Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Why? Because you have studied what it is in detail or because you just parrot articles from msn? Or the western way of health that profits from your death?

It always gets a bunch of crap. It is stupid if you don't do it right. But its pretty obvious just by the replies on this thread that people don't understand what they are talking about. The opinions are just reflections of lack of information.

ie:
- you don't ever exercise and fast
- you don't have to juice with fruit
- you don't juice with bottled juice or non-organic ever
- not all fruits have a lot of sugar
- fruits do not spike your blood sugar (fiber or not) like white sugar
- you don't drop your calories to an extremely low level
- you won't have real detox on 24 hours
- you wont have danger in 24 hours unless diabetic/med issue
- you don't drink all your juice at once, so the sugar from fruit is not overloading your system (it can take up to about 400 cals every 3-4 hours)
- you don't weight train and juice
- you don't load on protein and then juice
- there is protein in fruits and veggies
- a real detox can actually help you put on lean mass because it can be a mega flush of thyroid toxins and heavy metals. Thyroid issues = holding onto fat and heavy metal issues affect muscle tissue development and healing.

And FYI western health HATES juicing and fasting. It can render them useless. Look into the Gerson Therapy and the documentary "A Beautiful Truth."

I used to be like you until I had the balls to try it out instead of just dismiss it. Fasting and juicing work when done properly.
I don't have the "balls" to juice? Give me a break. Juice fasting is stupid and useless. Most of your bullet points are silly.

Sometimes you have the accept that the majority is right, and you are wrong.

ETA: I just spent the last 10 minutes googling "Gerson Therapy." Granted I've only given it a cursory glance, but it looks absolutely ridiculous.
ETA again: According to Gerson Therapy, one should do coffee enemas and eat raw liver. Come on, are you seriously trying to tell us on this? Coffee enemas? Really?

Last edited by OngletNYC; 05-20-2010 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Because it's a load of bull**** pedaled by a bunch of snake oil salesmen. Seriously, when Kevin Trudeau is out pushing these methods, that's a pretty big clue that you're being sold a bill of goods.

Our bodies are not made to fast and one of the biggest reasons for these fasts (detox) is retarded because our bodies do an excellent job of detox on their own.

Just like these HGC diets, it's a solution in search of a problem.
Although I agree with you that these fad diets/fasts are mostly fluff/BS, I do have to correct you on one point: the human body IS has evolved to fast, in a matter of speaking.

Human evolved in an environment where food was not always plentiful. As such, we have evolved to survive long periods without food, and to store nutrients when that meal finally came around again. Consider that the average-weight human carries with them 20,000-30,000 calories worth of fat reserves around at any one time. This reserve, along with the ability for our bodies to slow its own metabolism , allow us to survive at least 2-3 weeks without eating. Pretty impressive.

You are also correct that we have also evolved very effective ways to remove toxins from our body. This also have because of the environment in which humans evolved. Those infrequent meals our early ancestors had available weren't of the best quality....plants that produced poisons/toxins, decomposing flesh, partially fermented organic matter....it was all considered food by early man. We needed ways to process that food without killing or poisoining ourselves.

Back on topic.....these fast/starvation diets probably aren't going to affect our health significantly as man evolved to survive periods of starvation, but they also aren't that effective either, as we already have mechanisms to detox ourselves.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,272 times
Reading this thread, I find it to be very interesting.

I have fasted on a few times over the years. My intake typically consisted of water the first 24 hours and progressed to vegetable juice the next 24 hours. During those days I did do any exercising or participated in any strenuous activities. Typically after a 36-48 hours fast, I feel so much better (more alert, less fatigue, etc...). My purpose of completing the fasts where of a personal nature and not geared towards weight loss.

Anyhow, what the OP is proposing doesn't really make sense and I am not sure if I would classify consuming lots of liquefied fruit as fasting. Perhaps, the OP might consider doing a weekly vegetarian day consuming vegetables (and nuts) in their whole form (raw) or liquefied form, essentially reducing/eliminating sugars/carbs on that day.

That said, no one should pursue a true fast without research and consulting a professional. I would agree that unhealthy methods of fasting are dangerous; however, how most American's eat and live is dangerous.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I don't have the "balls" to juice? Give me a break. Juice fasting is stupid and useless. Most of your bullet points are silly.

Sometimes you have the accept that the majority is right, and you are wrong.

ETA: I just spent the last 10 minutes googling "Gerson Therapy." Granted I've only given it a cursory glance, but it looks absolutely ridiculous.
ETA again: According to Gerson Therapy, one should do coffee enemas and eat raw liver. Come on, are you seriously trying to tell us on this? Coffee enemas? Really?
Really? Because it cured cancer and other ailments for people who were deemed the walking dead by your trusted medical establishment. And they do not use raw liver anymore. My bullet points are facts. I don't know why you would think facts are silly. People are arguing that those points, saying stuff which could be issue if you think on the surface but not detail. Like the loaded with sugar comments. Or that you would overload your system or exercise etc. You can't glaze over medical and health care related information. It is an interwoven subject that requires layering of information and cognitive thought and understanding. I don't know why you would think that exposing yourself to radiation that makes you die is any more sane than a coffee enema and drinking some juice? Do you understand about prions and viral being sensitive to Ph? Do you understand about the vessel walls in the lower colon tending to absorb toxins when bowels are slow? Do you understand that in an estrogenic toxic environment that all bowels are naturally slower?(it is an issue) Do you know that all chemicals have a half life and reside in the body for x amt of time with the constant state of body that can be changed through fasting?(speeds dumping)

You are not "right" and you have not done the real research or experimenting. You have a right to an opinion. But with all things medical and science anyone who is actually educated in that area knows that everything is best guess and up for debate. Juicing did work for me. I think its one of the best things I have ever done. I do think that most people on sites for juicing are full of it, undereducated and lie about extents of fasts.

Yeh, you don't have the balls. Not many people do have the set to take an action upon themselves to challenge what they assume is right. I used to think just like you until I experienced the difference. That no cut waist issue you have may improve if you did a 3 juice or raw diet cleanse.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Really? Because it cured cancer and other ailments for people who were deemed the walking dead by your trusted medical establishment. And they do not use raw liver anymore. My bullet points are facts. I don't know why you would think facts are silly. People are arguing that those points, saying stuff which could be issue if you think on the surface but not detail. Like the loaded with sugar comments. Or that you would overload your system or exercise etc. You can't glaze over medical and health care related information. It is an interwoven subject that requires layering of information and cognitive thought and understanding. I don't know why you would think that exposing yourself to radiation that makes you die is any more sane than a coffee enema and drinking some juice? Do you understand about prions and viral being sensitive to Ph? Do you understand about the vessel walls in the lower colon tending to absorb toxins when bowels are slow? Do you understand that in an estrogenic toxic environment that all bowels are naturally slower?(it is an issue) Do you know that all chemicals have a half life and reside in the body for x amt of time with the constant state of body that can be changed through fasting?(speeds dumping)

You are not "right" and you have not done the real research or experimenting. You have a right to an opinion. But with all things medical and science anyone who is actually educated in that area knows that everything is best guess and up for debate. Juicing did work for me. I think its one of the best things I have ever done. I do think that most people on sites for juicing are full of it, undereducated and lie about extents of fasts.

Yeh, you don't have the balls. Not many people do have the set to take an action upon themselves to challenge what they assume is right. I used to think just like you until I experienced the difference. That no cut waist issue you have may improve if you did a 3 juice or raw diet cleanse.
Your facts are indeed silly. For instance, in one of your bulleted points you compare fruit juice to white sugar... well most people on this board who are serious about health don't eat white sugar at all. Saying fruit juice is better than white sugar is like saying snorting cocaine is better than smoking crack. Useless if you don't want to consume cocaine. I don't do coke and I don't do sugar. If one wants to get serious about weight loss, one must break the sugar addiction. Slurping fructose while lying on the sofa isn't doing it.

Now you are babbling about comparing radiation as opposed to squirting coffee up my ass... how about if I don't participate in either? Coffee in my ass = stupidity. Coffee in my ass is ok because radiation is bad too, if not worse? How can you advocate something so stupid with a straight face?

Look some people fast for spiritual reasons. I don't understand that, but I don't argue against it either. One's personal spirituality isn't up to me to argue against. But juice fasting for weight loss is indeed VERY stupid. And there is nothing you have babbled about here that shows any evidence to the contrary.

And ETA: you still are struggling with lower body fat for a reason: You are listening to bogus bu!!sh!!t!

Last edited by OngletNYC; 05-20-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
I went on a one day juice fast last week. It was fine. I probably got about 1,000 calories that day. Then, I started up a lower calorie, low fat, high quality food diet: lots of fruits and veggies, and modest grains and a bit of white meat chicken.

So this is my "plan":

6 days a week of low calorie eating: 1500 to 2000 calories a day. Trust me, this is low calorie eating by my previous standards. I will be sure to get adequate protein: a minimum of 50 g, and up to 80 g of protein a day.

1 day of juice fasting: probably 800-1200 calories a day of fruit juices of various kinds.

I will be doing some light aerobic exercising, such as walking, or light exercise bike riding 6 days a week. Plus, resistance training a couple of times a week.

Do you think this is safe for my body?

I will DEFINITELY avoid exercising or anything besides light physical activity on my juice fast day. Mostly, I will be staying home reading or watching movies, and maybe taking care of a few chores: grocery shopping, laundry, etc.
Do whatever works for u and givesu results. Some people get way to caught up in a book they read. Liquid fasting if nothing else will get all of the solidas out of ur body and give u a fresh start for the week. I do it everytime I start to diet. As far as the calorie intake, im not sure of ur height , weight, or even gender

Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Final point: nutritional science is a new field. Nobody, yes NOBODY truly and fully understands what a given nutrient does to the body. We have ideas but we don't know. That's western science, eastern science, it's all a mystery still. I recently read that someone I respect (michael Pollan??) compared nutritional sciences to medical sciences in the 16th century. That's how advanced we are.

But we DO know that people have traditionally consumed certain things for thousands of years and as a result have not suffered the "new" illnesses we have in our western diet. That's the food we should be eating. They don't eat "soy protein isolate" and neither do I. They don't eat "white sugar' and neither do I. They don't squirt coffee up their ass and neither do I. They don't have a $100+ juicer and instead eat whole fruit and so do I.

That's how I eat, that has served me well. My health is excellent, I have never been fat, and were I violent person I could physically kick the asses of 80%+ of my peers. Just because a New Age magazine says I should be anti-establishment by shoving that Starbucks espresso up my ass doesn't mean I am going to believe it. New Age nutrition is mostly bullshit and so is western nutrition. Just because you have been duped by one doesn't mean that those who oppose you have been duped by the other. Some of us just follow common sense.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Well actually you would not use starbucks espresso. Its not organic. And the enema part is for the Gerson therapy, not all juice fasts. You usually have to have enemas with traditional cancer treatment when the morphine makes it impossible to go. Or you can dig it out manually. It would be nice if you never had to deal with either but not everyone can pick if they get cancer or not. You have cancer and those are you two options presented before you...I don't see how traditional chemo seems less crazy. The both try to meet the objective to make the host of the cancer an unsurvivable environment. That can be done with Gerson or radiation. Both have risks and side effects.

Lifestyle shows up after 50 and you are not eating the things you have eaten for 1000's of years. Due to lack of crop rotation, overgrowing and genetic modification your tradition food items tend to be higher sugar and lower in nutrients. You don't need to be fat to be unhealthy. Poor health shows up a lot of other ways. Like behavioral issues.
Toxicity, Heavy Metals: eMedicine Emergency Medicine
"Metals have been used as instruments of murder. Arsenic is perhaps more rightly classified as a metalloid, but it is consistently the single substance most commonly thought of as a poison. Metals have also been used in warfare as chemical weapons. Again, arsenic was the primary component of the spray known as Lewisite that was used by the British during trench warfare in World War I. Exposure produced severe edema of the eyelids, gastrointestinal irritation, and both central and peripheral neuropathies. "

Some warfare facts for you: That stuff btw is in treated deck wood etc.

Do you understand that your body has to turn whatever you eat into sugar before it can use it? Its why sugar can cause fast gains. What you don't use goes immediately to storage. But if you are drinking the proper portions it won't stay in there if it even goes at all. You are meant to sip when juicing. Not slurp it down. Fruit sugars are totally different than white sugar and people were talking about bottled juices having added sugar. Its another part of why it was brought up. Fruit sugars also carry loads of nutrients with them. But if you don't want that sugar you can use veggie juice.

Yeh you don't need 100$ juicer. You can raw food detox instead if you like that. But there are other benefits too of a full fast without fiber. I personally do not think those are safe for home use beyond 24-48 hours.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM

OK, I should squirt organic coffee up my ass, not Starbucks. Now it all makes sense to me. /sarcasm.

As for the rest, don't be stupid, don't challenge me on what I consume. My regime is definitely cleaner than you think, and probably cleaner than yours. Regardless, you don't know anything about it, so don't speculate.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Then don't challenge ME on what I consume and speculate. You have no higher right to that my dear. Do it again and I am coming after you with a non-organic coffee enema! LOL

I have to say my diet is probably has been a lot cleaner than yours. I am guessing you eat meat and never been vegan.
I vary what I eat and don't have to workout like crazy or even at all if I don't want to in order to keep my weight in control. Can you say the same?

Also its not that "naturally thin" thing either. I have been fat and changed it. So its not like its impossible for me to gain.

Which brings me to the point...I remember how easy it was to put on pounds pre-detox. If you want to read about that you can read about detox and thyroid pollution from traditional pesticide use. It is accepted as an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness