Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,450 times

Advertisements

I've been using the same weight set since age 22 doing basically the same routines with muscle soreness becoming increasingly more an issue especially over the past several years and now at age 44 it's starting to frustrate my attempts to stay in good shape. It especially affects my shoulders and that's what is particuarly frustrating me. I always warm up and cool down like I've been doing all along and was using ibuprofen for awhile but then heard that repeated use of it actually makes the body dependent on it and when stopping use makes soreness more of a problem so stopped taken that. The soreness is not bothersome in day to day life but prevents and delays work-outs frome every other day to every 4th or 5th day now. Are there any good products like Heet to rub on the shoulders that might help because was a little concerned that everday use of stuff like that or Aspercreme might not be recomended because like mentioned it's not pain or severe soreness and just the type that frustrates and delays upper body work-outs. Btw I'm a male and workout style is with free weights and would be consdered moderate in weight with no power lifting or over doing it and shoulder soreness has been gradually becoming an issue past age 38 so I do attribute it to getting older but could use some input from others, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
First, I recommend you see a doctor or a chiropractor to have things checked out. There could many things that cause pain and soreness. You have been working out since the age of 22. Your body is used to the stress of working out. So a little soreness here and there is normal. Consistent pain and soreness are not.

Some information about you such as your diet, height, weight, body structure, etc. would be helpful.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
I'll second everything DavidT said. Some other info that would help identify possible causes of this would be what your workout is. You say you've been doing basically the same workout for over twenty years. One possibility that occurs to me is that this could be causing overuse injuries from repeating the same movements that use the same muscles, possibly without attaining the good muscle balance that would result from a variety of exercises. In short, you may need to mix up your routine.

But I would also emphasize that David T is right on with the advice to check with a doctor. That is the first order of business, although suggestions you get here may give you some questions you could raise in discussing this with the doctor.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Like you Tripod, I've been doing the same basic weightlifting routine for an extended period of time. In my case, I've been doing basically the same routine since I was 19, and I am now 58.

Your joints will ache more as you age, it is inevitable. It comes with the deterioration of aging. Generally, if a doctor doesn't find any significant damage, such as a tear in a rotator cuff, you just need to make some changes to accommodate aging. Some examples are to alter the weight you lift once in awhile, and take more time between lifts.

As an example, my typical bench press set is 15 reps of 140 lbs, 160 lbs and 180 lbs, with a 90 second rest between sets. About once every couple of weeks, I'll alter this to be the first set of 20 reps using 120 lbs, second set of 20 reps at 130 lbs, and the last set 10 reps at 190 lbs. I also take 120 seconds between sets.

I've found making this change once in awhile has really lessened the aches I had been experiencing lifting.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM

199 posts, read 591,561 times
One option is just to get some rest. Take one or two weeks off and let the pain subside.

Also, I've found that a lower calorie, low fat, organics based eating regimen is getting rid of a lot of the issues I've had with my joints.

Third, a regular regimen of ice on the more problematic joints has helped tremendously. (15-20 min).

Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Your body is not going to become dependent on Ibuprofen. That's just another myth that has made it's way around the internet. That said, if you're really worried about it you can cycle between that and another NSAID, Naproxen (Aleve). Do 2-4 weeks on one and then switch to the other.

Are you only dosing as needed? If so you should start taking them everyday to keep inflammation from starting. I have a friend who is a power lifter about your age and his doctor had him start taking ibuprofen everyday and it helped ease alot of his soreness. Consider this to be preventative maintenance.

Anyways, my first step would be to visit the doctor and get checked out. If you don't have any injuries causing this problem, I'd run down this check list.

1) Form: Are you using good form?

2) Nutrition: Are you taking any good of a protein shake/supplement? If not, start. The protein, BCAA's and Glutamine contained in any decent whey protein shake would go along way towards relieving this and other problems. I personally recommend EAS 100% whey protein. $30 for a 5lb bag at your local Sam's Club.

3) Stretching: Do some good stretches pre and post workout at minimum, but optimally you should aim for 3-4 times a day.

4) Medication:
In addition to the daily regime of NSAID's, you should consider taking Glucosamine as well. It's been shown to help repair cartilage and connecting tissues.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
44 is still pretty young but, yah, you've reached an age where you're going to start noticing some wear and tear on your body. Normal muscle soreness is one thing but any stabbing/shooting/tearing/crunching/deep aching feelings are something else entirely. If you notice any of that, I would stop doing whatever triggers it and adapt your routine accordingly.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Some really good points have been raised in this thread.

Pain associated with aging: most men have big ego and too much pride. We sometimes train like we are still young, but our body can only take so much before something breaks. Good point on working out according to your age!

Resting: a very important part of healing and growing. I had an upper back pain recently and had to take it easy for few days. Also, a break can refresh you. Another great point there!

Forms and techniques: bad forms and techniques can cause injuries. Yeah, it's always a good idea to have good forms and techniques when working out. Good stuff there!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
I'm 42 and had similar issues. Glucosamine/Chondroitin helped the joints, but I found that the tendons were hurting. I discovered SuperCissusRX, and by the time I completed the first bottle, I literally felt ten years younger.

Seriously, I'm a good sized guy and I can move in any direction, get up off the ground, and lift completely pain free. This was not the case a few months ago, I felt old and creaky and couldn't get through a "great" workout without lots of pain.

Of course, see a doc and do your own due diligence. But this stuff has literally changed my life.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
I'm 42 and had similar issues. Glucosamine/Chondroitin helped the joints, but I found that the tendons were hurting. I discovered SuperCissusRX, and by the time I completed the first bottle, I literally felt ten years younger.
I've heard good things about that product. I might try that to deal with some recurring back pain I've been dealing with the last couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness