Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,949,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
ok, i can increase up to 55 or 60 lbs and do less reps. that makes sense. the gym i go to only goes to 70lbs (probably pretty standard) when using bar bells. thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!

jr rider 23, i skip breakfast, usually eat a sub sandwich with chips for lunch, with a coke. dinner is spaghetti, tacos, fish, chicken, etc. i dont eat the best, but i'm working on cutting out the cokes/beer/late night snacks.
You need to start eating breakfast. 70 lbs is kinda low but that really isn't an issue for you at the moment. I'd say 100 lbs is standard at most gyms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,896,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
70 lbs is kinda low but that really isn't an issue for you at the moment. I'd say 100 lbs is standard at most gyms.
Actually, we dont know what the OP can lift so suggesting any poundage isnt really helpful. All we can do is suggest that he lifts heavy enough for HIM that he fails on the 8th rep of the set.

100 pound dumbbells are NOT the standard at most gyms. Sure all gyms have them, but they are NOT the standard unless you go to a private bodybuilding gym where only the likes of Lee Haney or Jay Cutler workout.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 AM

181 posts, read 597,858 times
Quote:
ok, i can increase up to 55 or 60 lbs and do less reps. that makes sense. the gym i go to only goes to 70lbs (probably pretty standard) when using bar bells. thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!

jr rider 23, i skip breakfast, usually eat a sub sandwich with chips for lunch, with a coke. dinner is spaghetti, tacos, fish, chicken, etc. i dont eat the best, but i'm working on cutting out the cokes/beer/late night snacks.
skipping breakfast is TERRIBLE. People who want to lose weight tend to do this often, and they wonder why they can't lose weight. Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism after 8 hours of sleep where your body hasn't eaten anything. That's why it is ideal to have 5-6 smaller meals per day to keep your metabolism going; it is optimal for both weight loss and weight gain with a good routine.

Also, I am sure that your gym has more weight than you're saying. You also have to count the bar, which weighs 45 lbs. That is unless you're talking about dumbbells.

Not trying to scare you, but hopefully this can turn you away from coke and towards drinking water. Negative Effects of Coca Cola and Other Soft Drinks on Human Body | Health Studio

EDIT: Lifting to failure is a good technique to use every once in a while, but to do it every single workout is EXTREMELY taxing on your CNS if you use heavy weight.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I agree with everyone else on this part. Cant believe I missed it earlier.

Skipping breakfast is the worst thing anyone can do if they are looking to get healthy, whether they want to lose weight or gain weight.

Just STOP the cokes and such. No one needs to "work on cutting out the cokes" just dont buy it and dont drink it. Cokes are not like cigarretes or drugs where you are addicted to it. Just dont friggin buy it. Thats what fat chicks say when they are too lazy to lose weight - "I need help to cut back on my soda". You should be mentally stronger than that.

As far as the other stuff you eat, switch to whole wheat spagetti and cut out the tacos and chips. Fish is good but NOT from any fast food places. Also, make sure you eat something green with your meals - spinich, broccoli, etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,359,458 times
just convince yourself that drinking dark soda will give your kidney stones. then try to dig of videos of dudes pissing that have kidney stones.

thats how i stopped drinking coke, when i was 13.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,873,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
skipping breakfast is TERRIBLE. People who want to lose weight tend to do this often, and they wonder why they can't lose weight. Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism after 8 hours of sleep where your body hasn't eaten anything. That's why it is ideal to have 5-6 smaller meals per day to keep your metabolism going; it is optimal for both weight loss and weight gain with a good routine.

Also, I am sure that your gym has more weight than you're saying. You also have to count the bar, which weighs 45 lbs. That is unless you're talking about dumbbells.

Not trying to scare you, but hopefully this can turn you away from coke and towards drinking water. Negative Effects of Coca Cola and Other Soft Drinks on Human Body | Health Studio

EDIT: Lifting to failure is a good technique to use every once in a while, but to do it every single workout is EXTREMELY taxing on your CNS if you use heavy weight.
Yes, talking about dumbbells. I know, I'm trying to limit my cokes during the day. I used to drink more but slowly trying to stay at just one or two per day.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,873,225 times
thx everyone. i'm triying to cut out cokes and will start eating breakfast. is eating a couple of eggs with a glass of apple juice ok? something like that?

but i'm still not sure why my arms are def bigger and my chest isnt. i thought bencpressing would work better. maybe i need to add some push-ups b/w sets or something?

Old 04-17-2010, 02:22 PM

181 posts, read 597,858 times
Quote:
thx everyone. i'm triying to cut out cokes and will start eating breakfast. is eating a couple of eggs with a glass of apple juice ok? something like that?

but i'm still not sure why my arms are def bigger and my chest isnt. i thought bencpressing would work better. maybe i need to add some push-ups b/w sets or something?
5 letters to your solution. Get ready cuz this one's a shocker;

SQUAT

When i hurt my RC squats, deads, and other pulling/leg work were the only things i did. My bench shot up 15 lbs when i came back.

No other lift works the entire body the way the squat does. The pressure put on one's muscles during a full ATG squat exceeds any other lift, and causes your whole body to grow. Moral of the story- if you aren't suffering from any sort of injury that prevents you from squatting, you have to squat to see your full potential. Please read the last page to see the routine i posted- i think it's good for your goals

Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 PM

87 posts, read 227,584 times
yeah, no. the guys in the gym with the biggest pecz nd gunz are, shockingly...

training chest and arms

muscle knows tension or no tension, fatigue or no fatigue. first get your form down properly.. if its done right to hit the chest (shoulder blades pinched together, etc) and still not growing, switch over to dumbbell flies and you may get a greater tension stimulus.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, talking about dumbbells. I know, I'm trying to limit my cokes during the day. I used to drink more but slowly trying to stay at just one or two per day.
One of two per day? Thats effin terrible. One of two per week is even bad if you want to get healthy. Try cutting it back to maybe two per month, or only on special occasions even. For you to say "trying to stay at just one or two per day" is horrible. Not only for a fat person who may drink that much, but for someone who wants to get health/fit you need to get off that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness