Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old guy, always been into lifting but stopped for quite a while. I weigh 165 and on my bench i rep 205.

I was watching an infomercial of the P90x workout, and thought I'd give it a shot.

So far I did day 1 and my entire back is shot. I will stick with doing bench press and flys but this seems like a good workout scheme, I think if you stick with this you could really get some good results.

Has anybody else tried this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
There are a few threads on this here. Its a great program if you follow it.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Oops sorry, I was just really impressed so I thought I'd give my opinion and thought it might be helpful to someone.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 AM

7,177 posts, read 9,225,978 times
If the first couple of days is causing back problems, then maybe you need to work on your "core" muscles. I think they have a Pre P90x program to prepare you for the P90x. It looks like a good alternate exercise program to me. Not something to totally replace a "normal" fitness routine, but something to work on when you're getting in a rut. Just a thought.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,895 times
I did it for about 50 days - and I really don't think I was doing it right. I didn't see any results and my arms were like bones and I was mad. I struggle to even pour a gallon of milk onto cereal so I wanted to get toned.

I felt flabby around my midsection before I started, and less after I did P90X. If I follow it exactly right, I am sure there would have been better results. I guess I 'cheated' on the diet a little. If you stick with it, it'll pay off in the end.

One thing I didn't like about it was that you are tied to your TV for an hour. I like to go outside running for as much time as I want, or take a long walk etc. But I didn't like how I had to stand in front of the television so long. Haha, I probably make no sense. I might try it again in a few weeks.

Good luck

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm a 22 year old guy, always been into lifting but stopped for quite a while. I weigh 165 and on my bench i rep 205.

I was watching an infomercial of the P90x workout, and thought I'd give it a shot.

So far I did day 1 and my entire back is shot. I will stick with doing bench press and flys but this seems like a good workout scheme, I think if you stick with this you could really get some good results.

Has anybody else tried this?
I've been doing it for a month and a half, and have gotten great results. I was in good shape to begin with, but wanted something to guide me through workouts with some flexibility and variety, in addition to being able to see people actually doing the workouts so I know I'm doing it right. It's convenient.

If you are hurting after the workouts, there is something wrong. You might be sore, but you shouldn't be out of commission. You might want to modify the workout or cut it short, and get into it gradually.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM

42 posts, read 182,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
If the first couple of days is causing back problems, then maybe you need to work on your "core" muscles. I think they have a Pre P90x program to prepare you for the P90x. It looks like a good alternate exercise program to me. Not something to totally replace a "normal" fitness routine, but something to work on when you're getting in a rut. Just a thought.
you are correct. I have went through P90X twice so far...and prior to my first time, I did the P90 and the P90 Master Series (completely diff than P90X) which helped me be prepared for X

Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I've been doing it for a month and a half, and have gotten great results. I was in good shape to begin with, but wanted something to guide me through workouts with some flexibility and variety, in addition to being able to see people actually doing the workouts so I know I'm doing it right. It's convenient.

If you are hurting after the workouts, there is something wrong. You might be sore, but you shouldn't be out of commission. You might want to modify the workout or cut it short, and get into it gradually.
I do it for the same reasons, I have always lifted weights but I thought I'd try something new out and try a new routine. I don't really see how you couldn't get results from it, I mean these lifts are really good and they burn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with how I'm doing it.. I just feel like I have a really good workout.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I did it for about 50 days - and I really don't think I was doing it right. I didn't see any results and my arms were like bones and I was mad. I struggle to even pour a gallon of milk onto cereal so I wanted to get toned.

I felt flabby around my midsection before I started, and less after I did P90X. If I follow it exactly right, I am sure there would have been better results. I guess I 'cheated' on the diet a little. If you stick with it, it'll pay off in the end.

One thing I didn't like about it was that you are tied to your TV for an hour. I like to go outside running for as much time as I want, or take a long walk etc. But I didn't like how I had to stand in front of the television so long. Haha, I probably make no sense. I might try it again in a few weeks.

Good luck
It just sounds like you have to follow it better, or follow ANY routine. You can't half-ass anything and expect results. Also, stop making excuses , that's one of the best ways to not see results. "I don't like to stand in front of the TV" "I like to go on long walks." -Just do what you gotta do to get to where you want to be. It is always the out of shape people with the most excuses.

Think about it

Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It just sounds like you have to follow it better, or follow ANY routine. You can't half-ass anything and expect results. Also, stop making excuses , that's one of the best ways to not see results. "I don't like to stand in front of the TV" "I like to go on long walks." -Just do what you gotta do to get to where you want to be. It is always the out of shape people with the most excuses.

Think about it
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. I DON'T half-ass anything anymore. I'd rather go for a long walk or spend a few hours at the gym than stare more at the TV, after I've been staring at my computer screen all day.

I work out every day of the week...so I am not sure where my excuses are coming from. I never watch TV when I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness