Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,299 times

Advertisements

At the gym I go to I think there are a total of 2 people that do deadlift including me the other guy is 65 years old. I have a bunch of people tell me they don't do deadlift either because it is bad for the back or they don't want to hurt their back. The guy that is 65 told me that he has been doing deadlift since he was 20 and his back never hurt and he uses 400-500 lbs I saw him do 505 for 2 reps. Is it because deadlift is harder than curls and most people want exercise to be easy? They also don't do squats because it will "hurt their knees" but they will use leg machines that tear up your knees. Deadlift and squat are a lot more exhausting than benchpress or curls. When I do deadlift I ususally go home after I get done and take a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,091,786 times
Squat and deadlift are my favorite workouts. You can't cheat on either of those exercises, you either do them correctly or not. Squats don't hurt your knees like most people would say. In fact, they make the joints stronger so you can do more weight. Of course, prior to all that you have to take bone/joint supplements to keep them stronger.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,832,742 times
Deadlifts are a staple of all of my weight workouts. I think the problem is that most people (especially the average CD member) are members of the big gyms (24hr Fitness, Ballys, LA Fitness, etc.) and these gyms for one, do not have qualified olympic lifting coaches/trainers to train the proper form of these lifts. It is VERY VERY easy to get injured trying to do deadlifts (most olympic lifts actually) without proper technique OR going light at first to learn the form. This is why machines are so common, they are easy to use for the noobs.

Hopefully, with more people here talking about deadlifts and such here, people will understand they are GREAT to have as part of their workout plan. Its the one exercise that pretty much works the ENTIRE BODY.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 AM

planet fitness is the worst one. Someone told me about how good it was so I went there to see about it they told me "powerlifters and bodybuilders are not welcome here so we can't sell you a membership" I am neither one.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 AM

7,063 posts, read 9,102,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
planet fitness is the worst one. Someone told me about how good it was so I went there to see about it they told me "powerlifters and bodybuilders are not welcome here so we can't sell you a membership" I am neither one.
Try the local community colleges. They often have a separate area for powerlifters in their gym. The last time I went to a gym was at Phoenix Community College. There was a section there where the serious lifters worked out regularly. The price was comparable to a commercial gym.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Try the local community colleges. They often have a separate area for powerlifters in their gym. The last time I went to a gym was at Phoenix Community College. There was a section there where the serious lifters worked out regularly. The price was comparable to a commercial gym.
why would i do that i am not a powerlifter or a bodybuilder and I don't want to be big. I only want to be about 230 and im 5-7 so that is fairly skinny compared to most men.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,971,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Deadlifts are a staple of all of my weight workouts. I think the problem is that most people (especially the average CD member) are members of the big gyms (24hr Fitness, Ballys, LA Fitness, etc.) and these gyms for one, do not have qualified olympic lifting coaches/trainers to train the proper form of these lifts. It is VERY VERY easy to get injured trying to do deadlifts (most olympic lifts actually) without proper technique OR going light at first to learn the form. This is why machines are so common, they are easy to use for the noobs.

Hopefully, with more people here talking about deadlifts and such here, people will understand they are GREAT to have as part of their workout plan. Its the one exercise that pretty much works the ENTIRE BODY.
Deadlifts are not Olympic lifts.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,832,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Deadlifts are not Olympic lifts.
Olympic lifts, power lifts, I think you and others get the idea.

Overhead squats, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, snatch, cleans, clean and jerk, etc. What I almost never do is bench press (powerlift).

Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,016,997 times
I do a version of a deadlift for my butt and my upper body. It works great.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,971,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I do a version of a deadlift for my butt and my upper body. It works great.
I'm sure it does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness