Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post

lol. Why would powerlifters do squats and deadlifts on the same day? If they want to perform optimally, they would be smart to not their 2 biggest lifts on the same day. For beginners, there are programs that have squats and deads on the same day, but for a real PLer, this is usually not the case.
Because a) they have to do it at the meet on the same day and b) when the weight gets big, it gets to be too much to go heavy twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I've focused on running alot more now. I go running 2-3 times a week. I run 2-3 miles each time. After my run, I do a series ab streches and whatnot. At the park I usually run at, they have pullup and other bars so I do a few sets of lifting my body in varies ways.

I try to get to the gym 3 times a week but always get to the gym twice a week. I do my legs though I have to take a week off, I feel my knee starting to get that bad feeling so need to take a week off for my knee. I do my chest and back. I do my arms all in one day. Yea I know, I've heard doing my arms all in one day is a bad idea. I start off with my shoulders then to my tris, then my biecps, then my forearms. I focus on military press and dips then try to do some chinups if possible. Depending on the gym I'm at and how busy it is, I have to switch up my routine.

Then I do 20 minutes of cardio on an eplitic (spelling) or do my abs, once again depending on which gym I'm at. I like to do my abs last but if the ab area is slammed, I do cardio and vise versa.

I've lost about 15 pounds in the last three months, mostly from my gut which is my goal. Thanks to the lower weight, I can do ALOT more dips. I use to struggle doing 3 sets of 10. Now I can do 4 sets of 10. I can also do a few more pullups per set.

My diet, I've cut soda drinking from my diet. I mean, I sometimes do drink it on the weekend with friends but I use to drink it daily during the week...just cause. I drink about a gallon of water a day now. I eat a banana, apple, and half a cucumber daily as well. I've cut down on fatty food as well.
That's awesome!! If you are training primarily for weight loss, i would look into HIIT. Complexes are great too- i think you'd enjoy doing them with bodyweight exercises... something like 5 sets of:

Sprint 30 seconds, 8 pullups, 8 dips, 25 pushups (no rest)..

Yeah, dedicating a day to arms isn't the best idea in the world, but it's not going to kill you... Not really a big deal considering what your goals are. Good call prioritizing military and dips.

I personally don't think the elliptical is necessary since you're running enough already.

Drinking soda from time to time isn't that bad. Green tea is really good as well.

keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Just piping up here, but that makes sense to me. I've added pullups to my weight routine, and I am really feeling it in my abs. I would have thought it was all shoulders and back, but I feel it in my abs the most afterward. I'm not sure why, though.
I think it has to do with the lower back-- if you keep your back as straight up as possible, your core has to fight to not let it extend.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
I like this lift and I also like when the late four time Worlds Strongest Man competition winner John Paul Sigmarsson said "there is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift".

YouTube - There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,317 times
I don't see why someone needs an "arm day". What I do is simple yours is complicated. I do not even do any "arm stuff" I only do squat, deadlift, hang clean, benchpress, military press, and pullups using a belt and weights.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
chad.roper wrote:
I don't see why someone needs an "arm day".
Everyone sees the world in their own way. To each his own. Just do your thing....and give everyone else the space to their thing.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I don't see why someone needs an "arm day". What I do is simple yours is complicated. I do not even do any "arm stuff" I only do squat, deadlift, hang clean, benchpress, military press, and pullups using a belt and weights.
  • I get better results when I give my muscles time to rest, so I don't work the same muscles every day.
  • I want to have well-defined shoulders and arms, so I specifically work those muscles.
  • I only have about an hour to work out, so I focus on different muscle groups on different days. Yesterday was arms and shoulders, so I did shoulder presses, close-grip pullups, close-grip chest presses, curls, and front and lateral raises. Alternating sets with my husband took about 40 minutes.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,317 times
if you have an "arm day" then you also need a "thigh day"

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
if you have an "arm day" then you also need a "thigh day"
I run three days a week.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I love thigh day....especially when my workout is over!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
For a lot of people, that is more than enough. However, it really depends on one's goals. I think that assistance work like curls and tricep extensions are fine, but for beginners the reason they're so frowned upon is becuase they're overused and not really necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness