Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times

Advertisements

This doesn't make sense. When I do dumbbell exercises it burns while lifting though I keep doing them till I do 120 reps. Why do I not feel sore the next day, but instead takes 2 days before I feel the soreness? Not that I want to hurt, but I thought soreness was a sign of a good workout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:01 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,501 times
you don't need to do 120 reps that is over doing it. Use 5x5 and use 90% of your maxium. But what do I know your probably more concerned with how you look than how strong you are.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
you don't need to do 120 reps that is over doing it. Use 5x5 and use 90% of your maxium. But what do I know your probably more concerned with how you look than how strong you are.

I thought you had to do reps till it burns bad to tear down the muscles so it will build? I'm not trying to get bigger. I would like to build some strength, but at the moment weight loss is main goal. And yeah I am doing cardio and careful of what I eat. Have lost 15 lbs so far. I only have up to 5 lb dumbbells so that is also why I do so many reps. Plus I like that feeling of being pumped. Yeah I know must be strange for a girl.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 AM

181 posts, read 598,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
lol- 5x5 isn't for everyone man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I thought you had to do reps till it burns bad to tear down the muscles so it will build? I'm not trying to get bigger. I would like to build some strength, but at the moment weight loss is main goal. And yeah I am doing cardio and careful of what I eat. Have lost 15 lbs so far. I only have up to 5 lb dumbbells so that is also why I do so many reps. Plus I like that feeling of being pumped. Yeah I know must be strange for a girl.
Nope. Think about it this way. Lets say i can bench 225 pounds as my max. Am I going to work my muscles more by doing something like 185 for 3x5, or 95 lbs for 3x35? The 35 reps are barely working my muscles since i can bench 225, so even doing 35 reps is going to be easy. The 185 for 3 sets of 5 reps is going to hit my muscles harder since it's 90 lbs heavier, and because of this it will stimulate my muscles a lot more.

It is also better on most lifts to use heavier weight (than you have now) with less reps (maybe 3x8) to lose weight. That's a common misconception that floods around gyms. It's the same concept as the 95 lbs vs the 185 lbs. Your body has to work harder to handle heavier weights, so you'll burn more calories and gain more muscle by doing the 185 lbs.

Oh wow- is there anyway you can get any DBs heavier than 5 pounds?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Five pounds? Oh man. I know dumbbells can be expensive, but 5 lbs won't do anything for you. If you rinse out two plastic milk jugs, you can fill them with water (1 gallon is about 8 lbs) or sand (about 10 lbs). I know it's rinkydink, but you've got to lift more than 5!

Another thing you might do is look on Craigslist. You can often find people who are moving or getting new weight sets selling random dumbbells for cheap.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
This doesn't make sense. When I do dumbbell exercises it burns while lifting though I keep doing them till I do 120 reps. Why do I not feel sore the next day, but instead takes 2 days before I feel the soreness? Not that I want to hurt, but I thought soreness was a sign of a good workout?
5 lbs and 120 reps is doing nothing for you. NOTHING. Are you using the DBs at the gym or is that all you have at home? You definitely need to be lifting much heavier weights.

Also, what routines are you doing with the dumbbells?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
5 lbs and 120 reps is doing nothing for you. NOTHING. Are you using the DBs at the gym or is that all you have at home? You definitely need to be lifting much heavier weights.

Also, what routines are you doing with the dumbbells?
Yeah, 5lbs + 120 reps is just building lactic acid in your muscles.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM

I'll try to find something heavier. Walmart is about the only place to shop in this lousy town for weights and they don't have much selection. I have the molded DB's. I use to have a set with interchangable plates but my ex took those. There's a shoe store in town that used to have a few exercise items, mostly boxing stuff. I'll check there. How much should a woman be lifting in DB's who is not a pro lifter? I have no one to compare with as none of my female friends will even exercise. I thought 5 was heavy for a woman because the girl at the Walmart checkout couldn't lift it and made me lift it from the cashiers line to my cart. lol

You guys have to keep in mind I'm not a big man. I'm a short, overweight woman who was completely physically disabled and just recently re-learned how to walk. I also have scoliosis, arthritis in low back and bad knees. I'm not sure I should be lifting heavy.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 PM

181 posts, read 598,722 times
Quote:
I'll try to find something heavier. Walmart is about the only place to shop in this lousy town for weights and they don't have much selection. I have the molded DB's. I use to have a set with interchangable plates but my ex took those. There's a shoe store in town that used to have a few exercise items, mostly boxing stuff. I'll check there. How much should a woman be lifting in DB's who is not a pro lifter? I have no one to compare with as none of my female friends will even exercise. I thought 5 was heavy for a woman because the girl at the Walmart checkout couldn't lift it and made me lift it from the cashiers line to my cart. lol

You guys have to keep in mind I'm not a big man. I'm a short, overweight woman who was completely physically disabled and just recently re-learned how to walk. I also have scoliosis, arthritis in low back and bad knees. I'm not sure I should be lifting heavy.
What did your doctor tell you to do regarding lifting? Are there any exercises you should stay away from? I think you can progress with DBs doing using something like 3x12 per exercise so it's not as heavy, but not to the point where it's too light. I'd go 4-5 reps away from failure for where you are and once you hit 3x12, move up the DBs 5 lbs

Old 04-17-2010, 05:41 PM

They only advise I've ever been given by doctors was when first diagnosed with scoliosis that I'm not allowed to lift above 20lbs above the head. If you are sitting down doing DB flys does that really count as over the head?

Otherwise doctors have really been of no help as they appear to be clueless about exercising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness