Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 29,529 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I will come to visit Fairbanks and Denali National Park in September. We plan to camp in Denali and will bring most of the camping equipment with us. However, there are some items, such as Bear Resistant Food Canisters, Bear Bell, Bear Spray, which will be useless after this trip. So, we are thinking of renting them after coming to Fairbanks.

Can anyone recommend a camping equipment rental store near Fairbanks? I searches on google but didn't find useful information. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
You can check out a Bear Cannister from the Rangers at the park entrance. I can't remember if there is a deposit/fee required or a reservation list. You may want to call them to ask.

A bear bell is like 2 bucks, and a can of bear spray is ten. I doubt anyone rents stuff like that.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 29,529 times
Thanks for your information. I will call the park ranger later.

On Amazon.com, a bear spray is at least $35.00, and we need two. Where did you find the ten dollar ones? At local stores?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I would avoid getting can's of spray then attempting to fly with them. They won't allow them in your carry on's, and with the presure changes your can in you checked may explode. That one of those thing better to buy when you get there.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viterbi2009 View Post
Hello, my wife and I will come to visit Fairbanks and Denali National Park in September. We plan to camp in Denali and will bring most of the camping equipment with us. However, there are some items, such as Bear Resistant Food Canisters, Bear Bell, Bear Spray, which will be useless after this trip. So, we are thinking of renting them after coming to Fairbanks.

Can anyone recommend a camping equipment rental store near Fairbanks? I searches on google but didn't find useful information. Thanks a lot!
There are a number of sporting stores that sell the bear spray, you can maybe sell it cheap on the way out if you didn't have your wife hose you with it by accident before you leave..

Having said that though, a good walking stick is just about the best choice for hiking in bear country... When your wife is fast than you, you can smack her in the knee so you can outrun her.... That should cover you...

But other than that, hope you bring a good camera system to take a lot of pictures and have a good time.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Get the bear food can from the park. I just dropped off my bear spray and an extra butane canister at Beaver Sports (near UAF) on my way back to the airport and told the lady behind the counter that anyone who wanted them could have them. Better than throwing them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks