Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM

29 posts, read 42,423 times

Advertisements

HI FOLKs! Has anybody here had success reading/listening to audiobooks while running on a treadmill or elliptical machine exercising? I've let myself go the past three years..gotten married ,had a kid, work obligations etc. Im the type of person that likes to get the most out of my time. Would it be possible for me to maintain a nice concentration while running on a treadmill to the point of being able to absorb the reading materials properly, while at the same time being able to maintain a high workout intensity or am I Being crazy? I OCCASSIONALLy see people reading while exercising on treadmills but it seems that they go at a slower rate! any input would be greatly appreciated, IM TRYING TO develop a workout timeline and regiment for my busy schedule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/12637531-post4.html

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I'm a graduate student so I have to make the most of my time also. At my old gym I always read on the elliptical, but it was useless because I retained no information. Bouncing around and trying to focus on tiny words in a 600 page book didn't do much for me. It was just not possible for me to read and work at the same time while trying not to lose balance, etc. I usually ended up migrating to the bikes and it was easier to read while I sat. I never feel like bikes do much for me though.

I thinks audio books are a great idea though. No reason you can't listen and still workout just as hard.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I would think the audio books would be more practical than trying to read a book. I'm the type of person who can't even wear headphones or earplugs while working out because I'm going at it with a lot of intensity, and the plugs either fall out, or I get tangled in the wires.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I can read on a bike or the treadmill, but not the elliptical. Bouncing while trying to read makes me dizzy.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
I just recently joined a gym and started an exercise program after several years of not so much inactivity but no intense workouts and read on the elliptical nearly every day. It's not the easiest thing to do- between the movement and the breeze (gym is an old fire station with huge doors that are always open) - but I am sweating and at an acceptable level of intensity. As I get fitter and need to increase the intensity even more I will likely stick to listening to PBS or some blogs that interest me on the ipod but when starting out it has been helpful in keeping me on the machine for 30-40 minutes of continuous cardio. I re-read Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" since it was a collection of shorter elements that could be digested in a few minutes- and learned a bit about the world and universe while getting fit.

Sometimes you just need a little bit of help or distraction to get you and keep you exercising so I would try it out if it gets you to the gym and on the machine, just make sure you don't slow down because of it.

Good Luck.
Hey, I'm in my late 40s and I've lost almost 20 lbs in two months (diet and lots of lifting involved there too)

Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
If you can read on the bike, treadmill and elliptical -- you aren't getting enough of a workout.

Audio should be fine, tho.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM

90 posts, read 123,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
If you can read on the bike, treadmill and elliptical -- you aren't getting enough of a workout.

Audio should be fine, tho.
exactly what i was going to say.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1427 View Post
exactly what i was going to say.
Big daddy my rule of thumb for cardio. If, I can talk while working -- I need to step it up.

I see those people bent over the machines. Slowing pedaling. Slow walking. Reading or chatting.

Hey buddy, what are you doing?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

At least they're not sitting on the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness