Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times

Advertisements

This is a car that I could consider in a couple years after the initial depreciation hit. I love the styling, all-aluminum construction, light weight, beautiful interior and handling characteristics. It should potentially be very reliable too, since the 276hp motor is sourced from the Toyota Camry. It seems that this is exactly the car that the NSX should have evolved into.

My main gripe with the car is that I think at the current MSRP, it’s overpriced for the market. With a 5 sec+ 0-60 time, as much as I like the car, I think it will have a tough time selling with the competition. At $60K, it would be much more attractive.

Interested to see what people think about this car, likes and dislikes, and if you’d consider one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Honestly?

I think it's not bad looking at all, but I find it a bit too bland. There's nothing about it that particularly catches my fancy, so my money would easily go elsewhere.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I think the Toyota engines improve the reliability of Lotus cars to tolerable. The engines don't improve the rest of the car - still built by a horrible workforce in England.

I have been a Lotus fan since I was kid (think Europa). But the Elise/Exige all do nothing for me - mostly because they look kit cars. They are purpose built for track performance, and not practical enough on a daily basis for me.

The Evora is better looking, but it really doesn't excite me.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 PM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Been thinking about another NSX too...Except for the interior and styling (which is subjective), it would give me 90% of what the evora would for half the price. My NSX was the only car that I've ever sold that I've sincerely missed.

Which do you guys think is nicer looking, the Evora pictured above or:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xZgleVBbpdM/SMnNxhzgm7I/AAAAAAAAAMQ/Gq22OYSvzYM/s640/CIMG0885.JPG (broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'm not sure what they were aiming for with this car, especially with the 2+2 configuration. Ignoring the useless and pointless back seat, it's like they're splitting the difference between the MR2 turbo and the NSX, with the performance more toward the former and the price point closer to the latter.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
The NSX actually looks better (ext) in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'm pretty OK with the Evora's looks, especially compared to the ungainly Elise/Exige which I just don't get at all. But as noted in the OP, it underperforms for a car in its market and price range.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm pretty OK with the Evora's looks, especially compared to the ungainly Elise/Exige which I just don't get at all. But as noted in the OP, it underperforms for a car in its market and price range.
I think the Tesla version body looks better, and it seems to perform better at 0-60. Of course the Tesla is not as practical, nor in the same price range. The NSX looks fairly ok for a design over 20 years old, better in person than pictures.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
It's a lot of money for a car that ultimately is a lightweight chassis with a Toyota drivetrain in it. They look good, they perform good, but I can think of a lot of sports cars I would buy first too.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I digress from everyone else... I love the Evora. I think the styling definitely beats the NSX - the NSX is a really sharp car, especially in person, but it was designed in the late 80's and it's showing its vintage now. I love the performance of the NSX, they're a blast to drive, but the Evora looks way better.

Performance-wise, I was a little bit disappointed when I read the 0-60's... ten years ago, it would be acceptable, but in this day and age, you can buy a four-door/five-seat sedan that gets 0-60 a tick faster and costs half as much. It has the handling to back it up, no doubt, but I, too, worry that it won't find enough of a niche because it looks like it gets from 0-60 about two seconds faster than it actually does...

I'd buy one, definitely. I'd then promptly find a Nissan Maxima that had been rear-ended or rolled and scrap its 290bhp VQ35DE, then send it to the shop and get it tuned up a bit, maybe to the 375-ish range, and drop it in there... it'd take a bit of work and money but could be done (they drop SR20DET's and K20A's into Elises all the time), and then it'd have the guts to back up the looks.

I imagine that at some point, they're going to have to step up to the plate and offer a beefed-up version that's been massaged to more bhp, or smack a turbo on there to stay competetive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands