Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 03:35 PM

41 posts, read 113,588 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've had Acid Reflux for about 4-5 years. I deal with it pretty frequently, but have learned to manage it decently over the past year (I take one Nexium in the morning). My question is about exercising with it.

What I'm currently doing (or sometimes, "trying to do") with my workouts is standard weight lifting ex's (i.e. bench press, squats, military press, basic barbell curls, rows, push-ups, etc (I have a barbell and weights in the backyard, as well as a bench).

For cardio, I kind of do fast walking on some days, and on others, I like to do some HIIT-style sprinting...In other words, a nice way of saying, going balls to the wall with sprinting until I'm exhausted, resting a little, and then continuing the same thing.

All of this is great, but sometimes I have to cut off, or stop completely, my workout because of my GERD. It really isn't even a pain thing, but if the contents of your stomach come up just a little, even if it's not acidic, it is very uncomfortable. I'm wondering if anyone else on here deals with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:55 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I take one Pantaprazole daily, never have a problem.

Water aerobics work well for us.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
I have GERD and I do experience reflux sometimes while exercising, especially when performing certain actions. Basically if I remain steady and upright, the GERD is unlikely to be a factor but the more bending, laying flat, and jostling I do the more likely I will experience some reflux. I suggest you figure out how the timing of your meals affects this. For example I do best eating several hours before a workout, so exercising on an empty stomach. But for me even just drinking water during the workout (which I must do) causes reflux. I have to remember every time I take a sip of water to wait a moment before continuing my workout. In general I have just experimented and figured out what works best for me. Good luck to you!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
wondering if a swallow of milk would be better? Theory being it would neutralize the acid. Anyone tried it?

Old 02-22-2015, 08:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
You may have a hiatal-hernia, you may have a weak lower-esophageal-sphincter:

Torax | Understanding GERD

Normally, the LES closes immediately after swallowing, preventing reflux. (Fig. 1) However, in people with GERD, the LES is weak, allowing acid and bile to reflux from the stomach into the esophagus. (Fig. 2)

Old 02-27-2015, 04:44 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
try eating smaller meals and drinking your food, meaning you chew each bite until it's basically liquid. It takes discipline but it's great because you can enjoy the same quantity of food and have the experience last twice or more as long.

Also try supplementing with extra glutamine and/or whey protein. Amino acid's are the body's building blocks and glutamine in particular helps with gastritis and stomach healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness