Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

My favorite way to test my strength and improvements is by doing pullups. I was only able to do a few last year meaning 3 reps, 2 sets. Now I can do 5 reps, 4 sets. If I go balls out, I can do 9 reps for 1 set. I can do these with the normal grip and I can do just about the same with my hands right next to each other. I want to be able to do at least 7 reps, 3 sets by the end of the summer. I have been dropping my body weight which has helped but any good excerises or weight training which focus on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
You can do negatives after you're tapped out with regular pullups. Get on a chair and just go for the ride down a few times.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Snort is dead on with the recommendation of doing the negatives. The thing about pullups is, the more you do them, the stronger you'll become thus being able to do MORE pullups.

I do three sets of 10 pullups as part of my normal warmup routine. One of the workout routines I do calls for three sets of 21-15-9 rep pullups.

I recommend doing as many as you can each day for three days, then take a day off. But, after you do your max reps of pullups, you should then go and do the negative. Try to do twice as many on the negative as you do on the normal pullup. This way, you may be able to increase your rep max by one pullup per week. You can also try weighted negative pullups. Get a weight belt and attach a plate to a chain or grab/hold a dumbbell between your fee or thighs and do the negative.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:18 AM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
do them weighted. I swear doing weighted pullups has helped the amount of pullups i can do A LOT. I recommend weighted pullups to anyone who has really hit a plateau on pullups and can do 8+. You can also do a ton of sets for less reps.

Maybe something like 10x3, and keep progressing with triples. Then, move up to sets of 4 and see how many u can do, etc etc.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
For you advanced pull-upers if there is such a word...check this out....lol

YouTube - How To: Fun Pull-Up Variations

Old 05-01-2010, 11:00 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
And for you SUPER ADVANCED OTHERWORLDLY STRONG ADVANCED pull-upers, check THIS out:

YouTube - Bartendaz on Sub0 DVD

Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
LOL..woah...That is a lot of body weight to be flipping around like its nothing. Thats crazy!

I am going to second the negative pull up. I did not know it was called that. But that method seems to help me when I am too weak to do a lot of reps to get to the next level. (with pull ups, sit ups, pushups etc, anything strength improves for me with the hold when I can't do reps)

Perfecting the Pull-up - Military Fitness - Military.com

I also skipped buying a door bar and use my fingertips on the door frame. Its helped my forearms look better and I feel stronger through the whole arm up into the back. More than just grabbing a bar.
I feel like I have to use more of my body with a overhand fingertip pull up.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:38 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
If you can do 9 BW pullups, you don't need to work on negatives. I think negatives are a great idea for someone who can't do any pullups, but for you weighted pullups are the way to go hands down.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM

739 posts, read 2,262,317 times
pullups are easy

Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
For a really simple pull-up kit to bring with you while you're traveling, you can make your own set of these for a few bucks:

http://www.thestrengthcompany.co.uk/images/LgProd/Power-Chin-upTSC09.jpg (broken link)

Just go to Home Depot and pick up 8 ready-made pvc white plastic tubes that are about 3 inches long, 4 connector pieces that fit inside these (joining the two pieces with the connectors will give a wide enough handle) and a set of 'extra straps' with the plastic buckles that you can buy at Walmart in the camping aisle.
The straps go inside the 'handles' and a handle goes on either side of securely closed door. That's all there is to it.
I tie a sock to the side of each strap and that protects your hand against the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness