Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 PM

181 posts, read 597,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
You guys beat me to the punch.

A belt is a crutch IMO.

You should be doing enough ab/core work so that you don't need a belt.
I don't think belts are optimal, but if you're going for a max attempt i see no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,929,932 times
Back in post #34 I wrote about a back injury that I brought upon myself thru my own idiotic behaviour. Perhaps if I had been wearing a belt I may not have injured myself. Anyway, that is neither here nor there. A belt may be a crutch indeed, but without that crutch, I would not have been able to continue working out with weights for the past 40 years. Crutches of all sorts do have their place! I am very thankful that the wearing of a simple crutch like a lifting belt has enabled me to continue working out.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-04-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 05:01 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,927,262 times
I have never worn a belt. I'm not trying to become a huge weight lifter. My goal is to get into 32" jeans again and still maintain a 17" 35-36 dress shirt size. I'd also like to be able to do three sets of 10 pullups. I'm able to do three sets of 10 dips 9/10 times I do dips...sometimes I'm already tired out. I feel like I'm the same exact size as I was 3 years ago when I started working but my dress shirts say otherwise. I use to wear 15 1/2 34-35 and all of those are too tight around my neck, the sleeves are too short, and too tight around my back.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,010,494 times
I don't think dead lifts are that unpopular. I'm hardly an avid weight-lifter, but my trainer has me do the straight-leg version regularly to keep me strong for running.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Back in post #34 I wrote about a back injury that I brought upon myself thru my own idiotic behaviour. Perhaps if I had been wearing a belt I may not have injured myself. Anyway, that is neither here nor there. A belt may be a crutch indeed, but without that crutch, I would not have been able to continue working out with weights for the past 40 years. Crutches of all sorts do have their place! I am very thankful that the wearing of a simple crutch like a lifting belt has enabled me to continue working out.
I don't consider belts to be a crutch, since i understand why one might use it for safety reasons. However, i would consider straps to be a crutch.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Also consider that a belt is standard equipment for competetive powerlifters. Those in the know are not shy about taking care of themselves and taking advantage of an opportunity to perform at a higher level.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,927,983 times
Personally, I don't see the need to wear a belt because I'm not using ultra heavy weight when I squat and don't really ever anticipate going much over 315 for sets. There is just no point IMO. I'm not planning on trying out for the NFL or having to pick up a Honda Civic or something.

For my lifting goals (2x body weight one rep max for squats and 1.5 for bench) I don't think a belt is needed. Then again I don't have any health issues and do a lot of ab/lower back work.

Maxing out for 600 Lbs and then yes, you might want to use a belt!

In the end, people should talk to a (good) trainer or their doctor when deciding stuff like this.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM

I am one of those apparently rare individuals who makes BIG decisions like wether to wear a belt or not wear a belt...all by myself without consulting a trainer or a doctor. I like living on the edge!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,927,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I am one of those apparently rare individuals who makes BIG decisions like wether to wear a belt or not wear a belt...all by myself without consulting a trainer or a doctor. I like living on the edge!

No problem with that. If you are anything like me you have been doing this a while and know what does and does not work for you, have done your research and/or had a mentor (coach, trainer, accomplished lifter) to help you as you started out.

My comment was directed more at folks who have little to no weight lifting experience.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 PM

To be honest, asking a doctor is only good sometimes. Yes, doctors are very qualified in what they do, but a lot of them don't have a clue as to what weightlifting and different lifts entail. I have a friend who hurt his wrist, and the doctor told him to stay out of the gym. I told him to grow a pair and finally work on his legs (one of those curl warriors) and do whatever he could do without pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness