Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM

69 posts, read 140,688 times

Advertisements

I work from home and need high speed internet to do so. My wife and I have been looking to move to Fairbanks for over a year now and are starting to get things in line.

How fair does HSI extend from Fairbanks?
Does North Pole, Fox and Ester have it?
How far down Chena Hot Springs Rd do people have it (Smallwood Trail)?
How about houses near Goldstream Rd (Leta St)?
How about near Tanana Valley State Forest (Frida Way)?
How about Farmers Loop?

I'm not expecting 5 MBS or anything. Just faster than dial up. 1 MBS would be plenty. Satelitte could work, but it is painfully show and the bandwidth caps are problematic.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc5831 View Post
I work from home and need high speed internet to do so. My wife and I have been looking to move to Fairbanks for over a year now and are starting to get things in line.

How fair does HSI extend from Fairbanks?
Does North Pole, Fox and Ester have it?
How far down Chena Hot Springs Rd do people have it (Smallwood Trail)?
How about houses near Goldstream Rd (Leta St)?
How about near Tanana Valley State Forest (Frida Way)?
How about Farmers Loop?

I'm not expecting 5 MBS or anything. Just faster than dial up. 1 MBS would be plenty. Satelitte could work, but it is painfully show and the bandwidth caps are problematic.

Thanks
Bandwidth caps on Hughesnet isn't bad, it is worse on ACS. When you exceed the limits, your computer will slow down to dial up speed for 24 hours, then speed back up, they don't charge you like the others do. Also if you download at night during off peak times, they don't count that as bandwidth used.

Don't deal with Starband other than when I replace them for the people that switched to Hughesnet. As long as you can see the sun at about 1130 AM and can point your outstreached are at it about a foot off the horizon pointing your fingers, you can get Satellite Internet where ever you are in the interior.

At Chena Hot Springs, they have about four Hughesnet systems installed for the complex and it works fine.

If you are running a business, instead of the resident 1 watt transmitter, you can get a 2 watt transmitter on a one meter dish that works really well and very fast.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 PM

69 posts, read 140,688 times
Thanks for the info. I'm a pretty heavy interest user with work and play. Over the last 4 months I've used 41 gb, 34 gb, 60 gb of bandwidth. As you can see, caps could be a problem.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
Try Alaska Connect. If you are line of site, they are a great deal.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 46,431 times
High speed internet in Fairbanks is a sad, sad joke. I had 3Mbps DSL through ACS (which isn't capped, I dunno what the above poster is talking about, I had it maxed out almost constantly for a year) in Fox, but I know other people in Fox who can't get any wired connectivity. Now I live at the bottom of Murphy Dome (literally 10 minutes away from UAF which has the fastest internet connection in the state) and can't get anything (including AC Wireless/Alasconnect, their tower in the Ester area is full and they won't be accepting new customers for it until October when they are due to upgrade it) except satellite (ACS has DSL in the area but my local DSLAM is full and they have no plans to upgrade it). I would bite the bullet and get HughesNet (everyone I've talked to there is incredibly helpful and after being stuck with dial-up I would pay ANYTHING right now) except they require a 2 year contract and I am hopeful that something will become available in the next 2 years.

Why yes, I am just a bit bitter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks