Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,468 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been staying clear of processed sugars, any junk foods, fast food and anything else that is not on our "good" list. we have been doing great. I have been cooking at home every night. Packing really healthy lunches for us and the kids and I honestly don't even crave soda anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
For such a small serving size (which is much smaller than most people tend to typically eat), it has an immense amount of fat in it (plus many brands have a bunch of sugar as well). Of course, this could be said about all nuts. It's not the worst thing to eat and it's fine in moderation, but sometimes it's too good to only have a spoonful of!
That is good to know. I have always figured peanut butter was good snack, because peanuts have good fat, protein and other nutrients. I knew about the sugar in some brands, but not all the fat, but in my position "good fat" is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-07-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
All things in moderation. If you can stop at a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, more power to you. If you find yourself opening a jar and devouring the whole thing (with or without a spoon) (not that I would know anything about that), you're better off not buying it at all.

I've found I can eat peanut butter in moderation if I eat the stuff made only from peanuts -- no sugar, salt or oil. Peanut butter used to be one of those things I couldn't keep in the house, but I"ve found a way to enjoy it without overdoing it.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
I've found I can eat peanut butter in moderation if I eat the stuff made only from peanuts -- no sugar, salt or oil.
Yeah, the natural kind of peanut butter is usually just peanuts and a little salt.

On topic for the thread, I was at happy hour after work last night, and there was a family party in the back room of the bar. Every single person in that party was huge--not 500 pounds, but all of them were round. The whole family, even the kids. All shoving cake in their faces.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:47 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,377 times
If you actually read the nutrition info on most peanut butters at your average grocery store, you might be a bit discomforted at the amount of fat and sugar in them. That is the type of peanut butter most people eat. . . not the more natural and healthy types. The argument that "oh, it's a good kind of fat" is ridiculous because most people don't have only a spoonful and most people also eat other sources of fats throughout the day. Good or bad, it's still fat and moderation and rationing are key. The same goes for avocados (which are amazingly tasty!!).

Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
If you actually read the nutrition info on most peanut butters at your average grocery store, you might be a bit discomforted at the amount of fat and sugar in them. That is the type of peanut butter most people eat. . . not the more natural and healthy types. The argument that "oh, it's a good kind of fat" is ridiculous because most people don't have only a spoonful and most people also eat other sources of fats throughout the day. Good or bad, it's still fat and moderation and rationing are key. The same goes for avocados (which are amazingly tasty!!).
I only really talking about the more "natural and healthy types" as processed stuff and stuff with sugar added is obviously bad. Additionally, their is quite a legitimate argument for a diet with more non-saturated fat and less trans-fats is huge from what I have read. Especially, if you are like me and require a very high caloric intake, I guess I will have to up my consumption of peanut butter.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-08-2010 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I only really talking about the more "natural and healthy types" as processed stuff and stuff with sugar added is obviously bad. Additionally, their is quite a legitimate argument for a diet with more non-saturated fat and less trans-fats is huge from what I have read. Especially, if you are like me and require a very high caloric intake, I guess I will have to up my consumption of peanut butter.
Even if you look at the healthy & natural peanut butters, there is still quite a bit of fat and sugar in them - at least more than what your average "healthy food" contains. I just think that peanut butter (with the rare exception, like homemade and nothing added and etc.) is one of those food items like store-bought granola and grapes that are grouped off as healthy and diet friendly when they're really not. I consider peanut butter to be a treat, albeit not a particularly bad one like a decadent dessert or lasagna. Then again, I'm wary of products that contain too much sugar - yes, even the natural type. It's crazy the amount of sugar in 95% of food at the grocery store.

You mentioned that you require a very high caloric intake (I'm guessing you're extremely, extremely active?), so obviously each person possesses a different range. However, anyone trying to tone up or lose the slightest bit of weight (not referring to you, but in general) should not overdo nuts. While they are a great snack and source of healthy fat, eating half the can is a complete negation of a diet. That's more than 30 grams of fat - for a snack, not even a meal.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,484 times
People now are twice the size they were back in the early 90's. I have a 1991 honda prelude Si States. The way the seats are made an overweight person won't even fit in it. In my new car the seats look like they were intentionally designed to seat monster junk food eating americans.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
People now are twice the size they were back in the early 90's. I have a 1991 honda prelude Si States. The way the seats are made an overweight person won't even fit in it. In my new car the seats look like they were intentionally designed to seat monster junk food eating americans.
Put a sock in it, Chad. Your posting history proves you have little of value to contribute to any discussion of fitness and health.

Frankly, these threads annoy the living crap out of me. Even those of us who work out regularly and try to eat a healthy diet struggle with weight. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the battle of the bulge is hard fought and harder won. Be kind!

Next time you see people at the gym carrying a little bit of extra around their waists, think about how great it is that they are making the effort. As somebody who works out six days a week and still isn't bikini ready (and may never be), believe me when I tell you that heavy people aren't deliberately trying to offend your high aesthetic standards. Life is difficult, and most of us are doing the very best we can. Your disdain, no matter how much you try to hide it, is obvious and it doesn't help matters one bit. It just makes you obnoxious.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-09-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Even if you look at the healthy & natural peanut butters, there is still quite a bit of fat and sugar in them - at least more than what your average "healthy food" contains. I just think that peanut butter (with the rare exception, like homemade and nothing added and etc.) is one of those food items like store-bought granola and grapes that are grouped off as healthy and diet friendly when they're really not. I consider peanut butter to be a treat, albeit not a particularly bad one like a decadent dessert or lasagna. Then again, I'm wary of products that contain too much sugar - yes, even the natural type. It's crazy the amount of sugar in 95% of food at the grocery store.

You mentioned that you require a very high caloric intake (I'm guessing you're extremely, extremely active?), so obviously each person possesses a different range. However, anyone trying to tone up or lose the slightest bit of weight (not referring to you, but in general) should not overdo nuts. While they are a great snack and source of healthy fat, eating half the can is a complete negation of a diet. That's more than 30 grams of fat - for a snack, not even a meal.
How you eat half a can of that stuff at once is beyond me. On a side note, since I have not had it in a while, I when out and got some of the "healthy type" and honestly I do not think 1g of sugar per serving is terrible in peanut butter, especially if you need the kind of energy you get from nuts and want to avoid trans-fats.

As to activity level, some of the best paying short term jobs are in various manual labor positions and as such that is most what I have done ever since the end of high school when I needed to save up some money. So if that makes me extremely, extremely active I guess that is the case because in order to do that kind of stuff you need to pack it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness