I want to walk. I usually walk between 2 an 4 miles daily. Even with all the rain we get here in Oregon I walk. I put my hood up or like today with heavy rain I used an umbrella.

A walking/bike path that goes on uninterrupted for miles, on a paved surface is perfect for speed distance and endurance. One will notice their speed pick up when walking in that type setting.

A walk in a neighborhood or urban environment with lots of streets and traffic hinders the walkers ability to pick up speed.

All in all I agree with the other poster its the distance walked that is important vs the speed. Although a brisk walk of say 16 to 20 minutes per mile is best and even less time is even better.

I think I walk a mile in around 16 minutes sometimes 15 1/2 if on one of those nice trails I mentioned.

Just concentrate on some daily walks of a distance of your choice but at least 30 minutes will give you many benefits. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness