Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2007, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Reputation: 784

Advertisements

I don't like gyms. I don't like running on a treadmill to stay in shape. I don't like lifting heavy objects repetitively to work on my muscles (though I've been doing this at home with my own dumbells). I find it to be a chore.

The exercise I enjoy the most is when I'm doing something FUN and at the same time strenuous and really works your heart. Like surfing in large waves, playing volleyball, tennis, rock climbing, hiking, biking, or even just doing pushups and bicycle crunches during commercials during my favorite TV shows.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM
 
Location: ARK-KIN-SAW
3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Reputation: 1596
yea def!! to all of the above listed workouts, I like to be OUT doing stuff, not stuck in a gym or on a treadmill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Reputation: 1868
Yep. I think you'll find most people feel the same way. I go to the gym to stay in shape but I absolutely hate it and every single second can't wait to be done and go home. I would love to find an activity that would give me the same results but that I actually enjoyed doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Camano Island, WA
1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Yep. I think you'll find most people feel the same way. I go to the gym to stay in shape but I absolutely hate it and every single second can't wait to be done and go home. I would love to find an activity that would give me the same results but that I actually enjoyed doing.

Yep...same reasons why I will not get a membership again. Or use my equipment at my house. I'd rather be outside.

I think that's the key...to find something you enjoy doing that has cardio benefits.
I love hiking/backpacking, cycling outdoors, golf...you gotta do a lot of walking and the key is it's fun and I'm outside.
Also I love softball and volleyball...both excellent workouts and a good place to meet people.
I also have an ATV...believe it or not the more technical a trail is makes for a good workout too.
Horseback riding is another fun thing to do...good for the legs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Horseback riding is another fun thing to do...good for the legs...
hmm. yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Dayton OH
5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Reputation: 13565
DCN, I pretty much agree. I am not a gym person either. I don't like my sports activities to be "exercise", which I equate with a dreaded chore. To me it's recreation or transportation. Bike commute to work, walk to the store, jog on the beach, hike in the hills or mountains, that's fun in my book not "exercise". I can bike ride for hours or jog for miles and miles, and I'm oblivious to time. In a gym if I ever tried to jog on a treadmill, I'd be thinking "are we done yet" and counting the minutes to get out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Reputation: 13472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I don't like gyms. I don't like running on a treadmill to stay in shape. I don't like lifting heavy objects repetitively to work on my muscles (though I've been doing this at home with my own dumbells). I find it to be a chore.

The exercise I enjoy the most is when I'm doing something FUN and at the same time strenuous and really works your heart. Like surfing in large waves, playing volleyball, tennis, rock climbing, hiking, biking, or even just doing pushups and bicycle crunches during commercials during my favorite TV shows.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Yes, I think we all feel that way at times. That's why it's so important to vary your exercise routine every day. I dance, so I may be prejudiced toward dance but you might want to take a dance class. A lot of gyms now offer salsa as cardio. This is a great way to get your cardio without it being boring. You meet people and learn a valuable skill at the same time as getting your exercise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Reputation: 943
Sigh. Yes, definitely. I like being outside so walking, hiking, bicycling on the bike trail is pure enjoyment. Hardest part is getting out the door. When I go, I want to stay out all day. Never understood why people go on a treadmill in the gym when it is beautiful outside. I only manage to control my weight when I can get outside to exercise or go couple dancing (not rock n roll.) When I lived in town, I'd walk places instead of drive. Doing errands gave me motivation. Moved to the country with no sidewalks and no place to walk to do errands and I've gained weight again. Tried joining the gym--hate it. My car is trained to go home after school/work and it refused to stop there. It is creepy--all those people not looking at each other or talking. I'm not much for large groups of people. I lifted weights when I worked at a place that had their own gym and not so many people using it and had a personal trainer to help--I liked that. I've got a friend whose condo has a weight room so we might start doing it together. I find having a friend to exercise with really helps make it more fun and then the time flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 02:38 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Reputation: 27689
Where I live the weather is too horrid to even consider outside for a good part of the year. But I agree, outside is more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes, I think we all feel that way at times. That's why it's so important to vary your exercise routine every day. I dance, so I may be prejudiced toward dance but you might want to take a dance class. A lot of gyms now offer salsa as cardio. This is a great way to get your cardio without it being boring. You meet people and learn a valuable skill at the same time as getting your exercise!
salsa class geared towards a cardio workout sounds really interesting, I'd like to try it. I know a some of it, but never really done it as a cardio workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top