Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The downside to these was its airbag suspension that costs a fortune when it's time to replace.

I agree. However, having owned a Lincoln Town Car, its not a deal breaker. I would most likely consider replacing the air suspension with struts. Chances are many owners who are selling a Lincoln Mark VIII may have done that already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post

Hey GTOLover, you gave me an idea. The Lincoln Mark VIII was a legitimate American GT supercar - beautiful, well made, agile and fast. I considered it the poor man's Aston Martin, and always admired them. Plus, its a Ford and is pretty reliable. They can be found in excellent condition as low as 5K. Hmmmm. As much as I love the British GT's the Mark VIII makes much better sense and is far easier on the budget. Hmmmmm
Those cars were amazing (aside from airbag suspension)
Beautiful interior (love that wrap-around cockpit) great ride, plenty of power...
That engine remains my favorite Ford engine. Possibly the biggest reason why I don't want my wife to trade in her Aviator.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
70s Rolls Royce? No better way to show off you had $5000 to spend.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Those cars were amazing (aside from airbag suspension)
Beautiful interior (love that wrap-around cockpit) great ride, plenty of power...
That engine remains my favorite Ford engine. Possibly the biggest reason why I don't want my wife to trade in her Aviator.
Those are 300,000 mile engines in the Mark VIII, lots of power, and 25mpg on the highway. Cheap parts. I love the interior too. Best of all, terrible resale value means you can find great buys!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
I find it interesting that your choices are all 4 doors except the BMW, which are 2dr coupes. Quite a bit different than the rest.

If it were me, I'd be getting another BMW 740i. I loved my '98 740iL and would replace it with an '01 740i Sport or 750iL Sport (though the lighter 740i Sport is more what I'd be wanting to drive). They are easy to work on, fast, excellent handling cars that are still comfy for long distance cruising.

Here's my last one:

And what I'd replace it with:

Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
I'd stay away from the Jag if for no other reason than everyone I've known that owned one experienced a 5:1 ratio uptime vs. downtime.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:57 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Rolls, or the corresponding Bentley, obviously. I've been researching them for decades, and it's all a matter of your proximity to a mechanic/shop you can trust (and who won't swap out your good parts for bad ones, the way jewelers swap out your diamonds, when you take your things in for cleaning...) . It's all about the quality of the mechanic. If you don't have access to a good Mechanic, then you can forget about owning a Rolls Royce.

We drove used Volvos from 'first-car' onward, until our final Swedish-owned Volvos were too old to be practical. It was ALL about the Mechanic. We had good ones. Rolls are basically Volvos (the real ones: not those Frankenvolvos made by Ford) - only twice as heavy, and four times as complex, mechanically. But both marques can be kept on the road indefinitely, and both say "I am somebody", no longer how old they are (assuming they are in good colors, and not 'tricked-out' in any way). They will set you apart.

Basically, when you buy a real English one, it's like joining a profession. You're connected to the other professionals (in this case, other Rolls owners), and spend a great deal of time keeping current, the same way a professional keeps-current to adhere to licensing requirements. Santa brought me a new one, a couple of years back, but that one didn't count. It was German, and we mostly just used it as a playpen, rather than driving it. Anyway, it sat in its climate-controlled garage, and was gone before the tire treads got worn down much. So, my experience does not count.

With a Rolls, you should budget fifteen thousand Dollars for getting all maintenance current (one assumes that the previous owner - who has coddled the car, and kept it in tip-top shape - has died, and that the car has been sitting for a year or more, as the Owner segued into the next world). That figure would NOT include repainting/reupholstery/veneers refinishing/major repairs. Then, you should assume another ten thousand for yearly maintenance/minor repairs & replacements. Driving the car actually keeps it fit, so plan on taking it out regularly. You don't save money by not driving an English Rolls.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
1. Early 2000's Jaguar XJR

2. 1995 or later BMW 840i or 850i

3. Late '70's Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II or Silver Wraith II

4. 1979 - 86 Maserati Quattroporte
I think I would pick between the BMW and the Rolls. I would imagine that you would need a much larger maintenance budget for the Rolls even though you would drive it a lot less.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM

87 posts, read 104,408 times
Default Jaguar XJ!!

For me the XJR all the way! I may only be 26, but I love, love, love the Jaguar XJ. I HATE what they did to after the previosu model, they got rid of such a timeless sillouette withh the weird looking modern XJ.

The R is my favorite version- the mesh grille, big tires and low stance get me everytime I see one. I wanted one- didn't care if it was stanard, R or Vanden Plas, until I moved to Brooklyn. Now I don't have much use for one. But I did tell myself if I do get a car, that will be it.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Any of those are going to be money pits and be riddled with electrical gremlins.

Were it me, I'd pick the Rolls because they are moderately solid.

With the Jag, I suppose you could swap in a Small Block Chevy Engine.
+1. Give me something practical any day over these. A good Toyota SUV is a great choice-something to haul stuff and dogs and I'm not afraid to get dirty. I already have one, as a matter of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands