Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times

Advertisements

If youve never driven the McLarens on track you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and have no leg to stand on. In the real world the latest McLaren is much better on track than the previous. Im sure the newest will not disappoint in will also be another big step forward.
Although I thought the midseatinging position was a neat novelty especially since formula cars are my favorite to race it really did add alot of unneeded weight. The F1 actually feels like a dumptruck on track after spending a bunch of time at speed in the MC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,219 times
Suit yourself I guess. The P1 will never achieve the classic status of the F1. Nobody is ever going to look back at it and say WOW, that was a high mark in automotive engineering. Its just another also-ran in the current supercar market boom. There are at least 2 other hybrid supercars hitting the market at the same time with similar or better performance. Porsche 908 and Ferrari F150. Theres nothing special about the P1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
The F1 actually feels like a dumptruck on track after spending a bunch of time at speed in the MC.
Says the guy whose never even seen one in person.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
These debates are funny.

"The car I can't afford is better than the car you can't afford"

Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Suit yourself I guess. The P1 will never achieve the classic status of the F1. Nobody is ever going to look back at it and say WOW, that was a high mark in automotive engineering. Its just another also-ran in the current supercar market boom. There are at least 2 other hybrid supercars hitting the market at the same time with similar or better performance. Porsche 908 and Ferrari F150. Theres nothing special about the P1.

Says the guy whose never even seen one in person.

Wrong.. Ive got quite a few miles on track with 2 different F1s and tons of tracktime in 5 different MCs. The MCs are quite a common track car here in the Northeast now. Ive done maybe about 10 miles on the street in an F1 and absolutely 0 in an MC, but I could care less as any car like that on the street is a complete waste IMHO but to each his own.
You dont ever really see F1s on a track anymore but I still see Will Turner's F1 regularly in the paddock at my home track just 10 minutes down the road.
Too bad for you that you prob will never see one or have the pleasure of flogging one at 10/10s on a racetrack.

Last edited by LRPct; 02-28-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Default Lrp?

How does the Mclaren handle the last turn onto the front straight? What sort of lap times are you getting? Ever drive it, the track or the car, in the rain?

My win the lottery supercar is a Factory 5 Daytona Coup with a modest Ford 347 cid crate engine.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Wrong.. Ive got quite a few miles on track with 2 different F1s and tons of tracktime in 5 different MCs.
LOL yeah I'm so sure.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How does the Mclaren handle the last turn onto the front straight? What sort of lap times are you getting? Ever drive it, the track or the car, in the rain?

My win the lottery supercar is a Factory 5 Daytona Coup with a modest Ford 347 cid crate engine.

Both McLarens are great at at Lime Rock.. esp fun in the uphill and of course the downhill as well. They might just touch 152-154 mph before having to brake for Big Bend. Never put a timer to it put she must be one of the few sub 1 minute street cars at Lime Rock. Wouldnt be surprised if it was a mid 58s car there. They have llooong legs so they are even MUCH more fun at places like Watkns Glen or Monticello. Its one of a very few street cars where you can actually use the brakes fully lap after lap without killing them. The busstop is wicked fun in the MC. A lil downforce goes along way in that section. The boot is a hoot as well, esp the toe. Hearing it shriek WFO for so long down Monticellos almost mile long straight is one sweet sound. She can touch 172-174mpg before having to clamp the binders on the end of the back straight. Compare that to about 158mph for a GTR or 152 for a CTSV, both of whichs big brembos are toast after 3 laps at that place. Only drove one McLaren in the wet, an MC at Monticello once with a slight drizzle. It was ok. I was pretty tentative as that was the first one I ever drove and it was supposedly only the second one imported into the U.S. at the time. I still drove her pretty hard. Again the downforce is very comforting at speed.The owner was not so tentative and spun it harmlessly into the grass in a lower speed corner once that day.

As far as Lime Rock in the rain, yes Ive got literally tens of thousands of miles on it in the rain. Shes a much more manageable beast since the repave but she still has tons of lil tricks to her that only those with hundreds/thousands of laps can really pick up on. The lefthander for one is totally different wet or dry since the repave and it took quite a few data sessions to convince even us Lime Rock veterans of the line change needed there.

Last edited by LRPct; 02-28-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
LOL yeah I'm so sure.

Yes me too..very sure of it... AND I got paid pretty well for every lap too. Except for that one drive in the F1 I took on the street which was just a treat for me by the owner for his appreciation for coaching his son. And which I only accepted because at THAT time I had never driven an F1 at all. It was years later that I got to drive an F1 on track for filming for TV in which I got to drive the MC back to back with the F1.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,814 times
This will be a fantastic car but no car from McLaren will get my respect other than the F1. I've gotten to sit in a Euro-spec F1 and I regret not being able to drive it. Proper gearbox, naturally aspirated V12, seat in the middle and totally without compromise. Maybe someday..... I don't even look twice at supercars now. I just shrug my shoulders and move on. They aren't exciting to me and I don't like them. The ZR1 and the Porsche GT2/3 and R8/Gallardo are the only ones that I take an inkling of interest in. The rest are just boring.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

To be so ignorant as to the engineering aspects, the capabilities, and the R&D that goes into making such a vehicle is a travesty. If I have the money, the McLaren is one of the first vehicles I'd put in my garage because of the sheer complexity of engineering and mechanical process. You sir have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with such an incongruous comment.
I completely agree. I've driven one. It's precision defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands