Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM

13 posts, read 70,216 times

Advertisements

Running is a wonderful form of cardiovascular exercise; unfortunately it has gained a reputation for causing injury. This is unfair, in my opinion, and in this article how to avoid common running injuries in 3 easy steps, I will show you how to avoid some of the most common ones.

The first common problem that I see in runners that can cause everything from muscle strains to tears is simply lack of a proper warm-up. While this may not seem so bad, after all most people might think, "Well in five minutes I've worked up a sweat so it can't be all bad." While this may be true a cold and tight muscle is more apt to be injured be it a simple, pull, strain, or in the worse case and tear. But the worst thing a lack of a proper warm-up does simply add wear and tear on the body, the body is not warm and ready to go so each time you push it to the limit by not warming up I feel you are just that much closer to an injury. Think of it this way if you keep stretching out a rubber over and over sooner or later it is going to break, but not just from that last stretch, it was all those previous stretches that combined to do it. One day you'll be running and out of the blew bam, an injury will happen, most people will put it off to well it was just my time, but what they forget is all those times they were in a hurry and ran without a warm-up. A warm up doesn't have to be much, walk first of 5-10 minutes progressively getting faster and faster until you're doing a light jog and then slowly and I mean slowly over the coarse of another 10 minutes pick up your pace until you are running at the pace you want to.

The second common thing that I see runners do all the time, which over time can cause injuries is not stretching. Again just like with warm ups, you think, well I'm running late so I'll just skip stretching JUST this once and well we all know what happens, something comes up again and again, and well you get the idea. Stretching out your hamstrings, calf muscles, lower back, upper back, abs, and just about any other muscle you find that is tight after a run will only take 10 minutes, yet as with warm-ups, over time you'll see less soreness, less of those nagging injuries and I'll bet that you're running will improve. Now if you're wondering why I didn't include the thighs in the list of muscles to stretch, it is simply because most peoples thighs maintain an adequate level of flexibility, however by all means if your thighs are tight by all means stretch them out. An excellent book that can be found at most libraries is called STRECTHING by Bob Anderson. With this book you'll have all the stretches you could possibly want.

Last but definitely not least is the post workout meal. If you are wondering why I've included nutrition in an article about injuries, well a muscle that is not fully recovered/sore is more apt to be injured and there is no better time to refuel your body than after a hard run. I'm glad that protein has come back into favor as of late, because before running was all about carbohydrates, and they are great, especially if you favor good quality ones like brown rice, sweet potatoes and fruit. However, protein is vital for muscle growth and repair, so if you don't have enough you are not going to recover as well/if at all, as you should. A great post workout drink is called SURGE and it is made by biotest. However if you can't afford it or simply want something more basic go out and grab some whey protein isolate and mix it with some juice, or you could simply have a banana or two with your shake. I know you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results you will see (faster recovery, better runs) from simply just adding a post workout protein and carb meal after your runs. If you're wondering how soon you should have your shake after your run, if you can get your shake or whey isolate and bananas in within 30 minutes of your run you'll be fine. I hope you've enjoyed, how to avoid common running injuries in 3 easy steps, and I wish you all the best in your running.

Last edited by mdz; 06-11-2007 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,987,021 times
I avoided running injuries by these three easy steps.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 AM

28 posts, read 48,721 times
Thanks for the tips! My wife is starting up and I had her read this.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,551,256 times
Number One: carry a big can of mace for Cujo.....

Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,295,851 times
I warm up but have never stretched, and have been running over 30 years. I just never liked stretching. Now the research is saying that static stretching (i.e. stretch & hold) is not recommended.

If I had to list three top ways to avoid injury it would be:

1)avoid running on pavement
2)build speed and distance gradually over time.
3)limit how much intense running you do in a week, especially intervals & tempos. Do a couple days of easy running after an intense run.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,493,493 times
Based on my experience, the stuff on the OPs list has almost zero impact on your ability to avoid running injuries. In fact, stretching has been shown in published experiments to have no effect on the rate of injury versus those who didn't stretch.

Wutitiz list is much better, particularly #2: building speed and distance gradually over time. I can not stress the importance of this enough.

I would add:
4) Buy shoes that support your form and running style, and replace them every 300-400 miles of use.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Based on my experience, the stuff on the OPs list has almost zero impact on your ability to avoid running injuries. In fact, stretching has been shown in published experiments to have no effect on the rate of injury versus those who didn't stretch.

Wutitiz list is much better, particularly #2: building speed and distance gradually over time. I can not stress the importance of this enough.

I would add:
4) Buy shoes that support your form and running style, and replace them every 300-400 miles of use.

Good, but I disagree w/ 4. I put thousands of miles on shoes. I run mostly on dirt trails and treadmill. I am somewhat careful to race in shoes w/ low mileage, since most races are on pavement. I'm sure that I have shoes with over 3000 miles on them. I use them until the upper starts to fall apart. My brand is Mizuno.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,299,155 times
Default Injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Good, but I disagree w/ 4. I put thousands of miles on shoes. I run mostly on dirt trails and treadmill. I am somewhat careful to race in shoes w/ low mileage, since most races are on pavement. I'm sure that I have shoes with over 3000 miles on them. I use them until the upper starts to fall apart. My brand is Mizuno.
I have read your posts on this topic. Experienced any knee problems? Just wondering, I have been running for years and my knee problems are related to weights...i.e. dropping weights on them.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM

451 posts, read 767,384 times
I avoid common running injuries in just one simple step: I don't run.

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation any longer!)

Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I have read your posts on this topic. Experienced any knee problems? Just wondering, I have been running for years and my knee problems are related to weights...i.e. dropping weights on them.
No I have been lucky not to have knee problems.

I actually had somewhat bad knees as a kid from playing basketball on outdoor concrete courts. I read an interview of Cubs player Andre Dawson, who said he thought playing on natural grass at Wrigley Field would extend his career several years, because it was easier on his bad knees. That made a lightbulb go off in me, and when I took up running I always made sure to avoid running on pavement.

I believe running has actually made my knees stronger. I work a fairly physical blue collar job, and several co-workers have had to undergo surgery from knee problems due to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness