Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times

Advertisements

me thinks there are other issues going on here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM

28 posts, read 46,065 times
I've tried to convince him to fly, believe me I have, but he won't listen! I really don't think that is an option anymore. The best I can do now, besides getting him a new 4x4 which I can't afford, is to equip him with the what he will need to make it up there and survive the drive, and hope and pray he doesn't get stranded or get into an accident. He is planning on leaving 1/7 so there is only 30 days left to get him prepared and his car equiped with the stuff it needs. I just ordered the Milepost and have been reading a bunch of threads and writing down all the good info to go over with him.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM

261 posts, read 505,831 times
Ok, if he won't fly then you are right to make the best of it. Buying the milepost was a great move. Make sure he has plenty of gas, two spare tires, a shovel, an emergency kit with blankets and food, flares, extra money in case of repairs, and tell him not to drive at night. Make him read this thread as well as the other one so that he goes into this with his eyes open.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
sell the lumina if its your car....if that is not an option he probably likes risk. it is his tail and some kids learn that way.....try not to worry.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Yup. Some kids just need to do crazy stuff. If there's one thing you can convince him to do, I'd say tell him to be very careful at night. Lots of animals on the road.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly in Colorado View Post
I've tried to convince him to fly, believe me I have, but he won't listen! I really don't think that is an option anymore. The best I can do now, besides getting him a new 4x4 which I can't afford, is to equip him with the what he will need to make it up there and survive the drive, and hope and pray he doesn't get stranded or get into an accident. He is planning on leaving 1/7 so there is only 30 days left to get him prepared and his car equiped with the stuff it needs. I just ordered the Milepost and have been reading a bunch of threads and writing down all the good info to go over with him.
Well, in a way he's doing what he's supposed to be doing at this age, making his mother a nervous wreck. My son did the same at 19 only he decided he'd fly to Europe for awhile and travel around staying in hostels. He landed in Napoli at eleven at night.

We got involved with his trip as a way to ease our nerves...bought him a Eurail pass and worked with him on his itinerary. Of course as his poor old mother, the whole ordeal aged me about twenty five years but he ended up having the time of his life.

So--express the importance of not driving at night, please. If you can afford it, offer to pay for places to stay, and set those up online before he leaves. Work with him to map out a route and make sure he knows he won't always have cell service. In the thread Warpt posted, the guy seemed to think that he could just stop somewhere if they got tired, but it doesn't work that way. The distances are huge.

After he leaves, you might consider taking up drinking during the time that he is travelling. A combination of brandy, khalua, and cream is good for shattered nerves.

Don't forget that threats can be a powerful tool here. Among a nineteen year old's greatest fears is that of his mother making a scene Insist on nightly check ins with you and let him know that if he doesn't adhere to that, you will find a way to make one.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Just a little confused...He is 19 (by law an adult), you his parent see and sense problems galore...yet YOU are supporting this trip by footing the expense to get his vehicle in condition for the trip. Isn't that kinda like the tail wagging the dog.

19 year old kids tend to not weigh the consequences of their adventures...If it were my kid I would not be pouring money into a vehicle, or the adventure, for a trip that holds so much risk.

I have made the trip up to Alaska several times between November and March....that trip can be very unforgiving....the person that recommended flying was giving you wise advice....think about it !

Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM

If he's going to do it no matter what, she's smart to try to help him.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
Has he got a good head on his shoulders? If so, don't worry about it. If the car breaks down, then he's in for an adventure and a good story (I'm assuming some level of preparation for a very cold weather drive - being 19's no excuse for being retarded). I'd do it, and would have when I was 19.

I'm sure my mom would groan in exasperation if she read this

Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly in Colorado View Post
He is planning on leaving 1/7 so there is only 30 days left to get him prepared and his car equiped with the stuff it needs.
On 1/6/11: Steal the distrubutor cap and slash his tires. Put sugar in the gas tank, stick a potato...

...you get the idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks