Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
They should expect to be hassled at the border. Teens crossing may be suspected of carrying drugs, could have their car thoroughly searched and may need to meet all of the entry requirements (show enough cash to get through Canada, paperwork on items transported, etc.). Just make sure they are not carrying anything illegal in Canada and tell them to be polite and answer only the questions asked. It's best to be prepared for it even if the officer ends up waving them through after the passport check.

Also, it's probably not a problem here, but if anyone traveling has a DUI, they likely to be denied entry.
We were denied once going to the states when we were younger. Wanted to go down to Whitefish, MT from BC. Were denied. Why? Why not, either country can refuse entry to their nation if they so please.
Of course, it was an hour to midnight, we told him we were trying to go to a party and were chasing some girls down there. Plus one buddy in backseat had already been drinking. They also asked us about money, and we said we didn't have any.
In retrospect, not the smartest plan. But we were young and dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 PM

28 posts, read 46,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
make sure have enough expenses to cover gas costs. in Canada the gas is at the premium cost figure. Walmart money card is good to get. can deposit more cash onto the credit card by purchasing money pack at walmarts. Bob's car at Walmart Fairbanks, Alaska 2009
Nice pic, thanks for the info!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Actual Time Sunrise: 10:42 AM AKST Sunset 2:44 PM AKST for Fair banks.

4 hours of sunlight, we start gaining light back after December 21st.

Fairbanks, Alaska (99701) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
So there is some daylight hours even after 12/21, that is good to know, I was thinking it was going to completely dark all day until around the end of January.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Yes, we already have AAA and have got the highest membership so he will have that with him. Also got him the biggest AAA emergency roadside kit they had. I have been checking into crossing the border and their requirements. Neither of them have ever had a DUI, so that is not a problem, and they don't do drugs. I have the usual written down to make sure they have: drivers license, passport, birth certificate, car registration and insurance, proof of funds (credit cards, do I really need copies of bank statements?), verification that he is accepted to UAF but have not heard of "paperwork on items transported". What is this? He is bringing with him the bare necessities, clothes, computers, etc.. and we are probably going to ship the rest of his belongings to him, not enough room in the car to bring everything. So what is paperwork on items transported, and also will he need to bring anything else with him?

Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Forgot to ask something - - the friend going with him is flying here from Fairbanks and driving back with him, so besides their passport, what else will his friend need as far as paperwork when they cross the border??

Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Look Shelley, just tell him to take it easy and get good rest every night. I wouldn't drive more than 14 hours. Your body is going to need quality rest every night.
I've driven from Calgary Alberta to Phoenix before, and it was a nightmare because I didn't rest. Doing driving in shifts might get you there faster, but you'll be very fatigues. And the roads where you need the most concentration are the last part through Ft.nelson to Alaska.
As for the partying, well he's 19, not 49. He's going to want to have a few and enjoy his life. Calgary and Edmonton are cities of one million people and there is lots to do there. He could have the time of his life not to mention have some good stories to tell his mother the next time he sees her.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly in Colorado View Post
Yes, we already have AAA and have got the highest membership so he will have that with him. Also got him the biggest AAA emergency roadside kit they had. I have been checking into crossing the border and their requirements. Neither of them have ever had a DUI, so that is not a problem, and they don't do drugs. I have the usual written down to make sure they have: drivers license, passport, birth certificate, car registration and insurance, proof of funds (credit cards, do I really need copies of bank statements?), verification that he is accepted to UAF but have not heard of "paperwork on items transported". What is this? He is bringing with him the bare necessities, clothes, computers, etc.. and we are probably going to ship the rest of his belongings to him, not enough room in the car to bring everything. So what is paperwork on items transported, and also will he need to bring anything else with him?
They may be required to show cash, say $500. It could be more or it could be less. For most, a credit card will suffice, but if they want to be harda$$es, they'll want to see some $$.

From the CBSA site:

In-transit travel through Canada

If you are an American resident, you can transport goods through Canada to the United States. To simplify the clearance process, carry three copies of the list of goods you are transporting. The list should include the description and value of the goods, as well as the serial numbers (if applicable). You should pack consumable goods such as alcohol, tobacco and food in containers that the border services officers can close and seal when you arrive.

bsf5082: Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents

I've never made a list, but if they can force you to make one at the border, delaying you. It's mainly for big items - computers, cameras, furniture, etc. They've never sealed food items either when I've crossed.

The friend just needs his passport and they may want to see if he has enough funds.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 PM

23 posts, read 40,345 times
I just drove the Alcan last summer. I had car trouble and had to be towed a hundred miles to the nearest shop, and had to stay in that town while they fixed my vehicle, since parts had to be shipped in. It made my trip several days longer and much more costly. These sorts of drives can be rough on cars, even ones that are in good shape.

To be honest, I think it is possible that between the cost of winterizing, gasoline, hotels, even not including any auto trouble along the way, that it would cost little more to sell the vehicle, fly up, and buy a car here, and could even cost less, depending on how the trip goes. Canada is more expensive than the lower 48, which can make the trip very pricey.

You can expect to pay more for a car in Alaska, but that is somewhat offset by it likely already being winterized and having tires that are safe for winter driving.

Something to think about, even besides the safety concerns.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
they are going to have to show a card of insurance from your auto insurance company!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM

I have a question to the people that are knowledgeable about tire chains. I checked out passenger car tire chains and it appears the best are either Thule CS10 or Security Chain Company Super Z6. It is recommended that for FWD you put chains on all 4 tires, Thule would be very expensive to cover all 4 tire, SCC would be more reasonable per pair. The main difference I see is the price, and Thule you do not need to get back into your car and roll of the chains after unhooking them, with SCC you unhook them, then have to get back in your car to roll off them. But if either getting back into your car to roll off them or not is the main difference, and theyboth pretty much perform the same, I think that saving over $200 is worth getting the more reasonably priced SCC ones. Do any of you have any experience with either of these brands and have recommendations on one over the other, or anybody suggest a better tire chain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks