Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff822 View Post
Been lifting/training for nearly 10 years now, and I was a huge proponent of all things supplements in the beginning. Currently lifting heavy and watching the diet very closely. I stopped all supplements, including protein powder/shakes, probably for good. I just do not think they are worth the money. I would rather buy and eat fresh fruits and vegetables, rather than drink all those shakes. I seem to have maintained muscle mass, as well decrease bodyfat, so I am pretty sure my body does require any extra. That being said, every body is different, and it has been trial and error process. Good Luck!
The problem with supplements is the industry is not regulated. Consumers have no way of knowing if the products they use contain the ingredients the makers claim. Years ago, I took "Ultimate Orange" for a month and felt pain in my chest a couple of times. I stopped using it after that. Later, reports of deaths associated with using this product surfaced and it was banned.

That's just one of the many products that were banned only after users died. Products that harm users slowly overtime don't get reported and don't get banned. What do we know about them? I saw a program on TV about how counterfeit pills are made in third word countries. They mixed stuff together by hands and used paint to add color to the pills. Who knows if the supplements you take weren't made in the same factories of these third world countries and brought back to the US, packaged and labeled "Made in the US"

These days, I only take a few USP certified products I think might be lacking in my diet, as an insurance.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-09-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
[b]I mostly take MuscleTech Cell Tech and NitroTech to help me build size and strength, of course muscle mass and decrease bodyfat. As for energy and stamina, I take Stacker 2 5 hour energy boost just for working out and it definitely works Cell Tech and Nitro Tech WORK. You'll see sizable gains from week 2 week so that's why from time to time I get free MuscleTech products.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I take these from GNC:

GNC Women's Ultra Mega® Active Vitapak - VALUE SIZE - GNC - GNC

Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
GNC Mega Men Sport multi vitamins
So these really work? I've been thinking of taking vitamins but wasn't really sure if they are really worth it.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
[b]I mostly take MuscleTech Cell Tech and NitroTech to help me build size and strength, of course muscle mass and decrease bodyfat. As for energy and stamina, I take Stacker 2 5 hour energy boost just for working out and it definitely works Cell Tech and Nitro Tech WORK. You'll see sizable gains from week 2 week so that's why from time to time I get free MuscleTech products.
They don't work better than any other product with comparable composition and they're extremely overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So these really work? I've been thinking of taking vitamins but wasn't really sure if they are really worth it.
They're alright, but expensive. Optimum Nutrition's multivitamin is just as good and cheaper.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Okay folks, Ive completed my six months of not taking any supplements of any kind and will now jump back on taking multi vitamins, protein shakes, etc. but wanted to know what type you all take to fuel you for your workouts?

Ive been 100% relying on my nutrition the past months to fuel me, because I know how hard some vitamins/supplements can be on the kidneys and liver, so I like to give my organs a break every now and then.

What I normally take is:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein
MuscleTech Cell Tech Whey - I know its expensive but its the best Creatine Ive ever used.
MuscleTech Nitro Tech - Hardcore
Udos Choice Oil - not really a supplement, just essential fatty omega3 oils
Herbalife "Lift Off" for energy boost

That really is about all I ever take. Any recommendations from you folks on other products? I have been really set in my ways of taking these products but probably because they work so well for me.

Lao,

I'm curious, do you feel any difference in your energy level or healing without the supplements for those six months?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Okay folks, Ive completed my six months of not taking any supplements of any kind and will now jump back on taking multi vitamins, protein shakes, etc. but wanted to know what type you all take to fuel you for your workouts?

Ive been 100% relying on my nutrition the past months to fuel me, because I know how hard some vitamins/supplements can be on the kidneys and liver, so I like to give my organs a break every now and then.

What I normally take is:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein
MuscleTech Cell Tech Whey - I know its expensive but its the best Creatine Ive ever used.
MuscleTech Nitro Tech - Hardcore
Udos Choice Oil - not really a supplement, just essential fatty omega3 oils
Herbalife "Lift Off" for energy boost

That really is about all I ever take. Any recommendations from you folks on other products? I have been really set in my ways of taking these products but probably because they work so well for me.
I'm not a big fan of supplements besides whey and creatine (for me), but i see the use in them and why people use them. You know yourself well, and i don't really see anything wrong with what you're taking. If I had to pick a few to get rid of they would be the Herbalife, and muscletech cell tech whey.. What are your goals and what is your routine? Judging by your choice of supplements i would guess that you want to bulk up.

If you don't mind, i actually have a ? for you.. I just started my first cycle of creatine and i have seen some pretty good results. The GNC near me has been closed for the past few weeks (idk why), so i got the "careone" brand at stop and shop. When it opens again, do you have any advice on which type of creatine to get? Thanks

Also, as a side note i want to just tell people reading this that supplements cannot compensate for a bad diet. Supplements are meant to supplement your diet and enhance your performance/results.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM

I say it's placebo. Guy takes whey while working out. Gains some muscle and thinks it's the whey. Is it the whey or the working out? Try this experiment:

1. Work out without any supplements for 3 months.

2. Take supplements without working out for 3 months.

Of course, the first option would produce result while the second option does absolutely nothing.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:14 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I say it's placebo. Guy takes whey while working out. Gains some muscle and thinks it's the whey. Is it the whey or the working out? Try this experiment:

1. Work out without any supplements for 3 months.

2. Take supplements without working out for 3 months.

Of course, the first option would produce result while the second option does absolutely nothing.
Whey alone won't give you incredible gains; anyone who thinks that couldn't be more wrong. Whey is optimal to have with a post workout shake because it digests rapidly. Creatine helps you to gain weight and get stronger- no way in hell this is a placebo as tons of tests have proven time and time again that creatine is legitimate.

Why do you say the second option does absolutely nothing? I think some supplements do crap for you and that is definitely a placebo, but would some of the most renowned weightlifters take supplements if they were only a placebo? Did the fitness industry just pull one over on all of the BBers and PLers out there?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
Whey alone won't give you incredible gains; anyone who thinks that couldn't be more wrong. Whey is optimal to have with a post workout shake because it digests rapidly. Creatine helps you to gain weight and get stronger- no way in hell this is a placebo as tons of tests have proven time and time again that creatine is legitimate.

Why do you say the second option does absolutely nothing? I think some supplements do crap for you and that is definitely a placebo, but would some of the most renowned weightlifters take supplements if they were only a placebo? Did the fitness industry just pull one over on all of the BBers and PLers out there?
The point I am making is if you work out without taking any supplements, you will see results. If you take supplements without working out, you won't see any result. I don't know about you, but I would take working out over supplements any day of the week.

A lot of body builders and weightlifters do supplement commercials for a living. Open any body building magazine and you see page after page of body builders and weightlifters selling ads. What they don't tell you is steroids make those bodies possible, not the supplements they are selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness