Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:17 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times

Advertisements

There is a weekly show during the summer in Redmond, WA: Exotics at RTC. With all the tech money around, never know what may turn up. I show my Guards Red 911 GTS in Porsche row, often as not.

Couple years ago, a Ferrari rolls in. Meh: they’re all gorgeous, but… but nothing: this was a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. The most exotic car on earth. Owned by Greg Whitten, early employee at Microsoft, Harvard math Ph. D., and former tech guru at the chief architect level of a company with total assets in the hundreds of billions. He was busy optimizing products like, y’know, BASIC and MS Office, when those were young.

I just nodded and smiled as I admired his ride. It had a sound like no other, when he left an hour or two later. "Roaring V12" is just words; had to be heard.

And, it just sold for $48 million dollars. I was thinking maybe $20M when I saw it, given the race history and scarcity. Maybe Greg was sitting around one day recently and said, “Eh, time for more strutting money, the weekend is coming up!"

Yeah, he owns other exotics, like a blue LaFerrari that is a helluva sight, too. But it’s no 250 GTO. Other than a nod and handshake when I saw him at a place in Medina, WA later (small elite town: just one store, post office, city hall, police station, and a beach), I don’t know the man. Probably a good friend to have, though.

Guess I’m not too envious, just in awe. I’m doing okay and will retire in upper middle class comfort some years from now. Old Greg earned every nickel he has, no doubt in Microsoft options and much more, and he’s forgotten more applied mathematics than I ever learned. Still, one wonders what that kind of disposable cash opens up in terms of opportunities for philanthropy, travel, doing what you truly “want” in life. I think after the first couple hundred million, you probably find other avenues of personal fulfillment vs. just spending.

Sale Article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/27/1962...s-auction.html

My Shot, Spring 2016:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 07:26 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Greg was a regular attendee at my old BSCC autocross events, too, with his Ford GT40 and Ferrari F40 (I got to ride in the F40 with him). We always had a bunch of Microsofties at the track with us. Neil Konzen was another who would show up with his F40 and a few other Ferraris. Never got to see the GTO in person, but heard about it.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:51 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
There is a guy in my town that has a real 250 GTO with about a dozen other antique Ferraris. He will drive it on the street like it was a Miata! To add to the insanity, he races it on the track!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Who owns the Ferrari house for sale in Seattle area? The over the top basically car display home that’s been for sale for a few years (maybe it finally sold, randomly found it on Zillow years ago)

Old 09-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Who owns the Ferrari house for sale in Seattle area? The over the top basically car display home that’s been for sale for a few years (maybe it finally sold, randomly found it on Zillow years ago)
Had not heard of this...ghetto, or tastefully done?

There are unusual homes in Medina, which is adjacent to Clyde Hill and Bellevue and not part of "Seattle" per se; more like what we call "Eastside." It's a town, village, or city of it's own, with small post office as I mentioned. I would guess not much more than several square miles. Couple billionaires, at least, many millionaires in the hundreds of mil. Much of it Microsoft money...the kind of money where you do what you want, like somehow heating a driveway (yes, can be done) to keep it ice-free in the infrequent freeze-overs. And so much more. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Mr. Whitten had a home with built out showroom just for exotics, in fact I do recall he provided tours of his garage to at least one group of journalists.

They're there, living relatively quietly with the most exotic of exotic toys. Look around a bit, you'll see seaplanes and other wonky stuff on docks there, too (all on Lake Washington). Great five mile walk called "Evergreen Point Loop (trail)" which I've taken many times goes by many gorgeous properties, all nestled in the woods and mild hills. Tons of surveillance there, too, testing the old adage about "liberty vs. safety," they say. Some is obvious, other not. From the polite people I've met on that trail, pretty sure you could drop a full wallet in Medina Park and would be promptly returned to the police station half mile away in about an hour w/every cent.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Had not heard of this...ghetto, or tastefully done?

There are unusual homes in Medina, which is adjacent to Clyde Hill and Bellevue and not part of "Seattle" per se; more like what we call "Eastside." It's a town, village, or city of it's own, with small post office as I mentioned. I would guess not much more than several square miles. Couple billionaires, at least, many millionaires in the hundreds of mil. Much of it Microsoft money...the kind of money where you do what you want, like somehow heating a driveway (yes, can be done) to keep it ice-free in the infrequent freeze-overs. And so much more. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Mr. Whitten had a home with built out showroom just for exotics, in fact I do recall he provided tours of his garage to at least one group of journalists.

They're there, living relatively quietly with the most exotic of exotic toys. Look around a bit, you'll see seaplanes and other wonky stuff on docks there, too (all on Lake Washington). Great five mile walk called "Evergreen Point Loop (trail)" which I've taken many times goes by many gorgeous properties, all nestled in the woods and mild hills. Tons of surveillance there, too, testing the old adage about "liberty vs. safety," they say. Some is obvious, other not. From the polite people I've met on that trail, pretty sure you could drop a full wallet in Medina Park and would be promptly returned to the police station half mile away in about an hour w/every cent.
It looked somewhat normal from front, but had a 458 or 488 parked on the driveway (only reason I clicked on it) garage opens to a car elevator which then becomes center of the very nicely done car showroom on the upper level. Had a living room separated by glass from showroom with Ferrari red couches and chairs. The kitchen overlooking had all Ferrari red cabinets. Was listed as bachelor pad and I can’t seem to find it for sale or sold. Was asking $4.5m. Honestly it’s a overall terrible house with a tiny minuscule market, thus why it was for sale for years.

I follow real estate as a hobby, I’ve often looked at homes in the area you mention.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:46 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
From the polite people I've met on that trail, pretty sure you could drop a full wallet in Medina Park and would be promptly returned to the police station half mile away in about an hour w/every cent.
I have, and it will. Actually, I got a call on my mobile directly from the finder due to one of my business cards in my wallet.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I have, and it will. Actually, I got a call on my mobile directly from the finder due to one of my business cards in my wallet.
Cool: let's go hiking. I'll be behind you. I'm from nearby Kirkland, though: you know how they are

(Counts stack of ill-gotten $20s, humming and grinning).

Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 PM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
I don’t understand how you could part with a GTO if you were a Ferrari guy as it’s the pinnacle... it’s all downhill from there. I’ve got a couple of cars (purchased long long ago) that I don’t think I could part with despite their current values.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I don’t understand how you could part with a GTO if you were a Ferrari guy as it’s the pinnacle... it’s all downhill from there. I’ve got a couple of cars (purchased long long ago) that I don’t think I could part with despite their current values.
I just purchased a car that I'm fairly sure in 20 to 50 years will be a rolling classic . The trick will be if I choose to keep it that long . It's a Ford Shelby GT 350 R . The GT350 is interesting , the R model just that much more exotic . Production numbers for 2018 are about 660 units of the R model in particular . So far they've made GT350's 2015 (very few ) - 2018, with limited production in 2019 and unclear how many will be made in 2020 model year . For 2020 , they're building a GT500 which will almost certainly cannibalize demand for the GT350 .

I don't know the production numbers for the GT350 and GT500 back in the 1960s although I'm sure I could look it up . It's just one of those cars that is destined to be a rolling classic at least here in United States . 20 years from now, frankly I'm going to be old . 30 years from now, glad to still be above ground . 40, isn't gonna happen . Maybe I should hold that GT350 R and pass it on to someone ... Think Clint Eastwood's character in that movie Gran Torino from about 10 years ago , I think that's how it's gonna go for me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands